Rolex 5513 dark spot on hour markers

Hi Everyone

On this Rolex 5513 from 1971 there are some lume spots that have darker markings on them. I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this or knows what the cause is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_1245.jpg

Thanks
Jay

It won’t grow if the watch is dried out and water tight, but it won’t get better. It means it got damp in that watch at one point- maybe not wet, but fogged crystal damp.

You could try a bit of this, but it would probably ruin your dial. 😲

71R4d-z5HfL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It won’t grow if the watch is dried out and water tight, but it won’t get better. It means it got damp in that watch at one point- maybe not wet, but fogged crystal damp.

I have seen slow spreading of mold on lume plots (dial or hands). It's so gradual, you would probably only notice it by comparing photos taken years apart.

I have seen slow spreading of mold on lume plots (dial or hands). It's so gradual, you would probably only notice it by comparing photos taken years apart.
Would exposure to UV (like sitting in the sun for a few days) kill it? Perhaps take the dial/movement out of the watch and set it in the sun/fresh air? Maybe exposure to a ozone generator?

Would exposure to UV (like sitting in the sun for a few days) kill it? Perhaps take the dial/movement out of the watch and set it in the sun/fresh air? Maybe exposure to a ozone generator?

Possibly, certainly worth a try since those are very non-invasive approaches. Unfortunately, molds are notoriously hardy.

Thanks for all of your responses. I certainly would not have guessed mold.

The dial does look amazing in person with the naked eye so I wonder how much this hurts the overall value.

Thanks for all of your responses. I certainly would not have guessed mold.

The dial does look amazing in person with the naked eye so I wonder how much this hurts the overall value.
Lume is the canary in the coal mine. It’s like a sponge so any moisture- even just humidity that gets past an old crown seal will get absorbed by the lume.
As far as value- it will affect it compared to one that doesn’t have spotting on the lume. If it doesn’t bother you much, use it as a bargaining chip with the seller.

Here’s some nice moldy spots
0838EDC1-0AC5-47ED-8A23-9802B3F8BE6B.jpeg
I’ve referred to it as “leopard lume” which will catch on and eventually increase the value due to its cool factor.

UV might work, but I would avoid ozone. It is pretty nasty:

"Ozone can cause substantial damage to a variety of materials such as rubber, plastics, fabrics, paint and metals. Exposure to ozone progressively damages both the functional and aesthetic qualities of materials and products, and shortens their life spans."

Source: https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/resources/fact-sheets/ozone-effects

Drying might work. Open the crown and put the watch in a Tupperware container with a couple desiccant packets for a week or two.

UV might work, but I would avoid ozone. It is pretty nasty:

"Ozone can cause substantial damage to a variety of materials such as rubber, plastics, fabrics, paint and metals. Exposure to ozone progressively damages both the functional and aesthetic qualities of materials and products, and shortens their life spans."

Source: https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/resources/fact-sheets/ozone-effects

Drying might work. Open the crown and put the watch in a Tupperware container with a couple desiccant packets for a week or two.
White vinegar is another good treatment for mold- but not on a watch dial of course.

Don't touch it. Won't get better. Call it Vintage. If you are concerned about impact on value and looking disgusting to you, just send it over and we dispose of the watch in a guaranteed climate change friendly way....

@watchyouwant - too funny. I appreciate the fact that you are willing to help relieve me of this burden.
He’s a true humanitarian, and his disposal method is environmentally friendly, cruelty free, conflict free and sustainable- all the things that we want to hear.

This happened inside 2 months...it's not always slow growing...

8tttr66eytw51.png

8tttr66eytw51.png

There are always exceptions but my experience is like Dan's...gradual. I would guess to happen quickly there would have to be a big difference in humidity level inside the watch.

8tttr66eytw51.png
A rare look at 1 owner watch noticing the change. Thanks for sharing!