Forums Latest Members

Rattling noise when tapping SMP300

1. Mark325 Aug 7, 2020

Got my SMP300 for 6 months now and recently changed the strap and found out that when I tap on the front or back of the case it makes a rattling noise .. like the rotor is loose or something.
    And it’s NOT a sound from the strap !

I never experienced this till now and checked the Rolex of a friend of mine wich doesn’t do that sound.

here’s the video : https://imgur.com/a/2UcS0Xa
    ( play with sound !)

maybe someone can test this with his own SMP?
    Thanks guys

2. Canuck Aug 7, 2020

It is hard to know whether the rattling noise in your watch is excessive, but I can say that the Rolex makes little (if any) noise is because the rotor arbor runs in two precision fit jewelled bearings, where the Omega rotor operates on ball bearings. There are advantages to each of the two systems. It is highly unlikely that the rattling you hear has anything to do with changing the strap. As a matter of putting your mind at rest, you might decide to check it out.

3. Mark325 Aug 7, 2020

I just said that because I’ve been wearing it for months now with steel strap and never noticed this. Maybe because the steel strap is louder than this noise. I mounted it on a rubber strap and since then I noticed that sound. It’s not that I always tap on my watch but if I clean it it happens for eg.

4. OmegaP99 Aug 7, 2020

To me that sounds exactly like a loose rotor screw allowing play in the rotor. When you roll the watch gently in your hands, to articulate the rotor, do you also hear a slight scraping sound? You may not if it's loose, but not loose enough to contact the case. Either way, easy fix, your watchmaker can pop the back and tighten it, but also verify there is nothing damaged inside that caused it such as a completely failed rotor bearing.
    Also you will possibly have some light scoring marks on the inside of the caseback and top of rotor.

5. Mark325 Aug 7, 2020

If I roll it in my hand slowly I barley hear any noise.. maybe a light rotor noise.
    As far as markings go I can’t see any of it or a damaged back Glas. So I don’t think it really touches it or anything else..

6. OmegaP99 Aug 7, 2020

I should have been more clear, you would only see the marks with the caseback removed. If you mean this has a display back then you might be able to see the rotor wobble a bit through the glass. Do you have a local watchmaker who can open it for you to verify? Many will have a look while you wait and won't charge just t remove the back.

7. Mark325 Aug 8, 2020

So I just visited 2 Different ADs .. unfortunately they don’t have a watchmaker in their shop/boutique so I only talked to sales lady’s.. but we compared it to a New SMPs and both did the same noise in different shops... so I guess what you hear is normal..?!

OmegaP99 likes this.
  8. PRW Aug 8, 2020

Mine does exactly the same.
    Along with a noisy rotor bearing!
    C'mon Omega, this is basic R&D stuff!
    So many reviews bang on about this watch being a sub killer, no, no, no, it's Omega, it's cheaper, we just have to live with the fact it is not in the same ballpark.
    Rant over, I actually love this watch!

Mark325 likes this.
  9. Donn Chambers Aug 8, 2020

Have y’all seen this thread?

https://omegaforums.net/threads/noisy-rotor-ceramic-cased-seamaster-300.117813/

the noise you are hearing is perfectly normal and is because the movement uses ceramic bearings for the rotor, not metal with lubrication. There are benefits of the ceramic (less friction, no need for lubrication), but they will be noisier. It’s really not a sign of any problem or quality-control issue.

if the noise really bothers you that much, then all you can do is sell it and buy a watch without the ceramic bearings.

OmegaP99 likes this.
  10. PRW Aug 8, 2020

I know Donn but my Seiko doesn't even rattle when you tap it!

Edited Aug 8, 2020
    Mark325 and OmegaP99 like this.
  11. Donn Chambers Aug 8, 2020

because it doesn’t have a ceramic bearing. My Seamaster 300 MC also doesn’t “rattle” but that’s because it also has a steel bearing. Just because it makes a noise you can hear doesn’t mean it is inferior.

12. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Aug 8, 2020

So several people have mentioned that the noise occurs when tapping the watch. I guess what confuses me is why someone would tap their watch so frequently that it would become a source of irritation. What's the purpose and why not just stop tapping your watch?

STANDY and Donn Chambers like this.
  13. PRW Aug 8, 2020

Just an observation ‍♂️

14. Lbennett Aug 8, 2020

Nice to know that we are all wearing tiny little rattles in case an impromptu jam session breaks out ::facepalm1::

Scooterino36 and PRW like this.
  15. alam Aug 8, 2020

here’s my non-watchmaker solution to fix the issue: stop tapping.

flw and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  16. OmegaP99 Aug 8, 2020

I was aware of that thread but this still seemed excessive, I assumed the rotor sound on ceramic bearings was the "grinding" sound as it turned, but never would have guessed there is enough play in the ceramic bit to allow this much lateral movement. Seems to me the bearings are slightly undersized, almost as if they matched the specs of the metal bearings but didn't account for the lube that's no longer present that would take up the remaining space.

Edited Aug 8, 2020
  17. Mark325 Aug 9, 2020

I never noticed this until I changed the strap and removed the steel strap. I guess the sound of the steel strap is more noticeable so you overhear the rotor noise.
    So I changed on rubber band and grabbed the watch and I just feeled that. I don’t tap my watch on purpose but if I clean it I can feel it being loose like the noise.

guess if you never notice it it won’t bother you :D

Captain obvious thanks :p

So now that I know that this is normal for the 8800 cal. Im not worried anymore that something is broken. This was my initial concern about this noise.

As someone else mentioned.. it’s not nice and you wouldn’t expect this from an omega.. but i will live with it, since I got the 5yrs warranty and really like the watch

PRW and alam like this.
  18. alam Aug 9, 2020

we are always here to help! :p enjoy your watch!

PRW likes this.
  19. Donn Chambers Aug 9, 2020

What makes you think this is lateral movement and not the rotor doing its job (rotating)? Did you actually observe this lateral movement through the clear caseback when tapping?

Not owning one of these watches, I have to assume the tapping is just enough to get the rotor spinning a little (because its on the ceramic bearing and has less friction) and that is the noise being heard. Don’t know if you are familiar with the Valjoux 7750 movement, but that rotor only winds in one direction. If you got it moving in the other direction, there is a lot less friction and that thing will spin fast and long enough that you can feel it. Look up Valjoux wobble if you aren’t familiar with it.

Suspect the same thing is happening here with the rotor on the ceramic bearing and that there is nothing mechanically wrong with it.

PRW likes this.
  20. OmegaP99 Aug 9, 2020

As stated, on my IWC 3706 (Valjoux 7750, owned for 15-years so yes I'm very familiar) this is exactly what it sounded like when the rotor screw was coming out so my statement was based on experience.
    (Edit to add that I actually enjoy the rotor wobble on this watch, I like knowing it's alive. Two different sensations/sounds between rotor wobble and what I experienced when the rotor screw was coming loose.)

Edited Aug 9, 2020