Forums Latest Members
  1. Otterina Aug 29, 2019

Hello everyone

In addition to my short-lived infatuation with a mutant anniversary connie for which I received no feedback, I have yet another few for consideration. Disclaimer: the first two may induce some groans.

I think it's a blessing and a curse that I have a soft spot for the Constellation megaquartz 32khz & electronic f300hz that are less in demand by collectors (save a very few members here with some amazing pieces... much envy::love::). I'm just happy that these are (for now) more affordable than their mechanical siblings. They're like the less-loved overachieving control freak child of the Omega family which makes me so much more fond of them. I've been looking at these for quite some time and would love your advice as to which one would be a good choice.

The asking price of this one is €595.00. Seller says "Very nice original untouched dial and sword hands in good vintage condition."
    (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Mega...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2) This one (still waiting for inside pics from seller), asking price is £695.00.
    (https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970s-OMEG...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm mainly concerned about the repair and maintenance of these types, because it seems that most watchmakers cannot, or do not enjoy servicing them, and owners and collectors alike also find the costs of any repairs/maintenance done being rather high. Besides the battery needing to be replaced often (which I don't mind), having to pull the crown out when not wearing, different storing methods, etc.... and personally the difficulty of finding a proper bracelet all seem to be problems that are particular to these models. Given this, I would appreciate any feedback in consideration of the conditions as these are, and anything else I should consider, so I can make the best purchase.
    Thank you in advance everyone!

Benbradstock and Zdzislaw like this.
  2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Aug 29, 2019

It helps if you provide your evaluation of these watches first. What are your thoughts?

Benbradstock likes this.
  3. vienna Aug 29, 2019

No. 1 would be my choice. I have owned two f300 but they did not get a lot of wrist time because of their size. Repair costs are relatively high and as you mentioned, not many watchmakers out there willing or able to repair them.

The 1310 Cal. are quite easy to find, so an exchange movement is not too hard to get. I have four 1310 Cal. watches and all of them are running nicely.

They also come in different styles and sizes like big square dials or octagons like the Mariner.

The f300, your No. 2 is a little high on the price, the Megaquartz seems ok pricewise to me.

Kind regards Max

4. Uscjake87 Aug 29, 2019

It is a cool megaquartz. They have a beta 21 electroquartz with a very similar case and bracelet. The 32khz is cheaper to service and get spares. This watch wears big on the wrist, so you will probably not wear it if you think an f300 is too big. Perhaps look into some smaller size accutrons or F300s if tuning forks are your thing.

5. Otterina Aug 29, 2019

Are you trying to walk me through the psychoanalytic process of actualizing my own decision?:p
    They both seem to be good shape, minimal scratches, original parts, original/correct bracelets... not much I can pick apart, but I'd like to know if I'm missing anything. Especially when evaluating the polishing/textures/overall condition, I'm a complete moron. This is why I reached out for help!

@vienna and @Uscjake87 - thank you for that info! I also thought the price of f300 was on the higher end. Both your input just reinforces my initial concerns about the f300 :(. If it only came down to easier maintenance/repair, the megaquartz would win me over. And yes, I should look for smaller models, but I'm so determined to make the megaquartz work for my wrist. I do love the chunk(ier) appearance of the megaquartz more.

6. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Aug 29, 2019

My point was more people tend to respond to watch condition posts when the OP gives their thoughts/ assessment first. If you think dial, hands, etc. are original, case appears to be unpolished, etc. than by all means include that assessment. It doesn't even really matter if you are incorrect about something -- just the fact that people can tell you put some time/ effort into it will usually mean more replies. So if you already did our own assessment -- even if only on some portions of the watch -- it is always good to state so. :thumbsup:

KingCrouchy and Benbradstock like this.