Forums Latest Members

Report: Sotheby’s Omega Speedmaster – To the Moon and Back Auction

1. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Aug 13, 2019

[​IMG]
    Friend of the show Lawrence “Larry” McGlynn has a website called Space Artifacts, which is worth a visit if you’re into space-related topics. Larry is also known for his role in the Space Dealers TV show (Discovery channel) where he hunts down valuable items that were used in space (and on the Moon). He also […]

Visit Report: Sotheby’s Omega Speedmaster – To the Moon and Back Auction to read the full article.

2. LeonDeBayonne Aug 13, 2019

Thank you for this article. Of course, the sentence "He said that he feels the Speedmaster vintage watch market is untapped." is open for debate...

jpjsavage likes this.
  3. jpjsavage Aug 13, 2019

Nice review of the auction. However, agree with @LeonDeBayonne that is seems a bit naive to think that the vintage Speedmaster market is 'untapped'.

LeonDeBayonne likes this.
  4. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Aug 13, 2019

Maybe 'untapped' is relative to vintage Rolex.

5. ReturnOfUltraman Aug 13, 2019

That’s what I assume @Robert-Jan was referring to? Prices are still somewhat attainable for nice examples of 60’s/70’s Speedmaster compared to Rolex models from the same time period.

M'Bob likes this.
  6. M'Bob Aug 13, 2019

Yes, and yes. I see no good reason that nice, early Speedmasters won't eventually attain near parity to the similar-era Daytonas.

7. rcs914 Aug 13, 2019

So how many Alaska III are in private hands? I mean we all know who bought the last one that was for sale, but there can't be many. I wonder if this one had the proper Star case? I didn't go looking too much at it.