Forums Latest Members

So, who is "going" to the Watches of Knightsbridge Sale today?

1. jhross98 Mar 28, 2020

2. dsacks30 Mar 28, 2020

I just logged in, so I can’t see it. Do you know how lot 33, the gold Breitling 815 Long Playing, did? I was interested in it, but was scared off by the very high estimate.

3. Lucasssssss Mar 28, 2020

For posterity:

w154, Peemacgee, JohnSteed and 5 others like this.
  4. Lucasssssss Mar 28, 2020

passed

dsacks30 likes this.
  5. kov Trüffelschwein. Mar 28, 2020

A long post but no answer to my question :(

Atalien2005 and Shabbaz like this.
  6. ATWG Mar 28, 2020

The 2 lots I followed were the 2 GMT's, which sold at or slightly above mkt prices IMHO.

Lot 171: 9,000GBP ->$13.9K USD (includes 24% buyers premium)
    Lot 172: 9,500GBP->$14.7K USD (includes 24% buyers premium)

Even though I really liked Lot 172, I would NOT be a buyer at those prices for either watch.

So, no sign of softening if you just look at those 2 sales in a vacuum.

7. padders Oooo subtitles! Mar 28, 2020

Well it seemed to me that rather less than half the Omegas sold, with at one point a string of I think it was 9 passed in a row. If this is normal then fair enough but either they routinely over estimate stuff or stuff just wasn't selling. Many of those that did were at the bottom with one bid.

Edited Mar 28, 2020
  8. JohnSteed Mar 28, 2020

Could be right about that @ICONO .... but for now I’ll agree with @cchen that WOK may not be the proxy for the market just yet

Does anyone have results...how do we see results?

Perhaps withdrawn due to seller request for minimum sale price? Any other possibility?

... although the Zenith A386 didn’t seem in That great condition...the dial at least

Was the Zenith A386 sold (fair price) ?

9. Ness Mar 28, 2020

Than you so much for sharing this. Very helpful to understand where the market stands at right now.

JohnSteed and Lucasssssss like this.
  10. Gamma Mar 28, 2020

I was about to say the same thing, I also noticed this one earlier this week and although I’m far from an expert it looked to have been quite strong. I didn’t see any bargains anyway

11. jsducote Mar 29, 2020

I was watching a few lots. I didn't register in time to actually bid, which just showed my overall level of interest. That clamshell Breitling was on my watchlist and was surprising to me. Watched a couple of Heuer's (57 & 66) I've seen them present at previous auctions passed again. I thought the UG Compax (209) was attractive too, especially if you took it off that cheap looking (imho) BOR, and it sold for less than what I would have paid had I really been in.

12. jhross98 Mar 29, 2020

i posted it elsewhere. . but how about the guy who dropped 17.5k CHF on a patek 3700 cork box in the middle of a pandemic!

13. bgrisso Mar 29, 2020

I don't know anything about this auction or the items in it, but I wouldn't take the results (whatever they were) done in the middle of an unprecedented (in modern times) world wide pandemic lockdown, too broadly.

Except I guess if you want insights into how the market will respond if there's another similar situation in the future.

It's hard to imagine a worse time to sell watches, by conventional standards.

14. JanV Mar 29, 2020

We’re not even close yet to what will be ahead, so the results of this auction can not be used as a reference to your statement, as the prices will continue to go even lower.

As this pandemic continues and is being fought and eventually won, but when people start to return to work they may realise there’s potentially no work to go to anymore...

The end of this saga is still unwritten, but i hope it’s not as bad as i imagine in my worst scenarios.

JohnLy, Taddyangle and kov like this.
  15. JanV Mar 29, 2020

On a second note, my opinion on this auction had way too high lower estimates on many of the watches.

There was absolutely no cause to even bid the lowest estimate on many of the ones offered, so the house should really reconsider if they want to get bidders onboard in the future.

Remind you, there’s still the hammer cost to be added and the cost of a full service on most probably every item there was on offer.

16. bgrisso Mar 29, 2020

maybe, no one knows. It could get better, worse, or stay the same for a while.

I guess anyone that knows for sure what is going to happen, should place their bets on the stock market and make their millions

sdre and Sidnos like this.
  17. Dan S Mar 29, 2020

I suspect that the auction house had given most estimates to sellers long before the COVID outbreak and the sellers decided to include their watches based on those reserve prices.

18. JanV Mar 29, 2020

True, i second that! These watches must have been commissioned already some months ago, but something needed now to reconsider for next auctions.

19. M'Bob Mar 29, 2020

You are correct, of course. But..there may be that "reward" phenomenon that lies ahead: "I made it through this shit-show; I'm going to get myself something really nice to celebrate. What about those unfortunate souls that didn't make, and had regrets. I'm going for it!" The question, though, is when...

JanV likes this.
  20. S.H. Mar 29, 2020

Indeed: just think about the roaring 20s after the industrial-scale butchering of WW1 in Europe. The pendulum will swing back... at some point.

M'Bob likes this.