Speedmaster 2915-1 on auction Today (The Skane!)

Folks - the auction just ended, and I must share it with you,
I do think a lot of people were watching this one!
And it was one exciting auction to tell the future grandchildren!

Following the on-line bidding (no Hollywood dude trying to boost the biding…hint hint nudge nudge…!!:whistling:) together with my close friends Carlsberg, Tuborg, Doritos and Pringles…
Yepp, watching online-auctions are usually a one mans show (no sports bars for this hobby…)
There were lots of bidding and the serious ones came from around noon today,
and during the last 10-15 minutes, there were 2 or 3 bidders who fought hard!

And the hammer landed at 1.270.000 Skr/112.200 Euro/122.400 USD + 22.5 % premium.

Was it right (cheep or expensive)?

But I will start from the beginning...

The auction house is not one of the larger ones here in Sweden, and I received from their mailing list
info regarding the upcoming auction about the 2915.
They were going to have the auction on Monday the 17 April, with a viewing from 12 :00 - 18:00 the same day.
Its not everyday that you can look and handle this kind of a watch, so I called them and booked a private viewing last week knowing that there would be plenty of people on the actual day.

And this watch is very close regarding the serial nr of the Bukowskis 2915-1.
https://www.bukowskis.com/en/auctions/603/45-omega-speedmaster-chronograph-wristwatch-39-mm

So I sat down with them and the watch for over an hour!
And listening and taking notes (so I won't forget…:eek:) regarding the history of the watch, and it kind of felt right.

The father bought the watch new (no box or papers), gave it to his son (in 1974),
when the son past away, the sisters cleaned out his estate and found a bunch of old watches.
Not knowing what to do, they walked in to the auction house with these, and there was the 2915-1!!
They could not recall any service or reparations done (but Hey - the watch is over 60 years old….and the ladies even more),
but there had been work done on the watch.

Touching and using the crown, pushers etc, everything was nice and solid/complete.
It is hard to explain..and my English...::facepalm2::

I took lot and lots of pictures and also videos, so I could study them closely on my computer.
There are a few things that are a bit disturbing, but the watch felt honest and everything seems to be from the start..no tampering or funny stuff..

Most of the lume plots have marks that look like waterdamage, maybe a relume/stabilizing or something else.
And there has been a lot of discussions on different Forums regarding these…
The issue here might have had a few to hesitate?
I did find an etching (possible service mark that a watchmaker had done??) on the backside of the luggs.

But that didn't put me down!

And when @Spacefruit did a lovely post and a blog on this watch, describing this watch in detail, it only boosted my first feeling!

I am no expert at all regarding this reference, but looking closely at the scratches, marks and dings, they do follow a natural patern.
And the bezel…Base 1000….
I won't and can't start assessing it…
And I have not attached close-ups on it, you never know who needs these...???

I had a leading bid for a few hours, then the real action started…and then game over for me!

So here are the pictures, and as usual - comments please!!???
I really need to learn more…

And ENJOY!!

IMG_9584.JPG IMG_9587 (kopia).JPG IMG_9596 (kopia).JPG IMG_9597 (kopia).JPG IMG_9613.JPG IMG_9614 (kopia).JPG IMG_9626.JPG IMG_9627.JPG IMG_9612 (kopia).JPG IMG_9586.JPG IMG_9619 (kopia).JPG

Like 25
Surely that was good value. I’m sure the marks around the lume must have kept the price down a little, but they were the only question mark I could find.
Thanks for the write up and photos!

Like 1
Possibly a bargain

Lets see it re appear in Phillips....

Like 5
I think the price reflects the market. It was a nice honest example which wasn’t perfect. Possibly some room for someone to make a small profit but I doubt it would have sold for much more elsewhere. Quality wise it is not near the Bukowskis watch from some years ago.

The Swedish Crown is weak at the moment so perhaps that makes it a better buy. All in it is $150k or €137.5. Not really cheap imho considering the dial condition. Happy for both the buyer and seller and the small auction house in Landskrona. They all did well.
Edited:

Like 4
Apparently Roy and Sacha Davidoff were the underbidder!
So something must have been very interesting with the watch!???

Image taken from the domestic watch forum here in Sweden .
I do hope that this ok posting it (let me know otherwise, and I will delete it)?
IMG_7729.png

Like 5
Apparently Roy and Sacha Davidoff were the underbidder!
So something must have been very interesting with the watch!???

Image taken from the domestic watch forum here in Sweden .
I do hope that this ok posting it (let me know otherwise, and I will delete it)?
IMG_7729.png
Maybe not so interesting anymore...?
But the auction house informed that the lucky buyer was "on the other side of the Atlantic Sea".

Like 2
Thanks for sharing that story! I was following the auction as well after William's text. The watch looks really nice and the story behind it fits the condition. That's nice that you actually handle the watch. And thanks for sharing pics!

Like 1
BTW, say hello to your friends! I know them pretty well too ;) Specially Pringles ^^

BTW, say hello to your friends! I know them pretty well too ;) Specially Pringles ^^
My bests friends!!

Hi Guys!

The local newspaper had an article about the auction, and they even named our Friend @Spacefruit !!

Here is a small piece of it with "google translate" (don't think you want the complete article in Swedish??):

The watch was submitted for sale by Olle Müller's relatives.
- It was difficult to predict where it would end up. We got the attention of an international blogger (Speedmaster 101) who is a bit of a guru for this watch, says Anna Rodman.
Bids came from all over the world: the USA, Asia and Europe. The auction had to be extended as the bids came in during the closing stages. The winning bid was made online.
- The watch ended up on the other side of the Atlantic, with a private collector in the USA.
Edited:

Like 3