Over polished speedmaster

Hi

I’ve been reading some past posts on how to tell if the case has been over polished. There have been comments about the lugs and how the polished element on lugs should be flat. I’ve looked at a number of cases and although it looks flat, the reflections in the mirror finish do distort a little where the mirror finish meets the brushed part of the lug.

So any helpful tips how to tell an over polished vs a well polished/ untouched case would be useful.

Thanks

TBH, there's no single way. You need to look at all the all parts of the case, because different cases are polished differently. One thing to look for on a lyre-lug Speedy Pro case is a sharp edge between the brushed and polished surfaces on the side of the lugs. It takes practice.

TBH, there's no single way. You need to look at all the all parts of the case, because different cases are polished differently. One thing to look for on a lyre-lug Speedy Pro case is a sharp edge between the brushed and polished surfaces on the side of the lugs. It takes practice.
Ok. When you say side, you mean the side profile of the case rather than top of the lug where it also meets a brushed element.

Hi

I’ve been reading some past posts on how to tell if the case has been over polished. There have been comments about the lugs and how the polished element on lugs should be flat. I’ve looked at a number of cases and although it looks flat, the reflections in the mirror finish do distort a little where the mirror finish meets the brushed part of the lug.

So any helpful tips how to tell an over polished vs a well polished/ untouched case would be useful.

Thanks

Check out Speedmaster101 on YouTube (aka our very own OF member Spacefruit). He has posted a number of helpful videos that demonstrate the differences between good and bad examples of vintage Speedmasters.

Ok. When you say side, you mean the side profile of the case rather than top of the lug where it also meets a brushed element.

I think there is only one edge where the polished surface of a lug meets the brushed surface on the side of the case. Just look at a lot of cases and study. Eventually you will get the hang of it.

Thanks everyone. Saw the vids on YouTube. It is indeed really about sharpness of edges. Although I’m looking at a more modern one, I assume the same still applies.

Thanks everyone. Saw the vids on YouTube. It is indeed really about sharpness of edges. Although I’m looking at a more modern one, I assume the same still applies.
Case over-polishing is one of these- once you see it you can’t unsee it- situations. Some companies have softer lines than others- Seiko was known for fairly soft lines on some of their cases and slightly blobby transitions- Omega wasn’t except for a few models in the 70’s that had intentionally soft transitions.

An example of a mk4.5 with borrowed images from the web

Over polished

Factory refinished case (correct lines)

Here is an over polished Speedy 145.022 -69. Image from @Aludic
Edit to add: this is obviously an extreme cheeky example.

Here are examples of an unpolished cases. Images from @ndgal

Those last three images can be found on this well written blog post, which is another resource you can use to familiarize yourself with case lines. Spotting the polished case become easier in time 👍
https://www.chronoholic.com/post/the-omega-speedmaster-professional-a-case-study
Edited:

definitely recommend Speedmaster101's stuff!

thanks for sharing the Chronoholic post, hadn't seen that one previously

Here is an over polished Speedy 145.022 -69. Image from @Aludic
Edit to add: this is obviously an extreme cheeky example.

Here are examples of an unpolished cases. Images from @ndgal

Those last three images can be found on this well written blog post, which is another resource you can use to familiarize yourself with case lines. Spotting the polished case become easier in time 👍
https://www.chronoholic.com/post/the-omega-speedmaster-professional-a-case-study
Seeing them all stacked like that you really can see the minute changes in the cases- so subtle that I wouldn’t know from one to the next, but stacked like that you totally get it.

Hi

Thanks

One way to tell if a case has been over-polished is to look for rounded edges or corners. When a case has been polished too much, the sharp edges of the case can become rounded, giving it a less defined look. Additionally, you can examine the overall shape of the case to see if it appears to be uneven or distorted.

Another way to check if the case has been over-polished is to examine the lugs closely. While there may be a slight distortion in the reflection, an over-polished case will often have lugs that are excessively rounded or have lost their original sharpness. The lugs may also appear shorter or thinner than they should be if they have been over-polished.

Lastly, you can also look for signs of wear and tear that are inconsistent with the age of the watch. For example, if the case is from the 1950s but appears to have been polished many times, it may indicate that the case has been over-polished.

Overall, the key is to look for signs of excessive wear or damage that cannot be explained by normal use or aging. If you are unsure, it may be best to take the watch to a professional watchmaker or appraiser who can provide an expert opinion.

This is all great info. I wonder if there is anything for post 80’s speedies up to current models.

One way to tell if a case has been over-polished is to look for rounded edges or corners. When a case has been polished too much, the sharp edges of the case can become rounded, giving it a less defined look. Additionally, you can examine the overall shape of the case to see if it appears to be uneven or distorted.

Another way to check if the case has been over-polished is to examine the lugs closely. While there may be a slight distortion in the reflection, an over-polished case will often have lugs that are excessively rounded or have lost their original sharpness. The lugs may also appear shorter or thinner than they should be if they have been over-polished.

Lastly, you can also look for signs of wear and tear that are inconsistent with the age of the watch. For example, if the case is from the 1950s but appears to have been polished many times, it may indicate that the case has been over-polished.

Overall, the key is to look for signs of excessive wear or damage that cannot be explained by normal use or aging. If you are unsure, it may be best to take the watch to a professional watchmaker or appraiser who can provide an expert opinion.

This sounds very ChatGPT to me.

ChatGPT answer:

Over-polishing a watch case can result in several telltale signs that it has been polished excessively. Here are a few indicators that can suggest a watch case has been over-polished:

1. Reduced sharpness of edges and angles: While a polished watch case will typically have smoother edges and angles, an over-polished watch case may lose the sharpness of its original edges and angles altogether. The corners may appear more rounded than they should be.
  2. Loss of definition and rounding of details: Over-polishing can lead to a loss of definition in engravings, logos, and serial numbers, which can become blurry or completely polished out. Moreover, over-polishing can lead to a rounding of the edges of these details, which can make them appear less distinct than they should be.
  3. Reduced thickness: Over-polishing can gradually remove small amounts of material from the watch case, which can result in a reduction in the thickness of the case. This can cause problems with the fit of the movement or the crown stem, which can have a negative impact on the watch's accuracy and functionality.
  4. Unevenness of finish: If the polishing has been done unevenly, this can lead to an inconsistent finish on the watch case. This can make the case appear patchy or uneven, and it may be more apparent in certain lighting conditions.
In general, over-polishing can detract from the overall appearance and value of a watch. For this reason, it is often recommended to have watches polished conservatively and only when necessary, by a skilled and experienced professional.

That could explain his other post.

That could explain his other post.

Oh, that's hilarious, I hadn't seen that one. "The dot is significant because it indicates the transition point from the black to the orange section of the bezel, which was used for timing purposes." 🤨

I guess the AI isn't quite so hard to suss out after all. I wonder if it is a real member using a chat-bot, or an actual bot. @dsio would know probably.

Oh, that's hilarious, I hadn't seen that one. "The dot is significant because it indicates the transition point from the black to the orange section of the bezel, which was used for timing purposes." 🤨

I guess the AI isn't quite so hard to suss out after all. I wonder if it is a real member using a chat-bot, or an actual bot. @dsio would know probably.
I believe they call it a hallucination. I thought I was hallucinating while reading that post.

I’m also assuming that no matter how much you use a cotton or microfibre cloth to shine up the lugs, this should not impact the sharpness. I.e. I mean no polishing abrasive. Just plain cloth only.