Forums Latest Members

Plans For Your Collection in 2019?

1. Nathan1967 Jan 7, 2019

I’d really like to pair things down from where they are now, 14 or so to 5-7 over course of the year.
    I’d like to keep the watches that really resonate with me - for emotional or aesthetic reasons. Sell the Watches that don’t and try and find one or two replacements that really make my heart/soul sing. The plan is to then have a core ”collection” that all compete equally for wrist time. Pick me....Pick me...No, Pick me (Who am I kidding).
    I’d like to acquire a Vintage Tudor Sub or Seamaster 300 and favour honest character over condition, so that I can wear without fear. But I’m sure i’ll be swayed from those goals by the delectable treats on offer here in Private Sales - so who knows how things might progress, but then the journey is a lot of the fun for me.
    Have a great year everyone.

Great post @Davidt!

2. Woops Jan 7, 2019

Like every year, I shall keep any eye out for longstanding grails at off-market prices and no doubt be disappointed when the internet wins, again. A Patek 2526 and UG Nina Compax with ‘Pulsations’ bezel are very near the top of that list.

I’ll make a half-baked consolidation pledge too. I have two Polerouters to begrudgingly move along and will look to do so once I hit the magic 200 posts here.

A final broader aim is to knuckle down and acquire some kind of working knowledge of Rolex. I’ve never followed Rolex at all because the flagship references don’t remotely appeal to me and perhaps some reverse snobbery was in play too. These are two bad reasons to stay ignorant in 2019.

Njnjcfp88 and Deafboy like this.
  3. Gasman Jan 7, 2019

I consolidated in 2018 now got 3 x Omega 3 x Rolex 3 x Tudor Promised myself in future 1 in 1 out, will see if I can keep to it.

4. Mitka Jan 7, 2019

Not to buy any more watches and save my marriage:whistling:

Njnjcfp88, BenBagbag, Larry S and 3 others like this.
  5. Artx Jan 7, 2019

I was able to pick up this GMT recently cheaper than market. Been one of my favs since I got it and it's a 16750
    I was able to pick up this 16750 recently and it is one of my favs. Seemed to be priced under market. I am a big fan of plexi

20180825_150812.jpg
    Larry S and bags1971 like this.
  6. MrJKLFoams Jan 8, 2019

For me 2018 is really great and unexpected after I sold all my 16 watches from micro brand and entry level Tag Heuer carrera’s due to change of taste. Im really proud of my self to build again from ground up using the funds that I gathered from selling all my collection. Now its down to 5 (omega moonwatch, omega moonphase metas, rolex 114060, 116622 and 116710) collection that I can really enjoy and rotate. Hope 2019 will be good and Im looking to add another function rather than similar piece. IWC perpetual calendar or the JLC ultra thin Pc. We’ll see.

Larry S likes this.
  7. speedamatuer Jan 8, 2019

2018 started off with a lot of watches coming in and ended with a lot going out, I plan to sell a couple more and get the collection down to bare bones early in the year and then slowly get a couple more decent pieces in. 2017 was the year of "buy something in poor condition and fix it up, 2018 was 50/50, 2019 will be the year of condition condition condition... Or I'll ignore that and go back to what I usually do!

Worryingly the pieces I've been thinking would be on the list are popular here, so I reckon I'll have some competition! Probably a 90s Polar Exp 2 and another Seamaster 300.

8. Waltesefalcon Jan 8, 2019

Consolidation.

Taddyangle and Larry S like this.
  9. mikekchc Jan 8, 2019

I think we are so similar!

I've also been on this forum for around a year and around the same time as when I acquired my first watch!

This year, I have added the following to my collection:

1. Longines Column Wheel Chrono Monopusher
    2. Longines Legend Diver
    3. Hamilton Khaki Day Date
    4. Omega Railmaster 60th Anniversary
    5. Hamilton Intramatic '68
    6. Omega Constellation Globemaster
    7. Rolex Explorer 216570
    8. Omega Speedmaster 60th Anniversary
    9. Timex Marlin Snoopy Edition
    10. Hodinkee X Swatch Sistem 51
    11. Halios Seaforth III

Oh my... I can't believe I bought 10 watches this year...

My goal this year is to sell watches 1, 2, 11 and maybe 4 and 6

I'd love to add an IWC Portugeiser, IWC Pilot Mark XVIII or a Rolex 116400 oh and a Tudor BB36 oh and a GS Snowflake

Let's see what happens.

amiriqbal, khanmu and Larry S like this.
  10. superfly Jan 9, 2019

I can't believe no one wants to acquire the "millionaire's tourbillon" on Kickstarter (or whatever) for $1,000.

;)

Anyway, I'm doing this:

1. Sending in my Rolex Submariner for its first service (after 15 years of ownership, but probably 4 years of regular wearing; did I wait too long?)

2. Thinking about a Grand Seiko or an Omega Seamaster (maybe the newest ETNZ, which I really like) to add as one of the "nice" watches that I will pass down to my four kids. This, along with the Rolex, an Omega Speedmaster Moonphase, and Omega ST2 Ultraman, would comprise the collection of four "nice" watches to be passed along, one to each kid. (Of course, they'll get all my other less valuable watches, too.)

3. Considering buying a display cabinet for my 30+ watches so they don't just sit in a drawer. Glass shelves. Lighted. So I can enjoy looking at my watches even when I'm not wearing them. I almost bought one this past weekend, but want to consider more options. (I have no interest in hiding any watches in a safe. I've insured the expensive ones.)

We shall see...

11. NickC Jan 9, 2019

I've been thinking hard about what I do with my collection. I moved out of London last year to the middle of the countryside and I've found that what I wear has changed a bit. I don't dress up for work everyday for example so my watch doesn't need to either.
    My collection currently is:

1) AirKing 14000
    2) 116519 Daytona
    3) 116523 Daytona
    4) 1680 Sub
    5) Planet Ocean Seamaster
    6) Speedy Apollo 11 35th
    7) 16030 Datejust
    8) Cartier Tank Americaine
    9) GShock M5610

For sentimental reasons, 1 & 7 will never be sold.
    For love of wearing reasons 2, 5 & 6 will never be sold.
    9 is a beater that I can do anything in.

That means 3, 4 & 8 are changeable of which 4, I think, is a keeper. It's a birth year and I know it will be hard to find one like it in years to come.
    That means 3 & 8 can be used to trade for others.

I would like, eventually, to try and get the following:

JLC Tribute to Deep Sea (US edition)
    Grand Seiko Snowflake
    JLC Master Control Sector Dial
    Apollo 11 50th Speedy.

Let's see what 2019 is able to achieve!

mikekchc, Larry S and Taddyangle like this.
  12. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Jan 9, 2019

I've been having crazy thoughts again this past couple of nights about scaling back to just two watches. Namely my gold Omega F300 and CWC G10.

I think I could do it and be pretty content, but I'm not going to rush into such an idea.

Larry S likes this.
  13. Professor Jan 9, 2019

My plan as well.
    Most of the watches I've bought since joining this board are low end but with interesting movements. These I plan to put in running condition myself but the nicer watches I'll be sending to a professional for proper service and/or repair.
    Several medium quality specimens I picked up for a song have responded well to my crude efforts and are now reliable and reasonably accurate everyday wear watches. My best effort so far is the Pobeda that now is accurate to within 5 seconds per 7 days. less than a second per day for a circa 50 year old Soviet made watch is doing pretty good I think.
    I'm more interested in learning the mechanics and history than in the watches themselves.

PS
    That now hound of the Baskervilles sized puppy I rescued has now done enough damage to my old fences that I'll be spending the price of a fine Omega just on fence panels this summer, not counting labor. Not much in the budget for any of my hobbies till I repair the fences and replace some siding then re paint the house.
    Got enough projects on the back burner to keep me occupied for at least a year anyway.

Edited Jan 9, 2019
    Taddyangle likes this.
  14. SpeedySKH Jan 9, 2019

Hi,

Forgive me if I'm in the wrong place but I'm currently in the process of buying my first omega but i cannot seem to decide between the Omega Speedmaster Professional and the First Watch in Space model. I love the look of them both and literally can't decide, any advice would be much appreciated :)

15. Lovewatches2 Jan 10, 2019

Nice collections! How about 9., I'll buy it if you're selling!
    My daughter would be very happy!

Otterina and mikekchc like this.
  16. FREDMAYCOIN Jan 10, 2019

Flip a coin.

17. Lovewatches2 Jan 10, 2019

If funds permit, buy them both, problem solved! ;)

Taddyangle likes this.
  18. Njnjcfp88 Jan 10, 2019

Started 2018 with two watches. Bought 20 watches during the year. 20!!
    Bitten very hard by the bug. 3/4 of collection vintage... Rotate every one ... even if it means wearing 2 different watches a day. Bought new straps: calfskin, reindeer, lizard, shark ... crazy. Gave a few watches away as gifts. So I’m at 18... but I find myself always reading and thinking and wondering.... what am I missing? What would be unique? Enamel dial? Tritium tube..ala Ball ? ETA or in-house. Blah blah etc... financially I’ve been blessed to do this, I work hard, built my own company. Not using funds I can’t afford...But... it’s getting a bit OCD now. So I think I need an intervention soon. Unless you have a watch I should look at of course.

omegaswisst, Larry S and Taddyangle like this.
  19. pongster Jan 11, 2019

2018 was a great year for me. Got 97 watches. Gifted two. Sold two. So net of 93 for the year. Total of 150 all in all.

For 2019, i have resolved to go back to one watch per year. So that watch, the chosen one must be really special. Nothing whimsical.

And for 2019, the anointed one is a VC overseas. To complete a sports trinity.

Hopefully successful with my plans for the year.

illcommunication and Njnjcfp88 like this.
  20. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 11, 2019

:eek: 93!!!!!!!::facepalm1::::psy::

MCC, Dan S and lustrousaurus like this.