Forums Latest Members

Some help to check this nice Movado ?

1. YYTIN Oct 15, 2021

Was looking for a nice Movado (or Mido) with Borgel case (and all this because/thanks to some of you) and found this one, in 34mm.
    Not much more info that nice pics & a nice chat up to know :
    Capture d’écran 2021-10-15 à 22.21.08.png
    Capture d’écran 2021-10-15 à 22.21.54.png
    Capture d’écran 2021-10-15 à 22.22.45.png
    I'm waiting for some inside pics but I must say for now that I'm pretty much in love :) and the watch has been serviced last year apparently.

What say you ?

2. Walrus Oct 15, 2021

I don’t know I’m looking at that I don’t know the dial seems a little “off” but like you I absolutely love those old movados and have gone to 4-5 local sales and found everyone one to be a redial. It was very disappointing as I actually took a day off for one of them. So I am going to withhold judgement as I am jaded and I am going to hope you found a nice original one as golly gee they are jim dandy’s

YYTIN likes this.
  3. YYTIN Oct 15, 2021

Thanks @Walrus for sharing this (and sorry too to here about your lost day). What seems off in the dial ? The breguet numerals ? the branding ? I can't see any signs by myself but I'm still a newbie to spot those and that's why I come here. Can you share the rational ?
    I tried to find some old ads to compare but no success on simple / no date one from that period.
    For sure, if this is a redial (or strongly suspected to be), I won't go for it.

Just found those pictures browsing on internet ... but this doesn't help as I don't know either if they are original :)
    Capture d’écran 2021-10-16 à 06.42.47.png Capture d’écran 2021-10-16 à 06.36.37.png
    maybe the numerals, like the 6 and 2, are finer ?

Edited Oct 15, 2021
  4. Walrus Oct 16, 2021

Actually I think it’s just the straight on shot with the glare of the crystal that was throwing me off but I am far from a expert on these things. I mean I could tell right off the ones I saw were redials your example looks pretty good. I think those inside case numbers should help you if you can find the model and make a good comparison but there are a few people here who are very knowledgeable on these I hope someone will chime in as many of those vintage movados have an incredible charm. Did you check Chrono 24 often you can match things up. And thanks for joining my pity party of my lost day but it wasn’t that bad I had the day off and got a call to check out some watches they weren’t what they claimed to be and that happens so it wasn’t the end of the world.

YYTIN likes this.
  5. YYTIN Oct 16, 2021

Thanks @Walrus.
    Spent some more time looking for comparison. Thing is those 40s Movado time only came in variety for sure :) Even the writings of 'movado automatic' got a few in those 40/50, but found some similar so I'll tick this box.
    I think I found a decent comparison from an OF member here on the breguet numerals. I've reached out through PM to get his view too. We'll see :)
    Plus I've got a good feeling about the seller good faith.

And you're right they are worst thing than not catching a pray :) Have a good weekend

Walrus likes this.
  6. CaptainWinsor Oct 16, 2021

I don’t see anything to make me feel it’s a redial but I’m no expert on Movado

YYTIN and Radiumpassion like this.
  7. YYTIN Oct 16, 2021

ok thanks everyone !
    I will go 'with my guts' then & see if we can find an agreement ;)

Walrus likes this.
  8. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Oct 17, 2021

I second that. Think it is a redial

YYTIN likes this.
  9. YYTIN Oct 17, 2021

Thanks @Mark020 for your answer. Do you mind telling me what makes you think that ? I'd like to understand and get a little bit more knowledgeable if possible.
    Strangely enough I did not receive the inside pictures promised so far... but maybe it was a busy weekend. So I still have not reached a decision but for sure a redial is a big NO NO for me. Thanks for your help.

10. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Oct 18, 2021

The fonts used

YYTIN likes this.