Some thoughts on the elusive Contax

Posts
6,829
Likes
10,652
Fantastic. Any idea about the year?
 
Posts
273
Likes
570
Fantastic. Any idea about the year?
There is no year mentioned, but probably 1936 I would think.
 
Posts
38
Likes
53
That Contax went for 4.9K GBP excluding fees I’m pretty sure. Was watching the auction yesterday.
 
Posts
171
Likes
420
That Contax went for 4.9K GBP excluding fees I’m pretty sure. Was watching the auction yesterday.
£4900 + 27.6 % premium + 3.6 % sales tax (+ additional taxes etc. if sold to someone outside UK).
That´s nearly 6500 pounds, or 7500 euro or 8700 USD.
 
Posts
21
Likes
39
4900 sterline + 27,6% di premio + 3,6% di imposta sulle vendite (+ tasse aggiuntive ecc. se venduto a qualcuno al di fuori del Regno Unito).
Si tratta di quasi 6500 sterline, ovvero 7500 euro o 8700 dollari.
Not so much 😊
 
Posts
38
Likes
53
It is quite a bit for a Contax with no service history, unattractive yellowing of the dial, and a relatively grimy case to be honest.
 
Posts
967
Likes
2,353
I suspect that the yellowing of the dial is mostly the ancient crystal. It's the wrong shade for tobacco staining - in my view.
 
Posts
38
Likes
53
I had a hunch that might be what it was but I couldn’t tell for certain. The write up in the auction stated, “plastic face has yellowed with age,” which I guess points to the crystal as the dial is obviously not plastic. Still wasn’t enough assurance for me to bid on it, especially with some of the corrosion I saw in the pics. Hopefully someone braver than myself from the forum snagged it and will clean up the case and install a new crystal. I’d be eager to see what it looks like cleaned up.