Forums Latest Members

Sotheby's - Speedmaster: To the Moon and Back - Auction July 19, 2019

1. TLIGuy Jun 8, 2019

This auction may be of interest to some here.

Omega Speedmaster - To the Moon and Back - July 19, 2019

Sotheby's Celebrates the 50th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 Moon Landing

With Auctions Dedicated to Space Exploration and Omega Speedmaster Watches

Sotheby's New York is delighted to announce two auctions to be held this July in celebration of the 50th anniversary of the historic Apollo 11 lunar landing. "Omega Speedmaster: To the Moon and Back" on July 19 will offer a selection of incredible Speedmaster watches – the official watch of NASA since 1965. "Space Exploration" on July 20 will feature extensive material related to the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo missions, including flown mission artifacts and hardware.

Omega Speedmaster: To the Moon and Back will celebrate one of the most iconic sports watches ever to come to market, which was a leading choice of astronauts for more than five decades.

Before sending any objects into space, NASA performs extensive testing to ensure that anything aboard a space flight will withstand the rigors of unpredictable environments. In 1965, NASA sought to find a watch properly provisioned for human spaceflight. Three watches were chosen to undergo months of testing. Omega is the only brand whose watch passed all ten tests, rendering the Speedmaster model as the official watch of NASA. The iconic watch has been bestowed upon the wrists of astronauts ever since – including all six lunar landings – and has fittingly been dubbed the "Moonwatch." For decades, the Speedmaster has signified the kind of quality and reliability that has made it the only designated timepiece fit to wear on the moon.

Exhibitions for both auctions will be free and open to the public beginning 15 July in Sotheby's New York galleries.

Screen Shot 2019-06-08 at 6.43.57 AM.jpg

levkov, gemini4, BatDad and 5 others like this.
  2. Kazyole Jun 8, 2019

Awesome. If any other NYC OF'ers want to go to view the lots I'm definitely planning on stopping by. Could construct a little meetup out of it.

MTROIS, Spacefruit and BatDad like this.
  3. jpjsavage Jun 9, 2019

Thanks for the heads up. It will be interesting to see what prices are made here. It is definitely the year of the Speedmaster!

4. BatDad Jun 9, 2019

Have to expect a bump for the masses - 20%? More?

Thanks for sharing @TLIGuy

5. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jun 14, 2019

Curious to know if there will there be an auction catalog ?

levkov and connieseamaster like this.
  6. jhross98 Jun 14, 2019

Is anyone worried this turns into another heuer bust... Market isnt exactly making new highs now a flood of examples...

watchyouwant and daderaz like this.
  7. lowlands Jun 20, 2019

Yes, I have never seen so many BA145.022 gold Speedmasters for sale on the market, I was also thinking to bring one of my gold speedmasters in the auction, but the level seems to be very high, each watch is controlled by the omegamuseum, maybe it beats the result of the Omegamania auction around ten years ago? When is there a catalogue on line?

8. Britinus Jul 11, 2019

I’ll be there Monday 15. Gone through all the lots carefully. Some really nice pieces there. I worry we’re at “peak moonwatch”. Everyone has NASA-like “go fever”.

9. Britinus Jul 11, 2019

Catalogue on line now

10. Britinus Jul 11, 2019

11. Britinus Jul 11, 2019

12. Britinus Jul 11, 2019

https://www.sothebys.com/pdf/2019/N10093/index.html