Forums Latest Members

Grinding noise when winding? seems wrong....

1. vintage hab Jul 20, 2022

Earlier this year I purchased two Zenith Defy's: one for the watch and one for the bracelet & crown:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/the-octagonal-defy.76997/page-13#post-1962659

I just got the watch back from service, and they also installed the signed crown and ladder bracelet. However, when winding the watch, it makes a gritty grinding sound that you can feel on your fingers. When I realized the problem, I immediately returned to the shop but it was closed. I did see the watchmaker in the street, so spoke to him. He told me that it was common because when winding you have turn the counter-weights... :thumbsdown: He showed me the vintage Rolex on his wrist (looked like a 60s day-date) and it was even worse. Certainly seems odd to me, and the watch wasn't doing it before the service. Here's a video (30 sec) with sound:
    https://youtube.com/shorts/l5J7PyLxHOk?feature=share

Questions for the technical folks:
    1. Is this "normal" or common?
    2. Can I do any damage by winding it?
    3. Can I have it adjusted/repaired without doing another full service? (I'm hesitant to go back to the same guy since I've lost confidence in him)

Thanks in advance.

Mike

2. Donn Chambers Jul 20, 2022

Wow. That is really loud and not something I have encountered on any watch, including several 60s Omegas (Speedmaster and Seamaster). My Rolex also sounds nothing like that, and I can’t believe it was different in the 60s. Sure, if you hold your ear really close, you can hear a faint sound like that, but nothing that loud from a distance.

I’d be a little concerned that his own Rolex sounds like that as well — makes me think you need a new watchmaker.

vintage hab and ghce like this.
  3. ghce Jul 20, 2022

That's a tricky one, yeah not right but if your Watchmaker thinks this is normal there is no way you would want him back in there working his magic.
    I would seek a second opinion from another Watchmaker and give him the full story of what's gone on first.

Archer and vintage hab like this.
  4. vintage hab Jul 21, 2022

Any thoughts from the technical folks / watchmakers on the noise causing damage and ease to correct?

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 21, 2022

These are often difficult questions to answer because sometimes the noise or feel can be subtle. This isn’t one of those times...find a new watchmaker, because there’s no way that’s normal.

Also, you don’t turn any weights when the watch is winding, because there will be some sort of mechanism involved that disconnects the rotor from the winding system when you are winding via the crown. I would refrain from manually winding it.

Cheers, Al

Turpinr, perks713 and vintage hab like this.
  6. vintage hab Jul 21, 2022

Thanks Al for the feedback

7. rspace Jul 23, 2022

My wife used to own a Maurice lacroix with an ETA 2824 that had the similar issues. Even for that the watchmaker said it was normal.

8. Donn Chambers Jul 23, 2022

I’ve had plenty of 2824-based watches in the past, and a grinding noise like that is NOT normal.

vintage hab likes this.
  9. TheGreekPhysique Jul 23, 2022

I think its only "normal" for habs fans. LGR

10. johnireland Jul 23, 2022

Yes...not normal. A watch should wind smoothly, almost effortlessly, and certainly quietly. I just had a bad experience with a long time trusted and respected watch repair expert. I sent him a watch for a full service. When it came back, the second hand stopped and started and jumped erratically. I sent it back. When it came back, the second hand was fine, but now the watch would barely run for 9 hours on a full wind, whether wearing it or letting just lie there. Two strikes...he doesn't get a third time at bat. I demanded my money back for the service and have moved on to another watch repair facility.

vintage hab likes this.
  11. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jul 23, 2022

It would never happen for a Leafs fan. It then again, nothing ever happens for a Leafs fan.

TheGreekPhysique likes this.
  12. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jul 23, 2022

It would never happen for a Leafs fan. It then again, nothing ever happens for a Leafs fan.

TheGreekPhysique likes this.
  13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 24, 2022

295267366_1494650187637200_1666544747773344676_n.jpg

DaveK and perks713 like this.