Forums Latest Members

Please help me find a replacement for my Rolex

1. 83n Jul 3, 2020

So. I just sold my Batman. I liked it. It was really beautiful, comfortable and perfectly sized. But I did not like two thinks about it. First, the street worth was too much for me to carry around on a daily basis. Second, too many people recognised it as an expensive watch and commented on it.

While I still have my Moonwatch, a CK2998 Limited Pulsometer and a nice little TAG Carrera Calibre 6, I feel like there is a hole in my collection now.

I want to stuff it, spending 4.000 € max. Could you please help me find the right watch?

My wrist is about 18 cm but I have slender forearms altogether. So it shouldn’t be too big and thick. I like timeless watches, I want to keep it, maybe even for the rest of my life. So I don’t it to feel dated when a new iteration comes in a few years.

Brand wise I learned to prefere Omega. They just offer so much value for the money and I like the design.

Going grey or even used is ok for me.

I was in two cities and visited 5 ADs the last two days. Here are some impressions:

Omega PO: would be a no brainer for me. Such a beautiful and luxurious watch! I love it. I fortunately, no size was right for me. The 43,5 was way too massive and the 39 looked like a women’s watch on me in the mirror. Maybe I would get used to a small watch?

Omega Constellation: I liked it on the shelf but not on my wrist. The lugs were a bit too long and straight.

Omega AT: Man! That white dial on the rubber is nice. I almost bought it on the spot. But I’m afraid it would also be to big for me.

Omega DeVille: Too formal and dressy.

Tudor Black Bay 58: I tried the blue one but would prefere the black. A nice little watch. Wears a bit taller than the 39 mm PO but still fairly small. On the other side, I had the regular Black Bay and always wished for it to be smaller. Hated the rivet bracelet and the lack of adjustment... WTF...

Zenith Chronomaster: I was blown away when the sales guy came with the Chronomasters. But again... the size. The 42 was way too big and the 38 rather small. Furthermore, they are a bit over budget.

Zenith Defy Skeleton: I really liked that one, very light and comfortable. Maybe a bit to special for me but really cool and sporty. I am afraid it would be hard to sell if I don’t want to keep it.

Omega Seamaster 300 MC: No AD had that one to try what was a pity since I really like the design. But it could be a bit to tall for me.

And last but not least, the Omega SMP. I had that watch. I loved it but sold it when the call for the Batman came. I thought I will buy it again later. I should buy it and maybe I will... but that is one example I mean when talking about timeless. I think, 5 years down the road there will be a completely new model again and I will prefer it again, as it happened with the last one, what was my grail for a while.

I could also buy an older model. Like the one Brosnan wore. After all, he is my favourite James Bond.

Another idea is to aim for a Speedmaster collection. I already have two and adore both of them. There is a two tone Speedmaster reduced I really like and since my wedding ring and my current classes are gold I could use some precious metal in my collection.

May I kindly ask for your opinion on the watches I listed? Do you have any other suggestions for me?

2. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Jul 3, 2020

I doubt you’ll get much by way of precious metal for the budget you’ve set, but personally I’d say the Omega FOIS Speedmaster would compliment the other two beautifully, or if you want to replace one GMT with another then maybe the Tudor Pepsi. Good luck!

Dedalus05 and 83n like this.
  3. SkunkPrince Jul 3, 2020

Similar in size is the Railmaster LE. I think Jomashop still has them. Love mine!

connieseamaster and 83n like this.
  4. 83n Jul 3, 2020

i haven’t tried that one. Maybe worth a look!

Thanks for your suggestion but the Tudor GMT is too big and the FOIS is to similar to my Pulsometer (same case, hands etc.)

5. CPRwatch Jul 3, 2020

Get yourself a nice pre owned 36mm datejust on jubilee , winner , winner .
    07008A2E-FA1E-4E34-A8E1-3D4A4B6E4712.jpeg

6. stevec14 Jul 3, 2020

I’d go black bay 58. Not sure it wears taller than even a 39mm PO. Great bang for buck and importantly timeless.

else, agree with the above - a DJ is a great shout.

AveConscientia, blufinz52 and 83n like this.
  7. 83n Jul 3, 2020

Thank you two. I won’t get another Rolex anytime soon.

I had the BB58 and the PO39 next to each other and tried them both. I really thought that the BB fitted better. Yes, it would be a good choice. And a save one too.

8. wristwretch Jul 3, 2020

Have you considered a Planet Ocean GMT? They wear wonderfully well at 43mm (I typically wear 38/40mm but the PO is so well proportioned. The black and while bicolor bezel model is my pick (and maybe my next pick-up).

I think it’s special without being too showy. It’s chock full of technical quality and value but doesn’t have that overly showy disposition that comes with Rolex sports watches (and I say that as a Rolex owner). Gray / used they are right at your budget.

Another thought (your aesthetic preferences depending), I think Montblanc’s heritage line is just killing it lately, with an array of lovely, sporty options in this price range.

connieseamaster and 83n like this.
  9. redzer007 Jul 3, 2020

Watch co Seamaster 300 or go totally nuts with a ploprof

And if I totally ignore budget, a seamaster from the 1957 trilogy

Or save a wedge and fly under the radar with a Seiko SPB149J1

Edited Jul 3, 2020
    83n likes this.
  10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 3, 2020

I doubt the 300mc will feel too tall, if you had no issue with a 39mm PO. That's way thicker.

Have you thought about a Globemaster?

83n likes this.
  11. 83n Jul 3, 2020

The 39 mm PO should be about 1 mm thinner than the MC. I think Omega is quiet neat with the case design, they hide the height good.

I don’t like the casing and the lugs of the Globemaster but thanks for your suggestion.

12. ClaudeR Jul 4, 2020

I have a Seamaster 300 1957 at just slightly above your budget, it is a great watch and certainly unique and a daily wearer. However if the 39 PO is too small for you the 1957 will definitely be too small for you!
    I’d say if you want an omega, and a diver, the 300MC is going to be your best value watch

However as per your post, the AT really jumped out at (the only one to elicit a non-rational response), so my feeling is, buy that one! You will keep thinking “if only I’d bought the AT” all the time later if you buy a rational watch

Edited Jul 4, 2020
  13. time flies Jul 4, 2020

I'm thinking you should revisit the aqua terra. My 41.5 in blue. 20200511_154401.jpg
    have fun
    kfw

83n likes this.
  14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 4, 2020

Duracuir1, 83n and time flies like this.
  15. pongster Jul 4, 2020

Wont going PM (even TT) go against reasons why you sold the GMT2 to begin with?

among choices, i would go for AT.

janice&fred likes this.
  16. 83n Jul 4, 2020

That last generation is so nice. Really beautiful!

Sorry but what do PM and TT stand for?

Ah I see, precious metal and Titan.

17. Drb477 Jul 4, 2020

Older POs come in 42mm.

83n likes this.
  18. pongster Jul 4, 2020

Precious Metal and Two-Tone

83n likes this.
  19. Donn Chambers Jul 4, 2020

Based on the watches you have and the ones you expressed interest in, I vote for the Seamaster 300 MC. I know you haven’t had the chance to see one, but try to before you make your decision. As others said, if you don’t think the 39mm PO is too thick, you won’t feel the 300MC is any thicker (the difference is less than 1 mm. It also has a slightly larger case and the bracelet has a nice micro-adjust feature. It also looks amazing on straps, which is how I primarily wear mine.

My rationale: you already have two amazing Speedmasters, so don’t need another. The TAG is a nice looking time-only watch. You need a diver. :)

thelinendial and 83n like this.
  20. 83n Jul 4, 2020

Yeah I know but I just think that the new models are just a bit more refined.

Thanks! Yeah I need a diver! I am very curious about the SM MC. I have a day of on Wednesday. Maybe I get the chance to visit another AD and try it out.

That being said, after a whole day of research I lean towards the Black Bay 58 (I really like the gold on it, but I would have to find another strap, maybe a nice rubber) and die pre 2018 SMPc (nice size and less sporty than the current one).