Forums Latest Members

Question for Watchmakers - Minute and Hour hands do not move but seconds do

1. JTDT Aug 12, 2020

Hoping some resident watchmakers here on OF can chime in here.

I recently received a watch containing Omega Caliber 562 movement with an unknown service history but was told it was keeping time but running fast at around 25+ seconds a day. .Today upon receiving this watch i noticed the hour and minute hands do not move but the seconds hand does sweep.

I took some video footage of the action and tried to run through a full 24 hour cycle changing the time and allowing the date function to roll into the next calendar day but nothing changes, the hour and minute hands still do not move.

I have already started dialog with the seller on what is the best way to correct this. The watch is from Japan so not exactly around the corner from Seattle. Looking online at possible causes there is mention of it possibly being the Cannon Pinion but respect it could potentially be other issues.

How serious could this issue be? Truth be told the watch itself is in remarkable cosmetic condition with the exception of the bracelet clasp, it doesn't look or feel like its ever seen the side of a polishing machine, The dial is perfect for me so the truth is i am hoping the issue isn't to serious so i can actually keep the watch and just send for service/repair without it being overly cost prohibitive. I figured i would already be $200 or so in just for a service. How much should i be thinking now?

I can't be to upset. Its a 57 year old watch but i was hoping it would at least tell the time !!

2. janice&fred Aug 12, 2020

Cannon pinion problem possibly?

JTDT likes this.
  3. redpcar Aug 12, 2020

upload_2020-8-12_22-8-47.png

janice&fred likes this.
  4. SkunkPrince Aug 12, 2020

Since you're in Seattle, take it to Nesbit's for an estimate and see if the seller will pay for part of the service. It wasn't serviced when you bought it?

Edited to add, $200 for a service ain't gonna happen. $500 is more realistic, where you are.

OmegaP99 likes this.
  5. JTDT Aug 12, 2020

No service when i bought it. Unknown service history though the caseback shows it has been services at some points during its life
    I hear good things about Nesbits. I hear quite expensive though. Like $700+.

6. SkunkPrince Aug 12, 2020

They're Omega authorized and did a stellar job on my 2254.50 Seamaster Professional. You will get a good job. Don't be afraid of paying what skill is worth.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 13, 2020

Do the hands feel very easy to turn? Might be hard to tell with the movement still in the case, but most likely thing is the cannon pinion being too loose. At the worst, this would require a new cannon pinion, but most time it can simply be tightened, so no additional cost during a service for tightening.

A new CP would be ~$45...

JTDT and janice&fred like this.
  8. JTDT Aug 13, 2020

Thank you for the above explanation, Yes the hands move very freely vs any other i have when changing the time. Hand winding doesn't feel the way it should. I have an Cartier Tank Automatic and a Tag Diver with an ETA 2824-2 and both seem very different to this one when being manually wound from having no power.

It definitely needs a service and i knew that going in, just wasn't expecting the extra issue of the minutes not moving.

Thanks Again

9. OmegaP99 Aug 13, 2020

That sounds closer to chronograph pricing to me. Also, since this seems to have happened in shipping can't the seller file a claim that would offset the repair? Damage is damage and this would indicate not being packed with proper shock protection. Sending a delicate vintage watch overseas requires lots of bubble wrap and padding, and insurance!

JTDT likes this.
  10. redpcar Aug 13, 2020

Wait, you are saying the canon pinion wore out in shipping? Not sure if I'm reading this correctly.

janice&fred likes this.
  11. JTDT Aug 13, 2020

I called them this morning, $771 Plus tax, They would replace the crystal/crown etc, Basically a major overhaul just like one would receive if sending to Omega in NJ (That's something i am not interested in) I mentioned wanting to keep the watch as original as possible but was told all of these parts would need replacing. They are running a 5-6 week wait right now.

Item actually was packaged very well, Bucket loads of bubble wrap and stored in smaller internal boxes to shield it. Could the long journey over have caused it? Sure, could there have been an issue from the beginning and maybe the seller failed to notice?? Sure... I am trying to remain as positive as one can as things happen. Overall though i really like the cosmetic condition. That's a plus. I just hope the seller and i can resolve this quickly so i can get this one off to a watchmaker and put right.

OmegaP99 likes this.
  12. SkunkPrince Aug 13, 2020

The crystal and crown are required for water resistance to get the three-year service warranty.

That does seem a little high but they can get all of the parts you need for a full service. Once the worn parts are replaced, you should be good for many years to come especially if this is not a daily-wear watch for you.

13. JTDT Aug 13, 2020

$771 plus taxes for a service and repair of a standard complication is more than a little high in my opinion. I don't doubt they produce excellent work but this seems excessive. I would expect a higher cost of working on a movement far more complex than this.

Either way, this will need to see a qualified watchmaker to get it back to working order.

14. OmegaP99 Aug 13, 2020

I was under the impression that was speculation at this point? Either way if a watch was sold as functioning and it is now not functioning after a cross Pacific journey, it seems to have happened in shipping. I'm not a watchmaker by any stretch but if Archer said it is perhaps just loose is it not possible shock and vibration could have caused this if it was already on the edge per se?

JTDT likes this.
  15. OmegaP99 Aug 13, 2020

Seems high to me as well. I'd get a second opinion.

JTDT likes this.
  16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 13, 2020

By all accounts they do good work, but being a former official service center, they tend to think like a service center does. I have had conversations with a bunch of collectors where they were told that they had to replace parts on vintage watches, that they wanted to keep original.

Without knowing what parts would be included, difficult to say if this is a reasonable price or not. I suspect what is driving that price is more the cost of parts than anything. Omega has been jacking up parts costs like crazy, in particular on vintage watches, and this includes the 550 and 560 movement parts. Doesn't take many parts to end up adding a couple hundred to the bill, so likely they are covering themselves.

No. This is an issue that takes time to develop...

ChrisN, JTDT and OmegaP99 like this.
  17. janice&fred Aug 13, 2020

Like Al mentioned, cannon pinion adjustment is usually not an extra charge during a complete service so you're probably not in any worse shape than when you first bought the watch, since you knew going in it needed service.

JTDT likes this.
  18. SkunkPrince Aug 13, 2020

To be fair, it is just an estimate. The final cost might be lower... or much higher.

I think we need to see the watch in question....

19. JTDT Aug 13, 2020

As Requested.

166010 0812.jpg
    OmegaP99 and janice&fred like this.
  20. SkunkPrince Aug 13, 2020

Oh too funny, I just bought one of those! Yours is in better condition. Yes, worth the cost to restore. These are not particularly rare or valuable, in my opinion. So, Omega is a viable choice, and I am considering sending mine there as well.

Be aware they don't make that crown any more, so one way or another you're likely to lose it.