Forums Latest Members
  1. rootbeer7 Dec 28, 2020

To those with both; why?
    To those with either which one?

I have a lovely last year tritium Speedy and with only a few FOIS left new, I’ve been considering picking one up.

Please post images.

owl. and lexieb007 like this.
  2. Marsimaxam Dec 28, 2020

Not sure what you're asking exactly... I currently own a few Speedmaster Professionals, but all are vintage as the most recent is from 1969. Yes, I prefer the vintage models. I assume you are addressing the contemporary versions of the Professional and the FOIS. For myself, I'd choose the Speedmaster Professional as i just can't get pass it, it's my OCD acting up again, that on the FOIS model the small sub-dial hands do not match. I prefer symmetry. Why did Omega decide to make the seconds counter sub-dial hand, leaf, different from the other two, when, in fact, on the original 2998-4 dial all were stick hands.?
    First-Omega-in-Space-311.32.40.30.01.001-hero-scaled.jpg

apsm100 and rootbeer7 like this.
  3. alam Dec 28, 2020

I own both -- you ask why? well, I just say why not? :)

In case you have not seen this one, here's a nicely done compare and contrast thread of both models.

Plenty images here that may help your temptation :)

rootbeer7 likes this.
  4. owl. Dec 29, 2020

I have a recent edition speedy hesalite.

I went with it for different reasons.

1. I feel it’s the classic speedy and as close as it gets to watches worn on the moon.

2. hesalite crystal

3. the FOIS doesn’t come on bracelet and I don’t like tinkering with aftermarket stuff trying to make it fit on such an expensive watch.

(though I recently learned that some aftermarket bracelets pin right up with no modification required lol)

Whatever

I love my watch.

i say buy a FOIS

why not?

They are cool and different from the moonwatches

rootbeer7 likes this.
  5. Thrasher36 Dec 29, 2020

I would get a 005 right now (I did) and forget about the FOIS, then when the new 3861 Sapphire come out I would get that

Fastsled and rootbeer7 like this.
  6. Thrasher36 Dec 29, 2020

You could also get an Ed White now and then replace it if they ever make anything more accurate to original

Of course the 57 trilogy is pretty nice.

rootbeer7 likes this.
  7. Butik Dec 29, 2020

I owned the pro-sapphire and recently changed to FOIS (sold the pro). FOIS simply seems more elegant to me with nicely polished time hands, blacker dial, nicely visible stepped outside ring and inner subdials. Also smaller case & straighter lugs speak louder to me.

I love the pro, no question about it, but for my style of dressing (mostly business or business casual attire) I find fois a bit more matching.

And then, with addition of after market flat link bracelet & see-through caseback I have perfect configuration of my FOIS :)

IMG_1361.jpg IMG_1370.jpg IMG_1178.jpg IMG_0935.JPG
    scapa, Eve, rootbeer7 and 2 others like this.
  8. nicolamilton Dec 29, 2020

Great option, especially when guarantee is over, as I imagine swapping backs would make the watch miss it, isn't it?

rootbeer7 likes this.
  9. maskwp Dec 29, 2020

Simple recommendation: Try both and get the one you like most when looking at your wrist. This is why I got my "FOIS". It looks slightly more elegant with the alpha hands and the case. I have always loved the aesthetics.

rootbeer7 likes this.
  10. Sicario Wombat Dec 29, 2020

I've been there! Pro or FOIS? The FOIS as others have mentioned has a more 'elegant' look and it is certainly true when you try it on in person... realised that when I tried one recently (a returned eBay purchase in November but that's another story).

But I went for a new Pro in the end for the 20mm lug width, the bracelet and my love with the Moon landing connection. Also, I just preferred the white hands and the Hesalite. I thought the acrylic thing was just talk but I appreciate now why it adds character to a watch when I glance it everyday.

I did go through in my mind modding a FOIS with re the hands and getting a Forstner or Uncle Seiko bracelet - I couldn't be bothered in the end. 19mm straps aren't impossible to source as some will allude but you won't get the whole fun of it being a strap monster re Pro as 20mm style options are wider (though you can squeeze some 20mm straps on the FOIS but it never looks great - I'm a bit OCD with that!).

I'm a one watch person - I've been through so many watches in the last few years. The Speedy Pro has always been on my mind and since owning it has been a really joy.

Yes, you really need to try them both on as 'maskwp' mentioned!

My rather brief time with the FOIS...
    IMG_3762.JPG
    My 'joy'... the Pro!
    IMG_3775.JPG
    Even the kitty approved of my Pro on Christmas Day...
    IMG_0073.JPG

Edited Dec 29, 2020
    Pun and rootbeer7 like this.
  11. rootbeer7 Dec 29, 2020

Thanks for all the answers and images, plus additional reading.

12. rootbeer7 Dec 29, 2020

I’m asking as I already have a Professional model and wondering whether the FOIS makes a good partner, or whether others have tried/had both but moved on or other on.

34CC426D-B8B8-4F03-8727-201EEC2C1B1E.jpeg
  13. 83n Dec 29, 2020

Sold the CK 2998 Pulsometer (almost the same as the FOIS with different colouring) and kept the Moonwatch. While I really like the look of the FOIS, it has to many downsides for me - especially when compared to the Moonwatch. The case is not as refined in my eyes and the alpha hands can get almost invisible in certain angles.

rootbeer7 likes this.
  14. Donn Chambers Dec 29, 2020

I owned 3 Speedmaster variants (two Pros, a Mark III) before I got the FOIS. I always liked the idea of the Speedmaster, but when I got one, I didn’t like the way it looked. It was primarily those stark white stick hands — I know some love them, but I really, really don’t. I even bought broad arrow hands to replace on on of the Pros back when parts were readily available but never got around to doing it before I sold the watch.

when the FOIS came out, I thought it might be the one for me, finally, and I gave it a look at a boutique. It was.

rootbeer7 and nicolamilton like this.
  15. Fusion Dec 29, 2020

Speedy pro comes on the comfortable speedy bracelet. 19mm lug width of the FOIS narrows the options and eliminates this bracelet. Both feel completely different on wrist and have different features ie the crystals, the hesalite has some charm as does the sapphire. The speedy pro I will take in the pool but the FOIS I will not. It's just nice to have options especially if Omega is your favorite brand ;)
    Would post pics but got a new computer that is all empty.

rootbeer7 likes this.
  16. Butik Dec 29, 2020

I made this comparison video of both some time ago, unfortunately in Polish only, but maybe it will help with choice:

17. scapa Dec 29, 2020

One thing I discovered a few months ago is that there are quite a few 20mm straps that fit the FOIS -- and quite a few 19.5mms that also work on the Pro (and other 20mm lug widths). The Chevron straps and Toxic NATOs, for example, are sized for my FOIS but also fit my Grand Seikos and IWCs. No biggie but a nice bonus for those with large strap collections (i.e., most of us).

rootbeer7 likes this.
  18. rootbeer7 Dec 30, 2020

Thank you. I turned the sound down and watched. FOIS definitely more dressy.

19. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Dec 30, 2020

As a die hard aviation & spaceflight fan, IMHO the re-edition 2012 FOIS should have come with some kind of DON bezel...
    Maybe 1962-2022 might be an opportunity to get it right for 60th anniversary and make it available with Cal 321 and those alpha hands ? :thumbsdown:
    62_MoonwatchUniverse.jpg

rootbeer7 likes this.
  20. redzer007 Dec 30, 2020

When did you sell this watch? I ask as I bought a pro from Germany about 18 months ago that had a pro dial and broad arrows hands (and had miss matched serial numbers on movement and case). Was not an issue as I was modding it anyway.