Stolen: Speedmaster Tokyo Olympics "Rising Sun", Be on the Lookout

Another interesting element to this is Ebay's "Authenticity Guarantee", which states any watch over $2000 USD gets shipped to Stoll & Co for them to "authenticate" the watch before shipping it on to the buyer. Ive looked over the documentation at Ebay on this program and it makes no mention of checking serial numbers against the NCIC stolen watch database. That seems like it would be no brainer thing to do as part of this program. My local PD has already gathered all the evidence and will be issuing subpoenas to Ebay for buyer/seller information, given Ebay won't do squat to help victims until a judge forces them to.

The seller has quite the inventory (and sold listings) wondering how many of those are stolen.

And if I had a watch I loved stolen I would have saved searches for it on every platform and would sift through every listing to find it- for the rest of my life. Glad it only took you 2 years.
Edited:

The watch has gone through multiple hands over its two year post-theft journey, Jacob most likely had no idea of its hot history or he wouldn't have been so careless to post pictures with the serial number visible. He's not your culprit but he will be the one left holding the bag. Good luck in getting some eventual compensation from eBay. Better than nothing and certainly unexpected after this much time.

He's not your culprit but he will be the one left holding the bag.
I have similar thoughts. As a “dealer” he has more responsibility in my opinion to know where his stock comes from than the average bloke, but that doesnt mean he is the issue here. Depending on what happens (like he gets cleared of wrong doing and is helpful getting the watch back), maybe we can crowdfund his initial investment.

Any update?
Waiting for word back from my local authorities on status of the subpoena on Ebay... stay tune, I'll report updates back here when I have them.

I have similar thoughts. As a “dealer” he has more responsibility in my opinion to know where his stock comes from than the average bloke, but that doesnt mean he is the issue here. Depending on what happens (like he gets cleared of wrong doing and is helpful getting the watch back), maybe we can crowdfund his initial investment.
I had a friend who was a jewelerc he would buy scrap gold watches and jewelry from the local pawns, pull the stones, melt the gold and sell any watches with value. It was incumbent upon the pawns to run the checks, with the state police but he was dealing with a few shady pawns that were skirting the law and trading across state lines. He said he didn’t have knowledge of where they were getting it, but the FBI (who has been watching for some time) and a federal court said his ignorance wasn’t a justified excuse considering the volume and depth of his involvement- he went to prison for 4 years.

There is a weird but somewhat happy ending to this story. @repoman will be along shortly with details.

There is a weird but somewhat happy ending to this story. @repoman will be along shortly with details.
:🍿:
edit: why doesn't the !*$^&# popcorn bucket emoji work right anymore! lol

:🍿:
edit: why doesn't the !*$^&# popcorn bucket emoji work right anymore! lol
🍿

Because right now the command ": popcorn :" is connected to two different emojis. The bucket takes precedent apparently

:p

See what I mean? Where is the little dude snackin' on the corn .... shows up correctly in the draft but when you hit post it changes to just the bucket.

boom
bill-hader-eating-popcorn.gif
Edited:

Indeed, a most interesting turn of events. In my last update I was trying to get my local authorities (Henderson Nevada Police Dept, hereafter HPD) to assign my now very active property recovery case to a detective, have that detective issue a subpoena to Ebay for buyer/seller details, and then conduct suitable follow-ups to try and retrieve the watch.

Over the last several weeks, I visited HPD several times to ask for updates and to be a squeaky-wheel. It was obvious from the start that a property recovery case was going to be low on their priority list. In my last visit I also asked them to check the NCIC database to make sure my watch was still listed as stolen. I think it was a user here on OF that alerted me about NCIC db entries being purged at regular intervals, and sure enough, my watch was no longer in the NCIC db, much to the surprise of the officers, so they agreed to add it back again.

My persistence in being a nuisance paid off, a detective was finally assigned. I got a call from that detective, and that's when I received some good news. He had successfully subpoened EBay, got the seller/buyer identities, and had made contact with the buyer. Whoa!! The buyer confirmed they had the watch, and, verified the serial number was in fact my stolen watch ::psy:: You can imagine how I felt in the moment. First time in 2 years I felt like I was going to actually get the watch back. The detective let me know the buyer was a gentlemen in Los Angeles who was being very cooperative and understanding about the situation. That's when I had the first real amazing turn of events. The detective said the buyer wanted to know if I was a member of "omegaforums" 😲 I told the detective that yes, I am a member, and that he could pass along my personal information including my OF username to the buyer. A short while later he replied back that the buyer is a man named "Tony" in Los Angeles, and before he could even say any more, I was pretty sure I knew right there who it was. He went on to say "and he says he's a friend of yours" :cool: Yep, its definitely who I think it is, none other than my friend, and our very own @tpatta Talk about mixed emotions - on the one hand I'm over joyed that it looks like I'm getting my watch back, but now I learn it's my friend who was the unsuspecting buyer and that he is likely going to have a tough time getting his money back. (more on that in a second....)

Tony and I were able to speak with each other shortly after that and share in our joint amazement over this whole saga. I shared with him my whole story of acquiring the watch originally, having it stolen, searching for it, etc., and he shared with me his long journey of looking for this edition, acquiring it, attending an LA Olympic 2028 Omega event with it recently (and being the Belle of the Ball), only now to find himself in this situation. Really unbelievable. I also want to make it perfectly clear, Tony at no time suspected this watch was stolen, nor would I, had I been the buyer. I have bought multiple watches in a very similar situation (i.e. box, some papers, but some of the kit missing, like the warranty card - still everything seems to checkout ok so you go for it). Tony is 100% the victim here, I don't want anyone confused.

I am incredibly lucky that the person who ended up with the watch is a person with the highest level of personal integrity. Tony could have easily just told the detective "nope, sorry, its not the same watch", "sorry, already sold it", or a handful of other excuses in order to keep it, and that would have ended it right there. That's just not the type of person that Tony is. He and I have already sorted out getting the watch back to me and I look forward to the first "wristi" that will be posted in this thread this will be the first "wristi" I've ever taken with the watch as I've never actually worn it! This also begins a process for Tony to be made whole, which I don't want to get into much here, but its looking like a challenge. Let's hope the seller is a person of integrity who ultimately does the right thing. It is certainly in that seller's best interest to do so, trust me. I'd like nothing more than to sing the praises of this seller for doing the right thing and being a person of high integrity. We will see.

More to come.

for being a big world it is indeed a small place. Glad it has one third worked out! The other two thirds are buyer being made whole and scumbag thief being made less than whole (no idea if that is the seller who may also be unsuspecting?)

I reread the first post and see the detail on initial Buyer
Edited:

Encouraging news.

But I'm curious as to how the watch was stolen to begin with. You never wore the watch, but it wasn't with the box and papers when stolen. 🤔

This is absolutely wild. Props to @repoman for pushing as hard as you did and respect for @tpatta for being who you are. I wish you the best of luck in getting your resolution in this. I feel compelled to tag @dsio in this… it can be discouraging to see scams occasionally take place on this forum, but this story is so encouraging to see.

But I'm curious as to how the watch was stolen to begin with. You never wore the watch, but it wasn't with the box and papers when stolen. 🤔
Really?

This isn’t the first and won’t be the last watch stolen without the box and papers. @abrod520 I believe had his ST1 & ST2 stolen without the box and papers. I’ve seen threads on here where watches were stolen out of home safes without the box/papers. Shit happens.