Forums Latest Members

Need some help to check this longines :)

1. YYTIN Nov 18, 2020

Dear OF members,

I'm interested in the below watch. I was just wondering if you could help me with a little check of it.
    I like obviously the look, patina, blued hands... Browsing on OF it seems similar to some models (MN etc) I have seen reviewed by some of you.
    - It is from 1945 (not specifically military linked to, at least no mention on the casings nor by the seller)
    - it is 34mm
    - the movement is a 23M.
    - The main difference I can spot is the logo actually : in the ones I have seen reviewed from this period and this style, there was no logo whereas here you have one.

To the knowledge of the seller (which I have no reason to be doubtful), all is original (including the crown unsigned).
    But what do you say ? Does it seem all legit to you ?
    The price is a little high, will not see my money back if I had to resell but I really like it.

Capture d’écran 2020-11-18 à 13.29.46.png
    Capture d’écran 2020-11-18 à 13.21.29.png
    Capture d’écran 2020-11-18 à 13.30.17.png
    Capture d’écran 2020-11-18 à 13.30.58.png
    Thanks for any lights you can put on this one :)

janice&fred likes this.
  2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 18, 2020

Zapatta and janice&fred like this.
  3. YYTIN Nov 18, 2020

Thanks @STANDY !
    I keep gathering 'facts' (I checked the number of the movement and it does correspond to 'approximately 1944' according to the nice ressource I found thanks to OF : https://vintagewatchresources.com).
    The price being above 900euros make me hesitates as it means this has to be my last acquisition this year :)
    I was originally looking for an Omega 30T2... but I can't find one... for at a decent price I mean !
    So choice is to be made...

Mark020 likes this.
  4. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Nov 19, 2020

It’s been on sale at least since early september, and the reason why it’s not selling I suspect is because the dial’s been transplanted.
    Longines archive indicates its dial should be black and grey.
    Movement serial 6'975'966 was invoiced 28 décember1945 to Terrasse, Sweden.

JohnSteed, Mark020 and Rumar89 like this.
  5. YYTIN Nov 19, 2020

Oh great ! Thanks @Syrte : I'm very happy not to have bought it yesterday :) I was hesitating over the price but what a relief to have avoided getting a non original watch... which would have spoiled most of the pleasure to wear one. Merci !

Stupid question but how do you access this longines archive ?

6. YYTIN Nov 19, 2020

And I should say that this is another 'dealer' I will not trust in the future... it was showing many nice watches but now that the doubt is here...

7. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Nov 19, 2020

The essential rule when it comes to vintage watches: trust whoever you want or not — but always verify. And it applies to everyone, not just dealers.

8. YYTIN Nov 19, 2020

Thanks @Syrte ! Good advice !

I kind of figure this out now, took me 2 years to realize it and fortunately I believe I have not made too many mistakes so far.. but I've been really close to :whistling:. I'm very glad to finally have came here !

I did some search through OF threads, looking for some nice models, and I guess the best I have to do is to do my learning here ::book:: and watch out the private sales place. Some of you have truly remarkable collection and keep expanding it, meaning you leave some nice ones from time to time ... It just requires patience... of which I am not very rich :)::shy:: but I'll learn !