Forums Latest Members

Have you ever bought a watch because of the man who owned it before you?.....

1. McKinley Nov 20, 2017

Hello all, I am relatively new to this hobby and newer still to this forum. As I have mentioned before, I am learning several new things each day. I am amazed and in awe of some of you and the knowledge you have. I want to ask the question in the title, but give you a little preliminary info. I have collected things nearly all my life. I have been a coin collector since I was literally 5 years old. As an adult I continued collecting coins and branched out into collecting gold and silver bullion as well. I have told myself I am diversifying and have it in case you know what hits the fan. I have my Grandparents, both sides, coin collections and can't imagine ever parting with them unless my wife and daughter were starving or to keep a roof over their heads. Later, as an adult, I started collecting firearms. Someday I will add a post to the firearms thread on here and maybe show off a little. I have both of my Grandfather's hunting rifles, my Great Grandfather's, an Uncle's firearms and as with the coins, I would never part with them. As a firearms collector I have bought many of "Dad's or Grampa's" old guns that someone doesn't want or because they need a pack of cigarettes or whatever or cuz it is easier to sell these things off than get a job. Sorry, I am off on another tangent rant. A lot of these have become keepers for me and when I am gone the girls will find them in the safe. I joke with them that since they don't share my interests, I know these will go much like how I acquired them and they will be able to live out of the safe for years. Now that I have gotten into vintage watches over the last 16 months or so I recently bought a watch from an acquaintance, who knew of this hobby of mine and offered me his father's totally beat Rolex. Now, I honestly never thought I would own a Rolex, for money reasons and the fact I really don't care for the styling of the modern ones, but this is a very basic Oyster Precision model 6022 from 1952. His father was a career Army man. He served late in WW2, in Korea and in Vietnam. The watch was bought just before he shipped out to Korea and did service with him there and in Vietnam as well and it showed on the watch. I bought the watch, because I am a sentimental old fool. I feel like I own a hero's watch..................so, my question is, as it turns winter here and at least in the U.S. people have more indoor time to tell their stories as well.......have you ever bought a watch simply because of the man who owned it before you? Thank you all for reading this rambling mess and adding your own stories if you choose to do so.

McK

P.S. I know I will be asked for photos of the Rolex, but it went straight from purchase to my watchmaker and after a try at resurrecting the dial and him advising me to have it redialed, after much anguish, I consented and still don't have the watch in hand yet. I know I have probably done a blasphemous thing, but honestly I didn't want to do it but believe it was what John felt was my best option. I am in hopes the watch will look something like this one when returned.

f7c4ef3673b5cf3f2e0f9c0eb7defdb8ae0c3e98.jpg

Edited Nov 20, 2017
    ChrisN, mikechi22, flw and 2 others like this.
  2. mr_yossarian Nov 20, 2017

I actually wanted to keep that secret, but yes, I bought it because Paul Newman owned it :)

dialstatic, watch3s, perks713 and 9 others like this.
  3. ICONO Nov 20, 2017

Have you got an image of the Rolex in its original state, please ?

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 20, 2017

I feel the same about my Marlon Brando watch :thumbsup:

perks713, Foo2rama, McKinley and 2 others like this.
  5. McKinley Nov 20, 2017

I am reluctant to do this, since I fear this will go from a friendly thread to one of judging me and a pissing contest of, "I would have been happy to wear it that way.". When I bought the watch, it had no crystal and hadn't since the late 80's 20170927_142000.jpg . The dial was blistered and John used the word "corroded". Perhaps I made a poor decision, but it was not a snap one. I asked him to try and gently clean it and when he said he couldn't I really anguished over it for several days and finally relented. I even went back to the son and discussed it with him before giving in. Well, I suppose I have opened the door to my own troubles......here is your pic I did take of the dial.

McK

Edited Nov 20, 2017
  6. mr_yossarian Nov 20, 2017

..the other 80% though will say you did right. Don't worry :)

7. ICONO Nov 20, 2017

I am sure, you made the right decision

That dial is ‘Donald Ducked’

A good Dial restorer will it bring it back to life, for the next 60 years

I look forward to seeing it !

mikechi22, McKinley and Nathan1967 like this.
  8. McKinley Nov 20, 2017

Phew!

Nathan1967 likes this.
  9. Nathan1967 Nov 20, 2017

+1 I can picture how great that will look once it’s done.
    The “Heroes” Watch - bringing that back to life will make it wearable again and the memories of the hero in question will live on.

10. Nathan1967 Nov 20, 2017

+1 spot on, completely “ Donald “

McKinley likes this.
  11. GordonL Nov 20, 2017

Another +1 on the correct decision! And great story.

McKinley likes this.
  12. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Nov 20, 2017

Do you know where your watchmaker is sending the dial for re-finish work? Rolex 34mm 6xxx dials (like this Precision) seem to have pretty good results most of the time. At least that's what my watchmaker and my eyeballs tell me.

Personally, I think you're making the right decision here because you're invested in the story of this watch and you probably want to wear and enjoy as almost a companion of sorts. I've watches like this...

I feel like this dial passed the "look at that patina!" stage a looooong time ago. That dial needs some love.

ELV web, McKinley and mr_yossarian like this.
  13. McKinley Nov 20, 2017

I asked, after spending a weekend reading reviews online, and although they recieved higher marks for Hamilton and other American watchmaker's dials than the Swiss makers, John said he only uses International Dial and as stated, I consented to his wisdom. I know Kirk had some higher ratings for the Swiss makers and there are overseas re-dialers as well. I was actually so depressed about reaching this decision and sure nothing could be as good as the original I just went with what John said he would do.

McK

P.S. this thread has not gone the way I had intended. I really wanted to hear all of YOUR stories, but I appreciate the interest in mine and that no one has judged me unworthy to be a member or banned me for this. ;-)

Edited Nov 20, 2017
    BenBagbag, mikechi22 and Nathan1967 like this.
  14. MaiLollo Nov 20, 2017

I agree with the consensus, re-dialing was the way to go for me as well

citizenrich, Nathan1967 and McKinley like this.
  15. lillatroll Nov 20, 2017

Rule of thumb for me....I always buy the seller, so in a way I have bought most of my watches because of who owned them. (nearly all of my watches have been bought from sellers on this site and, with the exception of a dealer who in my opinion was not 100% honest with his description, they have been a pleasure to deal with)

MaiLollo and Nathan1967 like this.
  16. Nathan1967 Nov 20, 2017

In answer to the original question -

No I haven’t- but I bought my first Speedmaster because it was the Watch that the Astronauts wore. No doubt the same reason as many of us here bought the Speedmaster.

GordonL and McKinley like this.
  17. Nathan1967 Nov 20, 2017

Banned! It’s only the complete scoundrels that get banned from OF. This is a democracy of the highest order, not like some of the other Dictatorships masquerading as Fora that are out there, where you can get banned for offering alternate views to the thought police. Allegedly!

citizenrich and McKinley like this.
  18. cvera Nov 21, 2017

Not exactly but when I buy modern pre-owned I buy because the man or woman before me took the initial purchase price hit. I thank them for that.

Not really related, but I remember my watchmaker took the plastic sticker off a caseback of a DeVille I had just purchased. I never forget feeling that I somehow got robbed of that joy. Now I take the sticker off almost immediately after purchase so it doesn't happen again haha.

MaiLollo likes this.
  19. flw history nerd Nov 21, 2017

I haven't had the opportunity to buy a particular watch that has a great backstory like yours does. However, I bought my Omegas because my father wore one when I was a young lad. He recently saw one of mine and congratulated me on a wise decision.

BTW, I'll chime in on the dial - you definitely did the right thing ... I look forward to seeing photos of the (re)finished product!

MaiLollo and McKinley like this.
  20. Waltesefalcon Nov 21, 2017

I got into watches because as a little kid I was fascinated with my Dad's old 16s Illinois. It had belonged to my great grandad who had used it in his job as a RR conductor back in the teens. That is pretty much the only watch I have that has a story, the rest I have bought because that of that one.

As far as your dial goes; judging from what you said you didn't make your decision lightly, so I think you made the right one.

McKinley likes this.