So, you’re shipping a watch. Who assumes the risk?

I spoke to my local UPS. They said they will insure a watch up to $25k if shipped within the USA, at cost of $3 per $100 of value. They suggested that if they packed it (no additional cost) then any claim for damage or loss would be easier to claim. Otherwise, if I packed it, then I needed to photograph the packing and follow their requirements.

They told me that shipping watches from the USA to Canada would only be insured up to $3300, and shipping from the USA to other countries was limited to $2500 in value.

I was surprised that they went up to $25k and asked a couple times if I had heard correctly, and she (patiently) confirmed it was $25k. I asked if they were insuring under Parcel Pro and she said no, it was under UPS.

This is according to the one clerk at my one office. Does this agree or disagree with anyone else's understanding of the UPS limits?
Interesting, per their 2023 service guide, I always thought the limit in the US was $500 (image attached).

But upon trying to search for their 2024 service guide, I found this page: https://www.ups.com/assets/resources/webcontent/en_US/daily_rates.pdf, which also links to the next URL for non-US origin shipments, where they seemingly (confusingly) also draw a distinction between value and declared value (where the latter seems to correspond with insurance?): https://www.ups.com/assets/resources/webcontent/jewelry_origin_dest.pdf?WT.mc_id=VAN701512

I feel like I'm back to square one with understanding which couriers provide which levels of insurance, or I suppose just back to assuming that USPS Registered Mail is the surest bet.
Edited:

Hi Konrad. Are you saying that DHL does not accept watches for shipment from Germany? I just want to make sure that I understand you because DHL certainly accepts watches for shipment from the U.S. to Europe. I have used them a number of times to ship watches and have never had a problem.

Same from AUS to USA & Europe and in return

Interesting, let's see what they say!

And if not, since the insurance coverage for watches/jewelry by UPS, DHL, FedEx all max out around $500-$1000 (I think), does that leave only USPS Registered Mail? Can non-business individuals sign up for Parcel Pro? (I only see references to opening an account for a business here: https://web.parcelpro.com/sign-up). If individuals can sign up for Parcel Pro, what are their rates like?

They can, I believe, as I used to have an account with them but during the Covid Wars they closed down their Australian operations. :-( and never reopened it.

Not for me. I’d want something more specific that expressly stares that a person to person private sale is covered for loss regardless of whether section 6.2 applies.
I asked them in terms of person-to-person, re: section 6.2 of their terms, and for which platforms (like chrono24.com, omegaforums.net, rolexforums.com, facebook.com, and ebay.com), and this was their latest reply:

"We can cover individuals selling watches on specialized forums but not on Facebook, neither eBay.

We cannot cover a watch sold on eBay because you have to send it to the authentication center. Unfortunately, we only cover items sold and shipped directly to the buyer. There are too many issues that can arise if you ship to a third party like eBay authentication center. When the package arrives at the center, no one is clearly responsible for receiving the package, and if the package is empty, it is a big problem.

We strongly advise against using this eBay process as we have seen many issues: packages left open in the center, items damaged in the center, packages stolen in the center, etc."

FAQ
3.1.Countries covered by the Parcel Insurance
The following countries are covered in full: all European countries and the United Kingdom. Only international shipments will be covered for the following countries: the U.S.A., Canada, Japan, South Korea, Switzerland, Singapore, Australia, Hong Kong, Norway, New Zealand, and Israel.

Funny: 'covered in full: all European countries and the United Kingdom'
That means Moldavia, Bosnia, Belarus etc., they all are European countries, are included while UK, Norway and Switzerland are named indiviually.
=> Europe and the European Union are different entities, they should be aware.
Konrad
Edited:

I spoke to my local UPS. They said they will insure a watch up to $25k if shipped within the USA, at cost of $3 per $100 of value. They suggested that if they packed it (no additional cost) then any claim for damage or loss would be easier to claim. Otherwise, if I packed it, then I needed to photograph the packing and follow their requirements.

They told me that shipping watches from the USA to Canada would only be insured up to $3300, and shipping from the USA to other countries was limited to $2500 in value.

I was surprised that they went up to $25k and asked a couple times if I had heard correctly, and she (patiently) confirmed it was $25k. I asked if they were insuring under Parcel Pro and she said no, it was under UPS.

This is according to the one clerk at my one office. Does this agree or disagree with anyone else's understanding of the UPS limits?
Never believe what a local shipping guy/gal tells you, they aren't well versed in these matters. They will gladly take your money and you'll think you are covered but in the event of loss they'll claim that under the contract terms you are only covered for $500. And a 3% insurance rate is stupid expensive, $750 for a $25k watch. I call BS on that local agent.

Interesting story, but what a weird video. They go from talking about receiving a empty watch box, to super-sized smoothies, to hairplugs and then back to the stolen watch without revealing the full end of the story or the click bait of having caught the fedex employee on camera.

Interesting story, but what a weird video. They go from talking about receiving a empty watch box, to super-sized smoothies, to hairplugs and then back to the stolen watch without revealing the full end of the story or the click bait of having caught the fedex employee on camera.
Yeah, glad I never bought from those clowns. Supposedly they can't release the video yet due to the investigation underway.

I always trust the surprised / shocked look in youtube thumbnails, its like a guarantee for a good informative video.

my rule is "never buy a watch (expensive or not) outside of your country".

I’m glad that works for you, but if I followed that rule I would never have found some of the best watches in my collection and met some great people on the other side of the pond.
Edited:

I even know people, that would not speak any foreign language to minimize risc of not been understood.
=> East or West, Home is best.
'irony off'
Konrad
Edited:

I'm actually the other way around. Don't trust most dealers in my country (only if it's an AD). I prefer to pay a bit of premium with VAT import taxes for peace of mind (from Japan or the U.S. mostly).

I always trust the surprised / shocked look in youtube thumbnails, its like a guarantee for a good informative video.

Yeah, I see it a a reminder of the general dumbing down of the populace. Apparently if you want to get views you have to have the super high-definition stupid-face thumbnail.

Yeah, I see it a a reminder of the general dumbing down of the populace. Apparently if you want to get views you have to have the super high-definition stupid-face thumbnail.

It works for them. I never click on such videos myself and usually block the channel.

What's really pissing me off these days is more and more online stores selling insurance at an added cost to cover lost, stolen, damaged, etc. items. They say they'll handle all contact with the shipping company, fill out all forms, replace damaged items , etc. I mean, aren't they supposed to do all that any way? I get that it's different if the package arrives at your address and then goes missing. This makes it sounds like en route coverage which should reside with the shipper.