Forums Latest Members

How can I remove the back of this vintage Seamaster?

1. PThompson Jun 26, 2016

I inherited this Omega from my father. I recently had it serviced at the Jeweler. He replaced the crystal, push/pull knob on the side and band. Everything else is original to the watch. It keeps excellent time. Other than that I know nothing else about it, so I was wondering how I can get the back off to take some pictures. Is there a tool I can purchase? Thanks....

seamasterfront1.jpg seamasterback.jpg seamasterside1.jpg seamasterside2.jpg seamasterdial.jpg

2. Canuck Jun 26, 2016

Since you have to ask how to remove the case back, it might be best if you don't try to open it. The case back is not removable. If it needs work, it needs expert attention. You may well have a caliber 550 movement in your watch, a picture of which you may see in this link to Dr. Roland Ranfft's movement archive.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Omega_550

It's too nice a watch to use to experiment on!

Edited Jun 26, 2016
    chronos and OMGRLX like this.
  3. alam Jun 26, 2016

OMGRLX likes this.
  4. OMEGA 1961 Jun 26, 2016

Please PLEASE ask for the 'pull/push knob'/ watch strap back..you have devalued your poss late 50's early 60's Seamaster by £100's....

5. PThompson Jun 26, 2016

Thank you for your response. And yes, I know nothing in regards to watches. As it was my 85yr old mom was the one who took it to her jeweler before giving it to me. So my info was vague. I am sure he cleaned it as well. I do know it is a bumper and it is 17 jewel, but without removing the back, I really have no clue. I agree, it is a nice watch. My mom said that my grandfather had given the watch to my dad as birthday gift. So through the generations is remains.

smitty190373 likes this.
  6. PThompson Jun 26, 2016

I would like to do as you recommended as to keep it to its original circa, but where do I get such parts? It's a cool watch.

7. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jun 26, 2016

If you want to take photos of the movement you will need to get the jeweler/ watchmaker to open up the watch and remove the movement for you.

OMGRLX likes this.
  8. PThompson Jun 26, 2016

Thank you! Now the key will be to find a good jeweler/watchmaker in my area.

9. PThompson Jun 26, 2016

10. Canuck Jun 26, 2016

No! Your watch is not a "bumper" automatic! It is likely one of the 550 series of movements such as shown in the link in my previous post. Your watch was produced probably 10 to15 years after the bumper automatics were discontinued. And those older calibers were never fitted to this design of case!

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Omega_550

Giff2577 likes this.
  11. PThompson Jun 26, 2016

Thank you for that. I am laughing because I am dealing solely by the info my elderly mom has given me. I do know that if I have not wound it and I pick up and place it on my wrist it will begin moving and keeping time. Of course, I do have to wind it as well in order for it to keep excellent time. But it will start keeping time immediately when I place it on my wrist and begin moving my arm. Your info tells me two things. One...I need to do my homework on Omega watches. And two...I have absolutely no clue as to what I am talking about. That is why I came to this forum. From what little I read, I knew that there was quite a bit of knowledge floating around this forum.

12. ChrisN Jun 26, 2016

It looks an elegant watch and nice for you to wear with it having been your father's.

Someone has confused "bumper" with "automatic". Bumpers were early forms of an automatic mechanism that charges your watch as you wear it. Yours is a bit later and has a more modern automatic mechanism. It will run continuously if you wear it and are moving about. You usually wind these only if you've not been wearing it for a day or so.

The crown (push-pull knob) was probably replaced as the seal inside it was worn. It should now be water resistant which is a very good thing as any moisture in the watch can lead to an expensive repair. Still, don't assume it is water resistant unless your Watchmaker confirms it. Even then it would need periodic checking so best to treat it carefully.

There's lots to read on here and I hope you enjoy it.

Cheers, Chris

Giff2577 likes this.
  13. PThompson Jun 26, 2016

I was the one confusing the "bumper" with "automatic" as I was given that misleading info from my elderly mom who gave it to me after my dad passed. I don't know much about this particular Omega but I do like the elegant look of it. I will keep it until my son is old enough to receive it. My mom did have to replace the crown, but I would love to know where I can get an original crown for the year it was manufactured along with the wrist band? Any info on that would be appreciated. Restoring it to it's original look. It was certainly kept in good shape.

14. ChrisN Jun 26, 2016

In order to get the crown, you'll need the case number which means opening the watch. If you had it serviced by a Watchmaker, you can ask him for the case number as he'll probably have a note of it. Then, you can try and get a crown (and probably a stem) from Otto Frei or Cousins and keep it until the next service or get your Watchmaker to switch them. To be honest, you could just leave this to him and ask him to do that the next time it's open although unless he has an Omega account, he's soon going to be struggling to get parts as the two companies I mentioned will run out and Omega won't supply them any more.

You won't get a 50 year old wrist band but if you don't like the one you have, there are many strap companies out there. This might have 18mm width lugs and could suit a 1960s Beads of Rice Omega (BOR) bracelet. Have a look on ebay but, you'd need the correct end links and with the case number, someone will know which they are.

Good luck, Chris