Forums Latest Members

So, who is "going" to the Watches of Knightsbridge Sale today?

1. cchen Mar 28, 2020

well, it's a rarely seen model, and it's 36mm, and i believe this reference was actually sold as a women's watch. perfect for my small wrists, but probably not appealing to the general market that is considering fpj. don't think it went low, if you look at previous auction results for this watch sold prices have been fairly flat for almost a decade. so hope to see this pop up again some time in the future, under better circumstances

KingCrouchy likes this.
  2. kov Trüffelschwein. Mar 28, 2020

Hey @Spacefruit, curious to know if you gave WoK any watches for this auction? Happy with the result if so? :)

3. KingCrouchy Mar 28, 2020

Thanks for your imput, I don't follow the F.P Journe market closely, but noticed in the past weeks some YouTube Channels pushing F.P Journe and was curious if it would show on current auctions. But I based my assumptions on the wrong Reference it seems. I was bit surprised that it went for this amount, since I also wear smaller Watches so this could be a future contender.

cchen likes this.
  4. MikeMan2727 Mar 28, 2020

That would be great! A nice opportunity to purchase some watches at reasonable prices.

5. Cozmopak Mar 28, 2020

These auction results are completely unsurprising given the current economic state. Watch prices across the spectrum will be readjusted accordingly in the coming months.

M'Bob and thelinendial like this.
  6. stevec14 Mar 28, 2020

Try telling the poor sod who paid nearly £12.5k for a 4 year old BLNR that

7. Cozmopak Mar 28, 2020

Which lot number?

8. ATWG Mar 28, 2020

WOW, a sucker is born every seceond.

9. stevec14 Mar 28, 2020

Lot 169. 9.8k plus the 24% add on

Cozmopak likes this.
  10. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 28, 2020

I don’t think the dogleg was a redial, possibly a relume as it was a bit too newish looking.
    The case wasn’t that bad, I’ll bet those lugs look better in the metal than the pics -and it was rose gold, not many of them around. so under three grand not too bad but a good result for the seller in these uncertain times. (Although that crown did stick out like a sore thumb. )

I don’t think the de luxe had issues, just the case was a little soft and if the lower estimate was the reserve it was way too much.

padders likes this.
  11. padders Oooo subtitles! Mar 28, 2020

I will gracefully accept I was likely wide of the mark there then. I was making a snap judgement based on the low res pics on the live bidding page, I hadn't studied the pieces in detail. I recently berated a prolific contributor for doing the same and making a similar gut feeling call on a redial so I should have perhaps been more circumspect since casting aspersions on a piece like I did can have unforeseen negative consequences.

In my head, all things being equal a deluxe version adds maybe £500-1000 over a steel dial so as you say there may be been other factors, but maybe that is just me.

WatchCor, KingCrouchy and Peemacgee like this.
  12. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 28, 2020

I agree, I actually liked the unusual deluxe dial a lot - and the watch was generally a very nice dress watch - just not £3,500 of very nice, at the lower estimate, IMHO.

padders likes this.
  13. padders Oooo subtitles! Mar 28, 2020

Yes. That was optimistic I guess.

It does seem taken as a whole that the market is much softer at present. I know there are those that try to stifle such talk but it was notable how many items were passed since the low estimate was unrealistic in the current climate. I would be very surprised if it were otherwise. At times like these people look to tighten their belts and conserve cash, or if they are buying expect a discount as they assume the seller is distressed. It may be a temporary fillip and normal service may resume in 3-6 months of course. Look at the stock market, most instruments are down 33-50%, it would be odd if other asset classes didn't feel some pain.

Here is a point that William will appreciate, Rapaport have recently suspended publishing their diamond price sheet, since the dealer community refused to accept any downward movement which would effect the apparent value of their inventory. Prices were off ~7% on the last sheet which drove the sector into panic.

Edited Mar 28, 2020
    p4ul, KingCrouchy and Peemacgee like this.
  14. cchen Mar 28, 2020

I'm not sure if you can use WoK as a gauge for how the market is doing. Their inventory and auction results have ways been uneven. It's a signal, but still unclear how things will become.

JohnSteed likes this.
  15. padders Oooo subtitles! Mar 28, 2020

Agreed, which is why I related it to the stock market and diamond market. I wouldn't like to quantify anything, just making the point that it may be currently harder to sell something at the levels prevailing 3-6 months ago. I am not suggesting that a given watch is currently worth X% less, just that there are signs of waning demand.

16. jeppehh Mar 28, 2020

How does one see the hammer prices? Doesn’t seem to be published on their website. ::confused2::

17. Shabbaz Mar 28, 2020

I know I will keep my money in my pocket the coming months...

jumpingsecond and Taddyangle like this.
  18. stevec14 Mar 28, 2020

I’ve still got the auction open in my browser. If you log in now you can’t see it

19. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 28, 2020

Well I think it was an interesting sale, with far more sold watches that I anticipated.

I was going to bid on the blue dial calibre 860 but decided against it last minute. So many of the watches seem to have been estimated right on the value, and this might be why only one bidder appeared on the sale so often.

I would have loved to hear and see an auctioneer, and to hear the bidding start much lower, and to see the bid history as the item was sold.

I will say it again, I think WOK had a good selection and I think they did a good job of bringing that selection to market. You cannot have an auction full of one owner barnfinds and NOS watches.

I do think their interface needs work, and also I would like to see more activity - I found the process dry, distant and unexiting compared to all the big houses.

I have not done the analysis, (and frankly I am not going to) but my feeling was that the lots passed was about the same as previous sales.

I liked the NAAFI speedmaster and the SW and the 105.012 was a true fixer upper but a bit rich.

As for the future, I doubt there will be any B&M auctions for a while. Indeed the B&M auctions might wonder if they have a future, other than viewing galleries.

Now we can look forward to the autumn season - that is going to be interesting, as a lack confidence might prevent consignors and frankly there are a lot of big houses that will be scrambling to find stock, let alone customers to sell to.

I do not have a crystal ball, and I would like to know who in six months will feel good from this sale, the buyers or the sellers?

viwa64, George.A and JanV like this.
  20. Aludic @SpeedyBirthYear Mar 28, 2020

That’s a coincidence. I was looking at that same watch and also decided against bidding on it. Mainly due to the dial damage at 2 o’clock and to the 10 o’clock subdial. I like this reference, though!

5E46A3E8-4DD7-4182-90C9-34F59DEEC1D1.jpeg

Edited Mar 28, 2020