Forums Latest Members

FOUND -ish, the worst functioning Speedmaster Professional (moonwatch) in your collection

1. perks713 Aug 19, 2021

Edit: updated, I stumbled on a FOIS that fit nicely with what I was looking for. Thanks to those who reached out with helpful tips and ideas on where to search. Very much appreciated!

Original Post:
    Simply put I can't afford to shell out big money on a Speedy right now but I have a strong desire to own one. So instead of hoping I stumble on something at an estate sale or flee market, I'm curious if any members have a spare Speedy laying around that they might want to part with.

It's okay if the watch has lived a hard life, all bumps and bruises will be considered :)

Preferences/Must Haves:
    Running - I'd prefer not to service the watch in the next 3 years though I understand that no one can guarantee that
    Little to no polishing of the case - I'd prefer a case with original lines and brushing but if it's been cleaned up a little it may not be a deal breaker
    As original as possible - service hands/dial/crown/pushers/bezel are okay as long as they're appropriate for the watch
    70's/80's/early 90's would probably be my preference but beggars can't be choosers

I'm based in the US so shipping and customs fees may play into any decisions made.

I know this is a strange WTB thread, and I know the recommendation is usually to save and spend money on the best watch you can afford but I'm hoping someone might have something they're willing to part with that I won't have to pay top dollar for.

Edited Nov 18, 2021
    Duracuir1 likes this.
  2. perks713 Sep 20, 2021

In the last 2 months or so I've watched:
    - The Right Stuff
    - Apollo 11 (CNN)
    - First Man
    - Apollo 13
    - From Earth To The Moon (HBO)
    - For All Man Kind (apple)

I'd like to re-watch these while wearing a moonwatch....

MtV and Heavytrevy like this.
  3. Canuck Sep 20, 2021

You want to buy the “worst functioning Speedmaster Moonwatch” from someone’s collection. The idea being that someone will give you a “deal” on it. And you say that you “prefer not to service the watch for three years”. And that you want to have a Speedmaster to wear when you watch your favourite space movies, I am not able to help you, but I shall be watching this thread with great interest to see what comes of your request. Best of luck!

4. Scooterino36 Sep 20, 2021

Just a thought, but you may save on all-in costs if you find someone with a speedy needing service. Seems more likely you will get a better deal on something if you are removing someone’s headache.

good luck!

perks713 likes this.
  5. perks713 Sep 20, 2021

@Canuck It's certainly an out of the box approach I know. It's not that I'm looking for "a good deal" it's more that I'm looking for a watch that fits my budget that others may not think is good enough to sell on these forums. I'm sure there are members here with a few Speedmasters collecting dust, sitting around thinking to themselves, not really Omega Forums material, I'll just post it on FB Marketplace or Ebay.

@Scooterino36 A valid point!

6. rcs914 Sep 20, 2021

Your best bet is going to be scouring ebay religiously, and getting creative with how you do your search. That being said, there are still no actual bargains to be had these days with a Speedy Pro, unless you get VERY lucky and find someone posting a Buy it Now that has no idea what they have. These typically are gone within minutes or seconds of posting, and then you have to hope that the seller doesn't get wise and research the watch before they ship it out and declare that they "lost" it.

Even a basket case of a watch has a lot of value as parts, which is why finding a serviced but rough speedy for a bargain isn't likely to happen.

To give you some ballpark, I bought my -76 for $2075 in 2016, and that was a STEAL, even though it needed a $700 service, plus $100 shipping to and from Canada. In retrospect though, I REALLY should have gotten one of the Speedy TinTin off of Jomashop for $2900.

Just out of curiosity, what is your budget?

Foo2rama likes this.
  7. Evitzee Sep 20, 2021

Bingo! If @perks713 budget is $1,500 or $2,000 he isn't likely to be successful here. If it's $3,500-$4,000 he might be better positioned, no one is going to give a Speedmaster away, we know what the values are.

8. ckhaing Sep 20, 2021

at that time i thought that tintin was too expensive, because i got 3570.50 from costco for $2,500

9. perks713 Sep 20, 2021

No one is asking anyone to give anything away. Thanks.

10. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Sep 20, 2021

‘91 Omega Speedmaster 145.022 ST. Not running. Main spring has sprung. Needs service and it will be back in top shape.
    $6,000 and it is yours.

Original bought from HQMilton. Type in A1247 in the search function on HQMilton and you can see the professional description.

11. Evitzee Sep 20, 2021

Really? Reread your initial post, my distinct impression is you are looking for a good deal from an OF member who has a spare one or two laying around who is willing to let it go at a bargain (below market) price to another OF member. Maybe I'm misreading your original post. In any event a budget range for said Speedy would be helpful.

Foo2rama likes this.
  12. perks713 Sep 20, 2021

@Evitzee I have re-read my initial post several times since posting it a month ago. I'm sorry if you feel like I'm looking for someone to hand me a watch but that's not the case.

I'm not necessarily looking for someone's prime example of a Speedmaster. Something that's been beat up over the years might be fine. I am looking for something that would be original-ish, meaning period correct service parts are fine.

I'm not looking to pay top dollar because I'm not looking for the watch that's been tucked away in someone's safe for 25 years.

I also mentioned in a follow up post that I'm sure plenty of members sell watches on sites other than Omega Forums. This site tends to have the best of the best listed, so I put out a WTB hoping that someone looking to sell a well loved Speedmaster might see it and reach out before heading to Ebay or FB or Reddit or any of the other places people sell things.

As to my budget, that number will change over time. Some times higher some times lower, you never know what life will throw at you.

13. Walrus Sep 20, 2021

I don’t see anything wrong with this approach I find it commendable. I’m looking for an extra lightly used fifty fathoms no radiation LE. My budget is 2.50. Full set please. Thanks.

blubarb, Eve, pdxleaf and 1 other person like this.
  14. perks713 Sep 20, 2021

I’ll keep an eye out if I ever get back to Canal Street ;)

Walrus likes this.
  15. ckhaing Sep 20, 2021

actually someone got my 3570.50 for $0.00 back in 2014, that is the fact

(lost somehow during the relocation, within a small safe)

Heavytrevy likes this.
  16. Risto Sep 21, 2021

I made WTB 145.022 listing many months ago on this forum. I have received 2 offers for transitional models (not low offers). And not a single offer for 145.022 69-71.

17. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Oct 7, 2021

18. Evitzee Oct 7, 2021

JwRosenthal and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  19. JwRosenthal Oct 7, 2021

^^ about as good as it gets for the money. And fully serviced which saves you $800 right there. We only get a handful of sub $4k speedys a year, it’s nice to see them when they pop up- still attainable.

perks713 and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  20. JwRosenthal Oct 7, 2021

@perks713 - I see the logic in your approach. I remember seeing a member here not long ago post a speedy that had service hands and dial, wrong pushers, movement was from a different era- basically a put-together speedy, but it was attractive and they sold it honestly described and cheaply (under $3k if I recall, basically the sum of the parts). If that is an appealing approach to getting into a speedy, then perhaps there are of some of those lingering in peoples collections.

kip595 and perks713 like this.