Forums Latest Members

Sotheby's auction - Omega Speedmaster: To the Moon and Back | Celebrating 50 Years since Apollo 11

1. bdp Jul 3, 2019

Thanks @Spacefruit for taking the time to put together the writeup.
    As a novice it was very helpful in learning about the subtle differences between the watches.
    Cheers :)

2. DotOverNine Jul 3, 2019

Great summary @Spacefruit
    Now i've got something to read later this afternoon, when the weather sucks anyway (where's the "summer" ???)

3. michael e Still learning. Jul 3, 2019

The catalogue is nice.

D1BAAB64-185A-4293-8713-C778ADACA86D.jpeg 65F945EA-A542-4A21-9F4A-ADEE206FF8A4.jpeg 4F131C18-55AC-4F88-88C6-9102DA93E3BF.jpeg
    brownip, Seaborg, Spacefruit and 9 others like this.
  4. marturx Jul 3, 2019

Lot 14
    [​IMG]

Lot 44
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

Lot 44 is mine too :p

5. Kazyole Jul 3, 2019

Alright, who else is going to the preview?

6. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jul 3, 2019

Something else rgd. Auction Houses from personal experience: if you reside in a different country to where the auction takes place, revisit your payment instructions in your auction contract. Currency conversions will happen. You can determine, which currency you want. In the current volatile stock exchange/ currency fluctuation environment, that could add up to many, many lost $$$$$. And if you have a Business and want to factor in local tax rules, it will be better to get a cheque for Each Watch, not the sum , if you auction more. Cheque is valid for 6 months. And they issue a new one after that, if you need a longer tax period. And the last point: any Foreign Consignor should ask for a cheque. I've lost 100's of $$$$ in currency conversions and 3. Party banks used for the transfer to you. Worth asking beforehand now. Good luck all ! Kind regards. Achim

7. MTROIS Jul 3, 2019

Planning on going... not sure when yet. Maybe we could use this opportunity for an impromptu GTG in NYC??

8. Kazyole Jul 3, 2019

My thoughts as well. I know of at least a couple other collectors I'm planning on going with. Haven't nailed down which day we're going yet though either.

9. AriTheWatchmaker Jul 6, 2019

Thanks for those thoughts...it is important to make sure payment works for the seller and buyer. I am planning to list my 2998-5 with Antiquorum unless the Anniversary auction brings high demand and I can get the price I want privately. Antiquorum said they pay within 40 days via wire transfer. So I should clarify the currency and try to get a check? It will not help with the capital gains taxes, but losing money on the currency conversion would really suck, since that just goes to the bankers.

Regarding the auction catalog, I am surprised how few pictures are included of each watch, and of the relatively rough shape of some of the pieces, considering what OF members own. Is that because they didnt really ask the watch owning public for submissions? Considering the museum is being renovated, I am surprised about the timing of all this and the lack of advertising and planning on their part...but Sotheby's seems like they are always hit or miss on watch auctions. I contacted them in the event that a buyer is unable to win during the anniversary but still cannot live without a rare speedy, after they said I missed the deadline for submission, whenever that was announced.
    Yes, I am not really paying attention to the watch collector world until big events like this or Omegamania

10. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jul 6, 2019

Ari, where is your Auction and which country are you in ? Wire transfer will be expensive, if 3. Party banks are involved on the way. Payment via cheque gives you control over exchange rates up to 6 months. Can go both ways, but at least it is cheaper than wire. Kind regards. Achim

11. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jul 6, 2019

Transferwise (or Revolut) :thumbsup:

Edit : open a transferwise account, create balances for the countries involved (ie GBP, CHF, USD etc), let them pay into the local bank account for your balance (ie will be a US bank account details with your name for USD, a UK bank account details with your name for GBP etc), convert it to your local currency, and withdraw it locally to your bank if you wish (or keep it there for when you want to make that next big purchase). It’s that easy, you get exchange rates as you see on google (minus a very small fee for the transaction), no money crosses borders.

Edited Jul 6, 2019
  12. AriTheWatchmaker Jul 6, 2019

USA is where I am, and it would be the Geneva AQ auction in November most likely.
    The Swiss Franc is locked to the US dollar pretty tightly, so I dont expect that to change over 6 months.

13. GadgetGuy88 Jul 10, 2019

@Spacefruit

Thanks so much for your analysis of the watches. This is my first time posting on this site, mainly spending my time at RF. I don’t post a lot, and usually it’s just to make a joke.

You were wondering who might be bidding at the auction. I plan to, as a watch lover, but I am not a vintage collector. My oldest piece is a Coke 16710 from 1997, which I got back then. I didn’t mean for it to become a vintage piece LOL. How I wished back then that my 16710 case had no holes and an SEL bracelet. RNYC replaced the dial and hands with the SL version 10 years ago. The insert is no longer original. Oops. At least I am the original owner with every piece of paper, so that will help someday. Lesson learned.

I used to enjoy Chuck Maddox’s pages a lot, when there was no better source of info (he was a nice guy to email with). I also lived through the Odey era at Timezone. From the mid-90s until recently, I basically had 1-2 watches in hand. Sometimes a little envious of the folks with more. The PP swag threads still blow my mind.

My collection now consists of the Rolex, along with a Ti 2006 Panerai Luminor Marina, 2014 Speedy Pro, 2014 Aquanaut, and a 2014 5227G. I had the ST1, but sold it. Had a white Mark XV. Had a Saxonia. Had an Ingenieur. Tried to unload the Richemont stuff basically. I’m on the list for the 50th Apollo 11.

Why do I want to bid on the auction? The pieces are reasonably vetted. They will have a certain pedigree coming out of the auction. And no...I can’t swing shooting for a 2915 or Alaska piece.

I plan to go next Monday to see the pieces and then attend the auction on Friday. It helps to live in NJ.

I did reach out to Nate at Sotheby’s about some of the items and will post what he sent me.

JimJupiter, Taddyangle and Spacefruit like this.
  14. GadgetGuy88 Jul 10, 2019

Item 29 105.003 63

CASE

The case is in very good overall condition with light scratching visible throughout, and in our view, has been polished particularly to the edges so the lugs retain good proportions, and when looking closely can see the remnants of its original beveled edges. The bezel is in very good condition, with some light surface scratching and minor loss to the black paint. The caseback has some scratching visible, and still retains the Speedmaster 'Seahorse' logo. The pushers match.

DIAL

The dial is in very good overall condition. The hour markers and hands have been relumed. There is some minor loss to the outer minute track between 11 and 12 o'clock and the '20' in the 3 o'clockregister.

MOVEMENT

The chronograph function is operating properly, and dustcap is still present. Has the dust cover. The movement is running at time of cataloguing, however it was not tested for the accuracy of time or duration of the power reserve and may need service at the buyer's discretion. Please note that Sotheby's does not guarantee the future working of the movement.

Spacefruit likes this.
  15. GadgetGuy88 Jul 10, 2019

The tropical with the even brown color:

Condition Report:
    CASE
    The case is in very good overall condition, with some light surface scratches visible, and some small nicks on the lugs from wear. The case, in our view, has likely been polished. The lyre lugs retain strong proportions and well defined beveled edges. The bezel has some missing black lacquer material near the 4, 6, 8 and 9 o'clock positions. The caseback retains the original Omega Speedmaster logo with the Seahorse engraving. The bracelet has likely been lightly polished, and displays some minor stretch and surface scratches throughout.
    DIAL
    The dial is in good overall condition. The hour markers appear to have been relumed earlier in the watch's life, and have some dirt at 3, 5-8, and 10-11 o'clock. The printing on the dial remains crisp and intact.
    MOVEMENT
    The chronograph function is operating properly, and dustcap is still present. The movement is running at time of cataloguing, however it was not tested for the accuracy of time or duration of the power reserve and may need service at the buyer's discretion. Please note that Sotheby's does not guarantee the future working of the movement.

Spacefruit likes this.
  16. GadgetGuy88 Jul 10, 2019

The mocha tropical:

Condition Report:
    CASE
    The case is in very good overall condition, and in our view, has never been polished. The lyre lugs retain sharp edges, and are well defined. Small surface scratches and light nicks overall, consistent with use and age. The bezel has faded slightly, and has some wear, but remains in overall very good condition. The Omega Seahorse logo is present on the caseback. The caseback with crude engraved SKY initials. DIAL
    The dial is in very good condition, and has aged to an attractive shade of mocha. The luminous material of the hour markers are all intact, with some dirt present at the 3 o'clock position.
    MOVEMENT
    The chronograph function is operating properly. The dust cap is present. The movement is running at time of cataloguing, however it was not tested for the accuracy of time or duration of the power reserve and may need service at the buyer's discretion. Please note that Sotheby's does not guarantee the future working of the movement.

Spacefruit likes this.
  17. GadgetGuy88 Jul 10, 2019

33 Ultraman

Condition Report:
    CASE
    Case in overall good condition. Signs of light polish to the tops and edges of the lugs, light surface scratches overall consistent with age and use. Bezel insert with some light scratches, fading overall to the surface, the bezel with very small nicks around the edge. Case back with some scratches overall, marks to the back of the lugs from strap changes.
    DIAL
    Dial in very good condition, light fading overall. Small mark to the seconds subdial. Lume in good condition with patina consistent with age. Hands with very light surface marks, minute hand with darkening of lume towards the center arbor. Chronograph hand with a small scratch towards the center arbor.
    MOVEMENT
    The movement is running at time of cataloging, however it was not tested for the accuracy of time or duration of the power reserve and may need service at the buyer's discretion. Please note that Sotheby's does not guarantee the future working of the movement.
    ***Please be advised that the bands on this watch are made of materials derived from endangered or otherwise protected species (i.e. alligator and crocodile) and thus not sold with the watch, they are for display purposes only. We will remove these bands prior to international shipping.***

Spacefruit likes this.
  18. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jul 11, 2019

We are getting close.....anyone going?

19. silverbitz Jul 11, 2019

I imagine we ALL wish we could!. It'll be a great event. Good opportunity to meet other buyers/sellers/collectors.

20. CJpickup57 Jul 11, 2019

If I had anymore vacation time available I would be going to this and the Speedy Tuesday Meet :(. Flights are only $149 for me being so close.