Forums Latest Members

So, you’re shipping a watch. Who assumes the risk?

1. gbesq Jun 3, 2024

If you're a receiver of a package from Amazon and it's stolen from your doorstep, Amazon -- and whatever carrier they used -- WILL consider it to be your problem. At least if you live in the U.S.

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 3, 2024

Can confirm they don’t care and their delivery guys here don’t care either. I get all my Amazon bits delivered to a nearby Amazon locker for that reason.

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 3, 2024

I'll bet that this email will be ignored when it comes time to make a claim - they will point you to their terms and say "sorry, not covered."

4. JimJupiter Jun 3, 2024

Exactly my thoughts!

blubarb likes this.
  5. gbesq Jun 3, 2024

And mine as well.

blubarb likes this.
  6. blubarb Jun 3, 2024

Lots of wiggle room in this clause 6.2. Only official businesses will be covered, sounds like only merchants will be covered. I don't believe watch forums are considered official businesses in watch sales. Slippery...slippery...I suggest that their customer service people read the Ts & Cs a little more closely.

6.2. THE PARCEL INSURANCE DOES NOT COVER:

• ITEMS SHIPPED THAT ARE SOLD/PURCHASED ON AN ONLINE MARKETPLACE BY INDIVIDUALS. ONLY OFFICIAL BUSINESSES WILL BE COVERED UNLESS APPROVED IN WRITING.

pdxleaf likes this.
  7. gbesq Jun 3, 2024

So it would be interesting to see the response from Secursus if one wrote to them outlining a proposed member to member sale on OF, citing this claujse 6.2 in their terms and conditions, and requesting written approval of the transaction and confirmation that it would be covered by their parcel insurance.

blubarb and DaveK like this.
  8. pdxleaf Often mistaken for AI... Jun 3, 2024

I have given Secursus lots of money for no reason it seems. They make it really easy to insure a package with their online form and payment.

Makes you think about starting an online insurance company. Plop up a payment form and then exclude everything in the terms and conditions.

EDIT: @Larry S , I'm coming around to what you said, that Parcel Pro is looking like one of the best options for insurance when shipping a watch, as well as using FedEx as the shipper:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/how-the-hell-do-you-guys-ship-watches-over-10000.102602/page-3

The only other option being USPS registered mail for high value watches.

Edited Jun 3, 2024
    Dan S, blubarb and iamvr like this.
  9. gbesq Jun 3, 2024

Another interesting tidbit below. Apparently, Secursus is an insurance broker, not an insurance company (my highlighting on the language below). So this raises another question in my mind. If I have a claim, do I have to go through the claims review process twice, first with Secursus and again with the undisclosed insurance company that is actually insuring my package? Does the insurance company have additional terms and conditions that I'm not even aware of?

HOW IS MY PACKAGE PROTECTED?
    [​IMG]
    Secursus is a registered insurance broker, registered with ORIAS (France’s official register of financial intermediaries) under number 18002684.

We work with well-established insurance companies that specialize in shipping insurance. Our standard coverage is limited to $120,000.00 per package. If, however, you wish to insure a package for more, please contact us directly by email.

Edited Jun 3, 2024
    blubarb likes this.
  10. Davidt Jun 3, 2024

Agree. Seems to be incredibly grey for insurance T’s and C’s

11. kfranzk Jun 3, 2024

Hallo friends,
    I tried, but
    - neither DHL nor UPS accept watches (and jewelry) to be shipped!
    - DHL to foreign countries insures only up to 5000€.
    In case you declare a lets say dive instrument, I dont know how they react to realize in case of a claim, it was a diver's watch???
    - I dont know wether Fedex accepts private shipments (from Germany).
    But as to say, I shipped and got shipped hundreds of watches over Ebay, auction houses, C24 and mostly private and
    => I never lost a parcel or watch by shipment! Isn't that fine? Ok one or two were broken, so at least I do not care too much.
    Greetings Konrad

Braindrain and JimJupiter like this.
  12. gbesq Jun 3, 2024

Hi Konrad. Are you saying that DHL does not accept watches for shipment from Germany? I just want to make sure that I understand you because DHL certainly accepts watches for shipment from the U.S. to Europe. I have used them a number of times to ship watches and have never had a problem.

13. kfranzk Jun 3, 2024

Edited Jun 3, 2024
  14. gbesq Jun 3, 2024

Thank you.

15. jspdl Jun 3, 2024

So does that not suffice as proof in writing? (I got the same reply from them)...

16. gbesq Jun 3, 2024

Not for me. I’d want something more specific that expressly stares that a person to person private sale is covered for loss regardless of whether section 6.2 applies.

blubarb likes this.
  17. jspdl Jun 3, 2024

Interesting, let's see what they say!

And if not, since the insurance coverage for watches/jewelry by UPS, DHL, FedEx all max out around $500-$1000 (I think), does that leave only USPS Registered Mail? Can non-business individuals sign up for Parcel Pro? (I only see references to opening an account for a business here: https://web.parcelpro.com/sign-up). If individuals can sign up for Parcel Pro, what are their rates like?

18. pdxleaf Often mistaken for AI... Jun 3, 2024

I spoke to my local UPS. They said they will insure a watch up to $25k if shipped within the USA, at cost of $3 per $100 of value. They suggested that if they packed it (no additional cost) then any claim for damage or loss would be easier to claim. Otherwise, if I packed it, then I needed to photograph the packing and follow their requirements.

They told me that shipping watches from the USA to Canada would only be insured up to $3300, and shipping from the USA to other countries was limited to $2500 in value.

I was surprised that they went up to $25k and asked a couple times if I had heard correctly, and she (patiently) confirmed it was $25k. I asked if they were insuring under Parcel Pro and she said no, it was under UPS.

This is according to the one clerk at my one office. Does this agree or disagree with anyone else's understanding of the UPS limits?

19. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jun 3, 2024

20. josiahg52 Jun 3, 2024

I only know they told me that their insurance was only valid if they or an authorized shipping agent packed the item for shipment. Bringing a taped up shoebox with some bubble wrap in it wouldn't fly. That was when I was shipping high-dollar car parts, wheels, etc.

In the US, I'd just sooner use USPS Registered Mail. It's just so much easier.

pdxleaf likes this.