Should I have Omega Speedmaster Pro refurbished or not.

Hello everyone. New to Omega watches. I just inherited my father in laws “PreMoon” Speedmaster Pro. I am thinking it’s somewhere in the later 60s early 70s watch
right now I have it getting apprised so I don’t have it for pics. I don’t want to wear it without insurance.
i say it’s a pre moon watch as the back case has the large speedmaster logo instead of anything listed about its moon mission. In the back case that is.
Sorry I don’t have the serial numbers as I don’t want to open the back of the case myself and wanted the professional do this during appraisal. The watch overall is in working condition. But with a loop you can see the hands illuminating is worn and cracked.
the band is in amazing condition. the techometer bezel overall in good condition.
I am wondering as it’s an untouched watch for so long would it be better to leave it be. Or send it to Omega and have it fully refurbished? this watch was given to him by a Prince from Saudi Arabia after some work he did for him was finished. So has a cool history. Even though the watch itself can’t be traced. I just know the story personally.
thanks Chris

Its likely a Dont Send it To Omega type-watch, but we need to see pictures to give real advice on what to do and not to do.

Yeah will be another 2-3 weeks for appraisal to come back. But they are supposed to be taking back off to pull all numbers and take photos of it same time.

I have to ask why? It’s where it was built. I figured it would get the best service there.

I have to ask why? It’s where it was built. I figured it would get the best service there.
Omega will replace the original parts, such as the dial, hands, and bezel, that hold value & character with modern parts that lack said value & character.

Do you have any photos of the watch you can share? As said above, pictures are needed to provide any real advice on how to proceed.

TBH, it's pointless to ask these questions without comprehensive photos. Wait until you have the watch in hand and start again.

Until then, go slowly and don't send it to Omega prematurely. Manufacturers often require replacement of original parts with what are called "service parts," which can devalue the watch. They are not really in the business of catering to the whims of the collectible market, there's nothing in it for them. If you spend some time on the forum reading old threads, you will find that this issue is addressed repeatedly. The watch can come back looking brand new, with half the value gone. At least Omega usually returns the old parts that are removed.

Regarding the appraisal and insurance, I'm not really sure I see the point, but to each their own. Insurance on discretionary, sentimental items seems useless to me. Just remember that you can't insure the sentimental value. If it's stolen and the insurance company sends you some money, your FIL's watch is still gone, and the money isn't a life-changing amount. So why waste a couple hundred dollars a year.
Edited:

Like 3
Omega will replace the original parts, such as the dial, hands, and bezel, that hold value & character with modern parts that lack said value & character.

Do you have any photos of the watch you can share? As said above, pictures are needed to provide any real advice on how to proceed.
Sorry have to wait once it comes back from appraisal. It works and keeps time. I set time and wound it slightly and it kept time great up to next day.

The horse has bolted as far as my advise regarding sending it for an appraisal.
Anyway, it sounds like a great example, let's know what the appraiser comes up with and then we can see how close they are to reality.

You have good advice in the previous posts so I don't need to repeat that.

Where did you send it for appraisal?

Welcome Chris, and good to know the watch is still in the family and in good hands. I'm glad you found this forum before making any big decisions. Reminds me very much of my first post on this forum:
https://omegaforums.net/threads/questions-on-my-1967-speedmaster.10727/#post-124919

You'll receive good advice and will have a wonderful heirloom for many years to come. Enjoy
Omg your watch looks identical to mine!
About same condition also far as I can tell. Will for sure post pics once I get it back.
glad I came here first before just paying the $900 to send it off to her refurbished.

Like 1
Omg your watch looks identical to mine!
About same condition also far as I can tell. Will for sure post pics once I get it back.
glad I came here first before just paying the $900 to send it off to her refurbished.

It should still be serviced and the seals/gaskets replaced, and that will likely be close to $900 by a qualified watchmaker (just had my modern Speedy done by an independent and that was what I paid). A “refurbishment” does a lot more than servicing the movement (dials, hands, and bezels laced with modern service versions, at the cost of those items) and the case is polished (and sometimes even replaced, if Omega does it). All of these items add cost and remove originality, which is why “refurbishment” is frowned upon by most members of the forum.

Like 1