Forums Latest Members
  1. wldvrien Oct 25, 2015

Hi everyone

Last week, my manual winding mechanical Omega of around 1950 was serviced. When I hold the watch horizontally and move it vertically I can hear a 'strange' noise, as if something sits loose. I don't know if this sound was there already before the service. Do you think this sound could be normall? The watchmaker assured me everything was all right, but he couldn't hear the noise because of his age (86).

Below you can find some pictures of my watch.

2015-10-24 12.59.45.jpg 2015-10-24 13.03.21.jpg 2015-10-24 13.55.58.jpg

2. vinn2 Oct 25, 2015

does the sound pulse with the ticking ticking?

3. robocaspar Oct 25, 2015

Your watchmaker might of forgotten to put back the movement fixation screws or tighten them

noelekal likes this.
  4. Canuck Oct 25, 2015

If the dial appears to "wiggle" as you wind the watch, or when you set the hands, it could be loose in the case. The case screws are there. There should be a case clamp beneath each case screw. It the mechanism doesn't appear to wiggle in the case, you could be listening to "endshake" of the balance wheel. There has to be a bit of endshake in the balance wheel or the watch won't run. If it runs okay and doesn't wiggle in the case, you are probably okay. Your pictures don't show a view with the case back, on. You're not listening to the rattle of a loose case back, are you?

5. wldvrien Oct 25, 2015

The sound doesn't pulse.

I will check if the movement screws are loose.

The dial doesn't wiggle and the mechanism doesn't seem to wiggle either. I hope it is indeed the 'endshake' of the balance wheel. The watch runs very good by the way.

The noise doesn't come from a loose case back or the wrist band.

Do you hear a similar noise?

Thanks for your help!

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 25, 2015

The case clamps are there. To see if it's the movement making the noise, use two bits of peg wood (or soft toothpicks), one on the screw near the "O" of OMEGA and the other on the screw near the serial number. Try to rock the movement by gently alternating pressure on the toothpicks.

But as @Canuck said, it could be end shake. Just a lot of it if you can hear it.

Kja likes this.
  7. wldvrien Oct 27, 2015

The noise comes from the inside of the movement. The movement itself is tightly fitted to the case.

Is it bad to have a lot of end shake?

8. Canuck Oct 27, 2015

The typical amount of endshake on the balance staff would likely be .002 to .003 mm. If you can hear that, your hearing impresses me!

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 27, 2015

End shake on wheels will vary depending where they are in the train, so it's typically larger out at the barrel and gets smaller as you move towards the balance. It's easy to hear the end shake on many watches, in particular if they are in a thin case, and it does not mean there is too much if you can hear it. I can't say that is what the OP is hearing, but it can be heard certainly.

BTW end shake on a balance wheel is typically more in the 0.02 mm range, not in the thousandths of a mm...those significant figures are...significant! ;)

As an example, Omega specs for end shake on a modern movement like the 3330 chronograph range from 0.015mm to 0.06 mm for the train wheels.

Cheers, Al

10. Canuck Oct 27, 2015

My mistake! Of course, hundredths of a mm, not thousandths! End shake on train wheels would not (in my view) be audible owing to the load applied by the mainspring.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 27, 2015

I didn't indicate it was train wheel end shake he was hearing...

Regardless, balance end shake is easily heard when the watch is running unless the movement is in a heavy dive watch case, or you have poor hearing.

Cheers, Al

12. wldvrien Oct 28, 2015

Thank you everyone for helping me out!

13. LancMan Oct 29, 2022

Several years on from the original post, I have experienced a very similar situation. My recently serviced Omega 2384-1 heirloom also has a similar rattle as described. Quite a relief to have an explanation. Thanks everyone.