Please help me! How can I remove this stem…

Could someone give some ideas how to remove the stem from the main plate? It’s an omega 267 caliber. Rusted as f***ed. I disassembled the movement as far as I could. The dial is still in place so I hesitate to use some chemicals (like a rust remover) cause I don’t know the effects it might bring to the dial. Cut the stem off???? 👎👎👎👎

I’m a complete amateur and not a watchmaker and this is an eBay watch I bought recently. I thought it would be a great challenge to put it back running again… 😟

I am not a watchmaker nor do I play one on TV, but I would first try and remove the crown, heat it slightly see if you can separate if from the stem, You might then be able to get the movement out of the case. You could then remove the dial etc so it would not be damaged by any thing you attempt to use to remove the stem. Mind you, I have no idea what I am talking about.

There are couple of guys (Archer, Canuck) here who I'm sure have had some experience with rusted/frozen stems. I'd recommend a small amount of solvent/penetrant to break the part free. If you don't soak it, your dial should be safe. Apply a little wherever you can get to the stem, let it sit, try to work it loose. Try to turn the crown with your fingers. It can very likely be removed, but it might make breaking the stem free easier. Practice patience with it. Apply a little more solvent, even WD40, and let it sit overnight. Try working it free again with your fingers. I think it can be freed in that way then you can get the dial off and give it a good spa rust treatment.
Edited:

I would first try and remove the crown, heat it slightly see if you can separate if from the stem, You might then be able to get the movement out of the case.

Good advise… once the crown was off the dial and plate came out easily 😀

Looks like it might be missing a case tube, which could be the reason for all the rust, but I could very easily be wrong. Me giving any advice is like the blind leading the blind. But I would avoid cutting it since it might be rusted to the winding pinion, and might be harder to remove without the crown to pull on. I guess a pair a pliers could do the job at that point though.

That stem will come out if you keep at it. Use something to grip it near the case so as to not damage the threads in case you end up using the stem after cleaning it up.

Get some penetrant oil and sit the movement in that overnight, then if you have an ultrasonic, give it 10 minutes in a bath of cleaning fluid or kerosine.

Make sure that the stem release detent is pushed down, check on the other side of the plate, it's important that all of the setting parts are clear of the stem.

Do lots of wiggling (pushing stem in/out.

If that doesn't work you may have to get biblical with it. Put a pin vice on the stem and put the movement in a holder, support the pin vice so it doesn't bend the stem.
Then use round nose pliers between the vice and the movement holder. Just hold the pliers vertical and use the rounded tips as levers by squeezing the pliers and move the pliers down bit by bit.

The aim is to exert force directly out from the stem, not to twist or bend it.

IMG_1052.JPG