Forums Latest Members

Please help me assess this vintage DeVille I am considering

1. alpha_and Jan 18, 2019

Hello.

I'm new to this forum and to Omegas but I do have some experience with vintage watches. I'm thinking about purchasing this particular piece from an eBay seller who has been discussed favorably in these forums, but I would like some additional opinions, if you don't mind.

The watch is listed as a DeVille cal. 620. The serial number on the movement, in the 32 millions, puts it at 1970, according to the tables I've found on line. I am looking for a 1970 watch as a gift for someone, and I think a simple, classic-looking dress watch such as this one would suit him well (I'd be changing the strap immediately, lol). At $348, the price is right for me.

To me, the dial and movement look clean. It has both an Omega-signed crown and crystal. I've been trying to comparing the details to other photos online but I could use an expert's eye: Is the printing on the dial correct and original? Are the case lines, particularly at the lugs, sharp enough or does it look like there's been some polishing? Is this a reasonable value? Again, looking at this as a special gift, not an investment piece.

Thanks for your time and trouble!
    Omega1.jpg omega2.jpg omega3.jpg omega4.jpg omega5.jpg omega6.jpg

2. Dan S Jan 18, 2019

The price seems fair to me. The dial and hands are nice, so the watch will face up nicely on the wrist. The case has obviously been polished too much for most collectors, but probably not enough to bother anyone other than a collector. There is pitting that suggests moisture ingress at some point, and the movement has been treated a bit roughly. So if you are going to give this is a gift, you would want to factor in a full service by a trusted watchmaker. As you know, the watch is fairly small.

3. alpha_and Jan 18, 2019

Thank you very much. I'm budgeting for both the watch and a service -- I wouldn't want to give someone a piece that would cause headaches down the road. I have plenty of time so I think I'll wait and see if I can find something that isn't showing signs of moisture entry. Appreciate the help!

4. Dan S Jan 18, 2019

Just to be clear, the pitting seems to be confined to the back of the mid-case, so it may only be a cosmetic issue.

alpha_and likes this.
  5. alpha_and Jan 18, 2019

Thanks.