So, you’re shipping a watch. Who assumes the risk?

I also think the USPS is a professional carrier.
April 1st was last month!

Sorry, jokes aside; I've had terrible experiences with USPS. None are perfect, but I've had better luck with DHL/Fedex.

April 1st was last month!

Sorry, jokes aside; I've had terrible experiences with USPS. None are perfect, but I've had better luck with DHL/Fedex.
I've had exactly the opposite experience with the USPS. They are my go to carrier and I've never had a problem. DHL has been good as well. I will not use FedEx as they have left too many valuable packages sitting on my doorstep that required a signature for delivery.

I ship USPS Registered Mail. I insure it to protect myself. In the event of a lost package, as soon as USPS declares it lost, I'll refund the buyer's money. Then I'll pursue the claim with the USPS and collect the insurance. I include all my shipping costs in the sale price.

If a buyer wants a reduced price beyond simple negotiation and insists on another, cheaper shipping alternative, that can be discussed. I traded a watch and we both decided to ship our watches Express Mail at the same time. Recently, someone insisted on FedEx. I did it but made it clear that my recovery options are limited but I would do what I could to help. Ultimately, I'm responsible with clear stipulations prior to the transfer of money and actually shipping the watch.

In short, I've been burned too many times by FedEx, UPS, and the abhorrent DHL to trust them. USPS has always come through for me.

Trouble is it was sent priority mail with signature required. The irony was that I missed the delivery because I didn't hear the door bell. The box was taken back to the truck and he continued on his delivery route. At one point, someone broke the windows and took a bunch of boxes, including my package.

This could happen to any carrier, no? Who would think someone would be crazy enough to break into a US postal service truck?

Sorry, I don't think I did anything risky or negligent. I also think the USPS is a professional carrier.

I see you're in Yosemite. Very cool. Still haven't been there yet. Hopefully you're beating the crowds.
Sadly no, the Valley was covered in cars on Thursday. We are now avoiding the Valley after one day climbing the Vernal waterfall from the village and back down Muir Trail. That hike did us senior hikers in. Staying in Wawona which is a blessed respite from the crowds. Doing some shorter hikes and scenery hunting. I’d say early May, April Sept/Oct is best for this park. Not the week before Memorial Day.

During the pandemic and after there was a rash of thefts from USPS here in Chicago area. Got so bad that no one was trusting the service. I won’t use handwritten paper checks anymore.

I declare it as a chronometer/timing device. They won’t cover jewelry or watches. I never had to make a claim so there’s a few unknowns.
I doubt this would be covered in event of loss, it doesn't matter what you want to call it, it's still a watch, and if Canada Post doesn't cover jewelry or watches they aren't going to suddenly say 'ok' for a 'chronometer/timing device' designation.

Sadly no, the Valley was covered in cars on Thursday. We are now avoiding the Valley after one day climbing the Vernal waterfall from the village and back down Muir Trail. That hike did us senior hikers in. Staying in Wawona which is a blessed respite from the crowds. Doing some shorter hikes and scenery hunting. I’d say early May, April Sept/Oct is best for this park. Not the week before Memorial Day.

During the pandemic and after there was a rash of thefts from USPS here in Chicago area. Got so bad that no one was trusting the service. I won’t use handwritten paper checks anymore.

Last year or the year before, I had a watch shipment disappear for a bit in the Chicago area. They said it was an address issue. It was a Registered item. Called the post offices around the area, they looked, couldn't find it. It was tracked again a few stops back, I called them, I confirmed the address and it was delivered. It was great getting that level of personal service and care.

I doubt this would be covered in event of loss, it doesn't matter what you want to call it, it's still a watch, and if Canada Post doesn't cover jewelry or watches they aren't going to suddenly say 'ok' for a 'chronometer/timing device' designation.
It’s been a while since I used the service and in the past a simple receipt needed to be provided. I just found out their policy has changed. The maximum liability for jewelry (including watches) is now CAD $500.00.
IMG_1314.png

A great benefit if you can talk to people who do care.

It was great getting that level of personal service and care.

It’s been a while since I used the service and in the past a simple receipt needed to be provided. I just found out their policy has changed. The maximum liability for jewelry (including watches) is now CAD $500.00.

There you go! I remember there was a max pay-out. I just couldn't remember what it was. However, they will happily "sell" you coverage in excess of that.

While reading Secursus' Terms and Conditions I came across this little nugget

6.2. THE PARCEL INSURANCE DOES NOT COVER:

• ITEMS SHIPPED THAT ARE SOLD/PURCHASED ON AN ONLINE MARKETPLACE BY INDIVIDUALS. ONLY OFFICIAL BUSINESSES WILL BE COVERED UNLESS APPROVED IN WRITING.
So, If I am understanding this correctly, I would say that this includes watch Forum Market Places, such as the ΩF market place, WUS, etc..

Oh, and...
8.1.3. Special rule regarding non-resistant packaging

Non-rigid and non-resistant packaging, such as bubble envelopes or thin cardboard envelopes, will be insured for a maximum value of €200 (two hundred euros) per Package.

10.3. Secursus applies a filing deadline for claims. In the event of an Incident, the Customer must notify Secursus without delay, and in any case within 3 days of the originally scheduled delivery date, and in any case within 14 days of shipment.

Caveat emptor always, my friends.
Edited:

• ITEMS SHIPPED THAT ARE SOLD/PURCHASED ON AN ONLINE MARKETPLACE BY INDIVIDUALS. ONLY OFFICIAL BUSINESSES WILL BE COVERED UNLESS APPROVED IN WRITING.
So, If I am understanding this correctly, I would say that this includes watch Forum Market Places, such as the ΩF market place, WUS, etc..

Oh, and...

Non-rigid and non-resistant packaging, such as bubble envelopes or thin cardboard envelopes, will be insured for a maximum value of €200 (two hundred euros) per Package.

10.3. Secursus applies a filing deadline for claims. In the event of an Incident, the Customer must notify Secursus without delay, and in any case within 3 days of the originally scheduled delivery date, and in any case within 14 days of shipment.

Good find. Good example of why it's always crucial to read the terms and conditions when using these companies.

Oh, and...

This really concerned me as I use Secursus, so I contacted them. This is the reply:

Hello David,

If you sell your watches on forums specialized in watches that’s ok. In the event of a claim, we require a certificate of sale backed with a proof of payment.

Before shipping, I advise you to read our shipping instructions : https://www.secursus.com/en-gb/prepare-your-package/ and our T&Cs : https://www.secursus.com/en-gb/terms-and-conditions/

Should you need more information, please let me know.

Kind regards,

Phew, thanks for posting. I guess I need another option for insurance. To many "ifs" or "maybe's" I read out of this answer of them tbh :(

Nico

I wrote them with the exact same question as Davidt and got the exact same answer which I view, at best, as a qualifed "maybe.". Frankly, I'm not convinced. There are way too many "outs" in their terms and conditions for my comfort level. I'm sticking with the USPS. I'd like to hear from a forum member, if there are any, who insured through Secursus, suffered a loss, made a claim, and got paid. Anyone?

I wrote them with the exact same question as Davidt and got the exact same answer which I view, at best, as a qualifed "maybe.". Frankly, I'm not convinced. There are way too many "outs" in their terms and conditions for my comfort level. I'm sticking with the USPS. I'd like to hear from a forum member, if there are any, who insured through Secursus, suffered a loss, made a claim, and got paid. Anyone?
Or perhaps more importantly, I'd like to hear from someone who made a claim that was denied, the circumstances of the loss, and the reason for the denial.

I am trying to get a handle on this company - anyone had any dealings with them? I have never heard of them. They claim 6 million global customers.

https://www.xcover.com/en/jewelry-protection

UPDATE: Sorry, but don't think on it - I just found out that it's for merchants only...of course it is...
Edited:

Think I’d rather take my chances with this guy:

gatorcpa

Think I’d rather take my chances with this guy:

gatorcpa

Dear me....says it all I guess. ::rimshot::

The shipper when I ship a product. That is why I price in shipping and insurance. If a package from Amazon doesn't arrive I don't consider that my problem.