Stolen: Speedmaster Tokyo Olympics "Rising Sun", Be on the Lookout

Encouraging news.

But I'm curious as to how the watch was stolen to begin with. You never wore the watch, but it wasn't with the box and papers when stolen. 🤔
You think that most people keep watches with the original box and papers?

Encouraging news.

But I'm curious as to how the watch was stolen to begin with. You never wore the watch, but it wasn't with the box and papers when stolen. 🤔
I understand your curiosity of course, there are reasons I'm leaving out some details of the theft. I'm sure it was a family member who stole the watch, although I didn't have hard evidence, only circumstantial. There was an entire criminal proceeding involved with that, which I'm not getting into. The watch was stored in its original boxes (both inner/outer), but only the watch, and the white pillow were actually stolen, so I didn't notice it was gone for some period of time because the box was still there. Imagine my shock in opening the box and seeing the watch was gone. Hopefully that's enough to satisfy your curiosity while allowing me just a bit of privacy in the criminal matter.

Encouraging news.

It's likely a matter of concealability and transportability more than anything. A lot of theft like this is done by family members or people like workers that might be in-and-out of your home. Wrist watches are perfect for crimes of opportunity because they are small and easily concealable, and they have value even without their box and papers. Also, it goes without saying that many opportunistic criminals are hardly the kind of people that have any idea how to properly sell or market something like this. Even if they do they're looking for a QUICK buck to move a "hot item" and have no interest in sitting on it for a prolonged period of time. Total return is NOT the goal (that's typically what the goal of someone who is buying stolen merchandise and reselling it is doing).

You think that most people keep watches with the original box and papers?

I don't. The boxes are stored somewhere out of my way, and I imagine that most people probably do the same thing probably, checking them away in a closet or in the garage, or basement.

A dedicated home invader could easily get a hold of both assuming they felt they had time, but there's nothing covert about your average home invasion. Also, I'm not a home Invader so I can't speak for that type of person, but I have to question whether or not they would be interested in even carrying the box. It takes a lot of space and really does not add much in the way of value.

I don't. The boxes are stored somewhere out of my way, and I imagine that most people probably do the same thing probably, checking them away in a closet or in the garage, or basement.
Exactly. It's hard enough to find a place to store my watches that is easily accessible.

Exactly. It's hard enough to find a place to store my watches that is easily accessible.
Agree--Accessible to me for rotation, not accessible to would-be home invaders.

This is an amazing story and does speak to how small the watch community really is. Even if the fight for @tpatta is fruitless (can’t imagine eBay wants to be implicated directly in the selling of stolen property- and doesn’t their mandatory “authentication” process account for cross referencing serial numbers?) I am a firm believer in karma and sir, you have some serious watch karma coming your way!

I hope that eBay will refund @tpatta and go after the seller for the money. Selling stolen property is against eBay policy and the documentation is clear.

Really?

This isn’t the first and won’t be the last watch stolen without the box and papers. @abrod520 I believe had his ST1 & ST2 stolen without the box and papers. I’ve seen threads on here where watches were stolen out of home safes without the box/papers. Shit happens.
I'm not doubting his report. I just don't see how it happens. He had never worn the watch.

and doesn’t their mandatory “authentication” process account for cross referencing serial numbers?
Cross referencing with what? The serial number had been purged from the NCIC database.

I'm not doubting his report. I just don't see how it happens. He had never worn the watch.

I don't know if it helps any but statistics that I have seen suggest that anywhere from 66 to 90+ % of all robberies are committed by someone that you know... because they know what you have and possibly even where you keep it, so even @repoman 's personal situation aside, that's probably "how it happens" in many cases.

Cross referencing with what? The serial number had been purged from the NCIC database.
I addressed all this in an earlier post in this thread. Ebay "Authentication" for watches does not make any attempt to check for stolen items. the authenticator (Stoll & Co) compare the item received from the seller, to what was advertised in the Ebay auction, to determine if the watch is the same one that was listed, (e.g. not a Chinese clone if the ad said it was an authentic Swiss watch). NCIC doesn't apply here at all. I have asked Ebay to consider adding this as an additional step in their authentication process, but I think it entirely unlikely that will happen. In most states in the USA, pawn shops are required by law to check items they receive against the NCIC database, and if stolen, take possession of said items and turn them over to law enforcement. Seems reasonable to me, Ebay should be forced to do the same, otherwise it just becomes a channel for stolen goods.

I would like to add, Ebay hides behind several legal protections when it comes to the buying and selling of stolen goods on their platform. First, Ebay is shielded by Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, which gives them immunity since they are neither buyer or seller and as long as they didn't know it was a stolen item. Second, they only have to remove a live auction if they are properly notified it is a stolen item, and there are hoops you have to jump through for that. Third, after an auction is complete and the item is sold, they don't even want you to contact them at all, they tell you go report it to law enforcement, its a criminal issue, once subpoenaed they will hand over information. As for Ebay providing reimbursements, that is not policy. They have a "Moneyback Guarantee" policy but that mostly covers when the seller doesn't ship your item, or what you got is grossly different than was was advertised. It specifically does not cover stolen goods, although if the anecdotal reports of some people getting Ebay reimbursement for stolen items is true, it would have been done using this policy as its the closest policy that applies.
Edited:

I am soooo happy for you ...what great news! My parents bought me a Seiko UFO Chronograph for my high school graduation. Unfortunately, it was stolen from my home. To this day, I really miss my Seiko.

Ok that’s one of the most amazing endings to a theft case ever, look forward to seeing it back on your wrist, way to live up to the username @repoman. Also looking forward to Tony getting his money back from eBay, given he unknowingly purchased stolen goods one would hope he wouldn’t receive much pushback.

I addressed all this in an earlier post in this thread. Ebay "Authentication" for watches does not make any attempt to check for stolen items. the authenticator (Stoll & Co) compare the item received from the seller, to what was advertised in the Ebay auction, to determine if the watch is the same one that was listed, (e.g. not a Chinese clone if the ad said it was an authentic Swiss watch). NCIC doesn't apply here at all. I have asked Ebay to consider adding this as an additional step in their authentication process, but I think it entirely unlikely that will happen. In most states in the USA, pawn shops are required by law to check items they receive against the NCIC database, and if stolen, take possession of said items and turn them over to law enforcement. Seems reasonable to me, Ebay should be forced to do the same, otherwise it just becomes a channel for stolen goods.

I would like to add, Ebay hides behind several legal protections when it comes to the buying and selling of stolen goods on their platform. First, Ebay is shielded by Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, which gives them immunity since they are neither buyer or seller and as long as they didn't know it was a stolen item. Second, they only have to remove a live auction if they are properly notified it is a stolen item, and there are hoops you have to jump through for that. Third, after a auction is complete and the item is sold, they don't even want you to contact them at all, they tell you go report it to law enforcement, its a criminal issue, once subpoenaed they will hand over information. As for Ebay providing reimbursements, that is not policy. They have a "Moneyback Guarantee" policy but that mostly covers when the seller doesn't ship your item, or what you got is grossly different than was was advertised. It specifically does not cover stolen goods, although if the anecdotal reports of some people getting Ebay reimbursement for stolen items is true, it would have been done using this policy as its the closest policy that applies.
I wonder if the fact that eBay pointed the police to Tony after brokering a transaction that involved stolen property, from which they received a commission, would implicate them at all in the financial loss to Tony since he surrendered the property willingly (or would he have had to surrender it to the police?). I’m sure a few of the US based attorneys here could weigh in. And since this traveled across state lines, this becomes interstate trafficking of stolen merchandise which is a federal crime….any federal attorneys? @gbesq ?

Really?

This isn’t the first and won’t be the last watch stolen without the box and papers. @abrod520 I believe had his ST1 & ST2 stolen without the box and papers. I’ve seen threads on here where watches were stolen out of home safes without the box/papers. Shit happens.

All I can hope for is that spare LE kits - especially unique ones like the Speedy Tuesday and the Ultraman - aren't available from Omega and so my watches, whenever they should finally surface, are easy to identify.

Glad this one came back around though!

Great to read you finally were able to find it! What a journey... I hope tpatta gets the money back.

All I can hope for is that spare LE kits - especially unique ones like the Speedy Tuesday and the Ultraman - aren't available from Omega and so my watches, whenever they should finally surface, are easy to identify.

Glad this one came back around though!
I've not heard of any manufacturer selling LE boxes and accessories separately, there just wouldn't be any upside for a company to do that for limited edition pieces.

This is really a remarkable story that after two years the OP's stolen watch surfaced and will hopefully make its way home. I am always suspicious when I see relatively new watches for sale without boxes or papers, especially a LE piece like the Rising Sun.

since he surrendered the property willingly (or would he have had to surrender it to the police?
The detective asked me to either drop it off at an LAPD station and they would return it the police dept in Nevada or to ship it direct to him. John (@repoman ) and I decided it would be best for for me to ship it directly to him. We advised the detective and he was fine with that. On it's way back home on Monday.