Forums Latest Members

PLEASE stop posting/bumping several items for sale on the same day!

1. MTROIS Apr 22, 2019

...and what about the 200 posts exception. Am I missing something??

2. wristpirate Apr 22, 2019

Afaik if a member has a track record elsewhere they don't need to meet the 200 post rule in order to sell.

3. alam Apr 22, 2019

I believe that was answered sometime ago by a Mod - the "200 post exception" was eliminated, and if we see any member selling with less than 200 posts are from those who were approved before the rules were changed....

wristpirate likes this.
  4. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Apr 22, 2019

A few years ago, within a non-stickied thread, I Do remember a mod addressing ‘sold’ bumps before, saying they are not part of the ‘one post per day’ restriction.

efauser likes this.
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 22, 2019

By the way, it's not a matter of "waiting" for the sold bump to get moved down as you are implying, it's about reducing the number of bumps overall. To me a sold bump should count as your one daily bump - if that were enforced I would be happy.

"There is a limit of ONE thread, OR ONE bump, or one post, per day (24 hours) (regardless of number of watches listed) on the Private Watch Sales forum per person, use consideration."

6. alam Apr 22, 2019

@DLT222 what's the rule for "sold" bumps??? - I feel there's help needed to cope with bumps!

MTROIS likes this.
  7. R3D9 Apr 22, 2019

There is one situation where a same-day bump is appropriate, in my mind...

Because the mods are now screening sales posts before they become active, new posts sometimes appear well down the list due to the delay between the sales post being submitted and approved. It seems that when they appear on the sales forum, they show up in the timeline as when the post was submitted rather than when it was approved.

A lovely black-dialed Seamaster I saw listed yesterday but was buried by seven or eight older listing bumps by the time it was approved.

In those instances, I think the seller should be able to bump the post to bring it to the top.

I’m curious to know what others think about this?

MTROIS likes this.
  8. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Apr 22, 2019

Personally, I feel as though that gets well enough taken care of by a next day ‘bump’.

Of course, those sellers looking for a quick sale may not agree with that…

Lonestar likes this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 22, 2019

I personally don't see being 7 or 8 spots down from the top of the page as being a serious issue. Sometimes people act like the only listing that gets any attention is the one at the very top...strange...

Personally I would be in favour of only allowing a hump once the listing is off the first page.

10. ConElPueblo Apr 22, 2019

I find the issue of being "buried" due to slow approval annoying, but solely for selfish reasons. I like to get watches sold in a hurry and usually post in the evenings, so a few times my listings have been approved just before I went to bed (a fair bit of time after being completed by me) and I've woken up to 5-6 PMs that I haven't got time to reply to until after work. It's not a huge problem, IMO.

It could be amended somewhat by coding that changed the posting time of the thread to the time when a mod approves it, instead of the time the OP completes the thread; a new thread appearing in the middle or to the end of the "Latest" feed gets overlooked.

First page in the Private Sales forum not the "Latest" feed, right?

11. wristpirate Apr 22, 2019

One bump a day is plenty enough for a private seller.

speedamatuer and kov like this.
  12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 22, 2019

You mean this?

Latest58k.jpg
    It's clearly not something I use, so yes I mean the sales page...;)

dougiedude and kov like this.
  13. IanS Apr 22, 2019

bump

Lonestar and MTROIS like this.
  14. ConElPueblo Apr 22, 2019

Well, that figure says nothing about how much you use the "latest" feed, only whether or not you read your alerts, but I take your point ;)

The reason I started this thread was because I was annoyed over the latest feed getting clogged up. I - and I suspect a high number of other members - use that page as my primary way of navigating OF. Certainly, I can tell by numbers of likes or buying offers if a post of mine is on the feed.

My main issue with the bumps isn't that it moves my own sales posts to the rear, but that hides interesting posts in the main fora from immediate view. We only need a few more pseudo-dealers to make the "latest" feed into a sales channel and that's a shame :(

wsfarrell likes this.
  15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 22, 2019

Well, since that number would reset if I clicked on "latest" (at least as I understand it - I've never clicked on it), I think it does reflect that I don't use the latest feed at all...

16. wkimmd Apr 22, 2019

Well after reading this thread - I PERSONALLY won’t do the SOLD bump. I just sold a piece this morning (to an OF member, yay) and will just edit the title and leave it at that. I think I get what the anti-bumpers are talking about, at least with regards to OHPF and SOLD bumps, and you’ve convinced me to make it my new practice.
    Happy Monday everyone!
    W

eugeneandresson and ConElPueblo like this.
  17. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Apr 22, 2019

It is a minor quibble as a seller and it is easy enough to bump it the next day, but I find it to be an inconvenience as a buyer as well. Sometimes the "SOLD" bump is where I see it first (I am a user of the Latest thread display too)...

I think another solution would be to have the moderator that approves the thread just post a quick reply to say "approved" or whatever and that would effectively bump it for the seller.

This thread also made me change my ways. For me the "Sold bump" was a learned behavior, I saw others doing it and assumed it was just what I was supposed to do and hadn't given it all that much thought. I am generally not one for more rules or over-policing but as the forum grows I think it is good to be thoughtful about how we post in order to minimize clutter on the front page.

eugeneandresson, R3D9 and ConElPueblo like this.
  18. ConElPueblo Apr 22, 2019

It doesn't work that way, hence my reply :)

I did this too before I got old and grumpy.

Happy Monday to everyone!

wsfarrell likes this.
  19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 22, 2019

Thanks for confirming - this is why I asked if that was what you were referring to, because as I've said, I don't use this feature...

20. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 22, 2019

I'm in favor of a hump any time.

eugeneandresson likes this.