Forums Latest Members

Pease Help Me... Out Of This Allure

1. Pun Jun 8, 2021

I couldn't find any discussion on this Omega De Ville watch 7710.30.39 here. It's sitting inside my OB drawer for last 8 years and now they have offered me this at 40% less than current retail price of $11000.

Since it's very uncommon Omega, I am inclined towards it. Please share your opinion/feedback about this watch and movement cal. 2610.

I would also appreciate if appropriate link is shared with me so that I'd go there for information. Regards

Screenshot_2021_0609_091118.jpg
    Alfista88 likes this.
  2. chadeaux Jun 8, 2021

Wow they kept in a drawer a “new” De Ville for what... 14 years!?
    I thought the OB would return references they couldn’t place after a few years.
    It’s an interesting piece, and in white gold. The dial reminds me of the new Santos.
    I don’t think there is much request for this reference, but if you like it and they give you a strong discount, why not!
    You will definitely have a piece that is quite singular.

Are they getting the watch serviced before selling it to you?

Pun likes this.
  3. Pun Jun 9, 2021

I don't know about the service part. It's a AD owned OB, not brand owned. I fear giving for service as I've bad experience with their own service center. This watch, at present price, must have seen more than few price hikes. I'm trying to negotiate with them for a good discount as they might have been invoiced at much lesser price. They may say that their money was also stuck up for long.
    My concern is about the movement 2601 that's perhaps 2500 C or D or a later series. And what what normally we get discount on such items, at present Omega price or would they consider their purchase price...

Darlinboy likes this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 9, 2021

The movement in this watch is a Cal. 2201, as there is no calendar function.

If you can tell me the serial number, I an see if the Extranet specifies the version of the 2201 that is in that specific watch.

Cheers, Al

Pun and WhiteThorn like this.
  5. Donn Chambers Jun 9, 2021

I know the case on this watch is white gold, so 40% off is pretty attractive. That’s the only thing I find attractive about the watch, though. If I wanted a squarish watch with Roman numerals on the dial, I’d buy the original, a Cartier Santos. A brand new one in steel would be about the same price, would have a higher resale value, and IMO be a better watch.

Pun likes this.
  6. SkunkPrince Jun 9, 2021

Not sure I'm following. The Omega is white gold and coaxial. The Cartier is steel and conventional lever. What makes the Cartier a better watch other than you like it better?

Pun likes this.
  7. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jun 9, 2021

After such a long stay in a display counter, does it need to be serviced?

8. SkunkPrince Jun 9, 2021

Possibly. I would not wear it without a watchmaker's inspection to judge the quality of the oil.

DaveK likes this.
  9. PandaSPUR Jun 9, 2021

Does the "X2" bother anyone else? Its bugging me a looooot.

TimeODanaos and Alfista88 like this.
  10. SkunkPrince Jun 9, 2021

It's not my favorite. I would have preferred XII.

11. PandaSPUR Jun 9, 2021

Agreed, either XII or no numeral at all (and put the Omega logo there instead).

12. SkunkPrince Jun 9, 2021

I like the way you think!

13. Donn Chambers Jun 9, 2021

Never said it was better. Just said if I had money to spend and I wanted a square watch with Roman numerals, I wouldn’t be thinking Omega - I’d think Cartier. If you want gold, that’s one reason to get the Omega (only at a a discount, though). But since white gold looks like steel from a distance, what’s really the point, other than a preconception that gold is more “luxurious”? I guess you can sell the material for scrap gold if you need at some point, but you’d only get a fraction of the surcharge you spent on it being in a gold watch.

The co-axial movement is good, but is it “better” than a well-made lever escapement? Many would argue no.

Buy what you want, of course, but you asked to be talked out of the allure. I merely presented an equally alluring (or more) watch as an option.

Pun likes this.
  14. Pun Jun 9, 2021

I agree, sir, with your submissions and appreciate your contribution to the topic. I happen to own a two-tone Santos watch as well. Your post has forced me rethink about Omega, even if its available at a good discount.

16232585681114265616797638062651.jpg
  15. Paedipod Jun 9, 2021

I had the ss version for a while. Very chunky. And as much as I was trying, CBBB0701-9B8D-418C-B5FB-06BF03EEDDD9.jpeg the faux Romans eventually made me sell the watch. Whole other painful story there

16. timoss Jun 9, 2021

To me that dial has a fashion watch vibe.

DaveK and TimeODanaos like this.
  17. TimeODanaos Jun 9, 2021

Time to call it out - the OP watch dial comes from the Manhattan bezel school of design - not radical, not refreshingly different, just wrong!

Edited Jun 9, 2021
    Pun likes this.
  18. Evitzee Jun 9, 2021

If you saw this watch on OF for sale at, say, $5,500 in stunning mint condition that was sold by an AD in July 2018, which means you still have an Omega warranty for another two years, would you be interested? I doubt it. It's a nice watch but unless the style really sings to you I'd be looking for a lot better discount than 40%. I've been in these situations before, the siren song of a huge discount which still leaves you underwater if you ever want to sell it on the open market. Easy pass for me.

akshayluc420, Pun and Donn Chambers like this.
  19. Donn Chambers Jun 9, 2021

this picture along with the one of the Santos above confirms my opinion. I really don’t like that Omega!

Pun likes this.
  20. Donn Chambers Jun 9, 2021

with that lovely watch, why are you even considering the Omega? ;)

Pun likes this.