Forums Latest Members
  1. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Mar 23, 2019

I think not. Or very little. All the oils are bone dry.
    Might want to remove the old battery to prevent leakage :D

2. Strope Mar 23, 2019

I think we will sell it at an auction, if we do decide to sell. We'll know a bit more during the next few weeks. Thank you for all your expertese! I will keep you guys posted and maybe you can come and bid up the price a bit :cool:

3. WYO_Watch Mar 23, 2019

You better believe they will! What a great find. A literal jackpot lottery you just hit - and you didn’t have to waste any money on tickets. Best of luck and congrats.

Goodbye mortgage ::bleh::

Strope likes this.
  4. corn18 Mar 23, 2019

Wow! You just found a Porsche 911 Turbo S in a drawer. Congrats!

Taybharr, sdre, sjg22 and 4 others like this.
  5. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 23, 2019

There are no words, so ...

::psy::::psy::::psy::::rimshot::::rimshot::::rimshot:::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Fantastic stuff @Strope ... hope it all works out for you and your family and this mini-lottery does you all good :thumbsup:

Please keep us posted...

marco, nonuffinkbloke and Strope like this.
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 23, 2019

No

7. SuperHero Mar 23, 2019

Is this not the second "drawer" find in the past 2 days? Everyone: reach out to your families and get them to open all the drawers!!!

sjg22 likes this.
  8. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Mar 23, 2019

:eek: Hang on mate! I joined this forum with a vintage Speedmaster, that is far less valuable than your watch, and I was advised to only allow a real expert to open my watch. I really hope you can just take your time, and get the correct guidance from our experts with this one. Has anyone referred you to Speedmaster101
    http://speedmaster101.com/assessment-guide-2/
    Lovely to hear a story of such good fortune!:)

Edited Mar 23, 2019
    Strope and sjg22 like this.
  9. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Mar 23, 2019

When I searched my Grandfather's drawers I only found an old Playboy magazine and the Vaseline.

Uniqez, marco, sdre and 22 others like this.
  10. Dgercp Mar 23, 2019

I need to invest in drawers :)

SuperHero and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  11. izydor Mar 23, 2019

Hi @Strope

Congratulations on your finding! Cannot comment much on the watch, as I'm totally new here and my experience is close to none. I've started similar thread here recently, but with approx 5-10 times lower value. Still quite similar in terms of literally pulling stuff from a drawer that turned out (stuff, not drawer) to be much more valuable than you could even think. Therefore I also find advices you got here very wise and helpful.

I'm just curious - question for you, experienced people - won't such a timepiece gain value over time? Now it can be traded for a Porsche. Maybe it's worth to put it in a deposit box and get Bugatti or RR or both after few years? ;)

Best regards!
    Iz

merchandiser, ock2915 and Strope like this.
  12. Bbturbo Mar 23, 2019

Congrats @Strope. Great find, beautiful watch and a wonderful story.

Strope likes this.
  13. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 23, 2019

Hey guys, What did I miss?

14. Dan S Mar 23, 2019

Nobody knows if the value will increase over time. And certainly one can't predict if it will be a better investment than real estate or an index fund.

Taybharr and Strope like this.
  15. boogedyboo Mar 23, 2019

Wow, just wow. Hang on to that piece OP, that’s a very special piece you have there.

Do a lot of research before proceeding with the next step. A lot of research.

It will be worth it.

Strope and Foo2rama like this.
  16. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Mar 23, 2019

This was too easy
    4595D054-1EC4-4F51-ACFA-408A6F8515AF.jpeg

17. Screwbacks Mar 23, 2019

we all know the watch itself and the potential value. the real interesting story is the fact it was hiding in a drawer probly for years in that condition. could be nonfunctional when it was placed by his dad. then forgotten. old cars are discovered in a barn, and this one in a drawer. fantastic story. so check all drawers in all barns for car owners who might have forgot their watches while working in a barn.

Strope likes this.
  18. BenBagbag Mar 23, 2019

I think this is great advice. You can definitely negotiate fees down on a piece like this because it will attract a lot of buzz to the auction house which hopefully will drive up all the watches. Make a list of auction houses, tell them politely that you are going to reach out to a bunch before making a decision, and watch them come down on fees.

Amazing find. These things can be stressful so I hope for you that it brings you and your family only good things.

19. wkimmd Mar 23, 2019

Sell it on eBay!!!
    No - don’t do that. Congratulations on your find - excited to find out the end result of this story!!
    ::psy::

Strope likes this.
  20. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Mar 23, 2019

what is the number, scratched into the side of the back? and i`d start with Phillips Auctions in Geneva. sell as is with that band. part of the history. you will be able to have it listed there with very low fees for you. your next auction there would be the November auction. they will either come to you or they organize a worldwide security courier to pick it up from you and insure from that moment on for a set price; in this case i would insist on US$ 200,000. Aurel Bacs is still the worlds best Auctioneer for vintage watches. if they want it open to secure their bet and check the movement number with the factory, they will advice you, who shall open the watch and it is on their risk. if you want to keep it in the family, get a safe deposit box. kind regards from Australia. Achim

red crowned, marco, Giff2577 and 16 others like this.