On Watch boxes (storage)

I want to shamelessly show off the old machinist tool boxes that I amateurishly fix up and use for watch/parts/tools storage. I try to grab them when I'm at the swap meet when they're cheap and tired. The before photos of these things really show the transformations.

Just finished this one this week - 1920's Gerstner. Broke it down and built it back up. New Tolex leatherette, nickel plated all the hardware, wool felt for the drawers:

(Before) Sorry for angled shot:

Unknown-9.jpeg

After:

Unknown-7.jpeg
Unknown-5.jpeg Unknown-6.jpeg

Then this is the second most recent - Late 1910's Union box. Just cleaned and new felt. Quarter sawn oak is always so beautiful -

Unknown-3.jpeg Unknown-4.jpeg

And finally this unknown brand dental chest. Modified slightly (removed the tool trays) new leatherette, nickel plated hardware, new felt. Sold this to a fellow in Singapore right after I finished. I have another that I'm going to do the same to -

(Before):

Unknown-8.jpeg

After:

Unknown-1.jpeg Unknown.jpeg Unknown-2.jpeg
Great work. What an amazing change of color. Now look as new. Work with old wood is now as easy as it looks

You don't need to keep more than 1-2 watches on the winder at a time, and maybe keep an open spot for your current watch rotation at night if you don't like to sleep with it on.

I used to keep 17 watches in winders running all the time, and then I figured out that was just plain silly! For the past few years I just keep a couple out that are in my rotation for the week, in one of my Wolf dual-watch winders or on my wrist.

The rest are stored in nice watch boxes inside the safe. I have many of my watches organized into two nice quality 10-watch glass-lidded cases. Although most of the Omega watches in the safe are now in those small red Omega service case (like a sunglass case with zipper). I put a sticky note on each case with which watch it contains.

Others like my Rolex are stored in a nice 6-watch case. Some others, like my Tudor GMT, DOXA Poseidon, or Grand Seiko are in those little clamshell zipper watch-cases that you can buy on Amazon. My Seiko Turtles are in a 4-watch Pelican case from Case Club, but I plan to move the Rolex into the Pelican if I pick up a 4th one (Deep Blue).

Outside of the safe are also my solar watches, in a pair of nice quality 6-watch glass-lid boxes near the window. My three 1-watch Wolf are empty, as is my nice 2-watch Eilux winder, but I'll save them in the event one of my favorite winders should die. But my inexpensive 2-watch Egard winder and my three 2-watch Amazon winders will go to my brother and my son when they need one.

Here is a picture from yesterday of one of the 10-watch boxes (not sure exactly where they came from). Before I ended up with over a dozen red Omega service cases I had my Omega's in this box, and it all fits nicely in my large safe.

RenderedImage.jpeg

Below is a picture from 3 years ago, so things have changed a bit. The quality brown wooden box in the middle of the picture is very similar to the two 6-watch glass lid boxes that now hold my solar watches.
IMG_3316.jpeg

Found an old picture of my silly winder setup, before I emptied them out to keep them in the safe. Two Wolf dual winders on top, and three single watch Wolf winders in the middle. Bottom right is a nice Eilux dual watch winder. The rest are cheap ones.
IMG_1587.jpeg
IMG_1583.jpeg

When I grow up I want to be Larry’s long lost son

I want to shamelessly show off the old machinist tool boxes that I amateurishly fix up and use for watch/parts/tools storage. I try to grab them when I'm at the swap meet when they're cheap and tired. The before photos of these things really show the transformations.

Just finished this one this week - 1920's Gerstner. Broke it down and built it back up. New Tolex leatherette, nickel plated all the hardware, wool felt for the drawers:

Unknown-9.jpeg

After:

Unknown-7.jpeg

Then this is the second most recent - Late 1910's Union box. Just cleaned and new felt. Quarter sawn oak is always so beautiful -

And finally this unknown brand dental chest. Modified slightly (removed the tool trays) new leatherette, nickel plated hardware, new felt. Sold this to a fellow in Singapore right after I finished. I have another that I'm going to do the same to -

(Before):

Unknown-8.jpeg

After:

Very nice

okay so it doesn't work well with wrist watches...... but it was an excuse to post it.

a gift from my lovely wife.

P1000279.JPG
P1000280.JPG
Nifty idea

Hi guys,
I am thinking of asking MrsCanberra for a funky watch box for my birthday. Not a mass produced one, but more of an artistic one, like
man-jewelry-watch-box.jpg
Or
il_570xN.569418535_hca7.jpg
Or
63383.189408.jpg

Do you have any cool artistic watch boxes?
There's a great brand called Juvo that do some great contemporary boxes

Hi everyone- I found this thread recently and there are some great posts that’s I’ve skimmed through...

I am after a wall mounted display case for anywhere between 6 to 12 watches....

Anyone have any recommendations?

Photos for inspiration...

I've been debating which route to go on a box? WOLF, a Legendary Moonwatch box to convert... a nice decision to make during these times of home living...

I have ended up hitting the button on the Watch Box 10 from www.lifeofrileyonline.co.uk (please remove if links are not appropriate).

Currently it's in a sale with an additional 15% off using SPRING15 so ~£170, not the cheapest nor a dizzy price tag and its just slightly different to other options out there...

I don't plan to own more than 10 pieces (don't quote me in umpteen years) so should be a nice box with a draw for cufflinks as well as a limited # of straps, bracelets or natos.

I've been debating which route to go on a box? WOLF, a Legendary Moonwatch box to convert... a nice decision to make during these times of home living...

I have ended up hitting the button on the Watch Box 10 from www.lifeofrileyonline.co.uk (please remove if links are not appropriate).

Currently it's in a sale with an additional 15% off using SPRING15 so ~£170, not the cheapest nor a dizzy price tag and its just slightly different to other options out there...

I don't plan to own more than 10 pieces (don't quote me in umpteen years) so should be a nice box with a draw for cufflinks as well as a limited # of straps, bracelets or natos.

I like the look, don't know the company or how well it's built. I always worry about a nice watch-box attracting the attention of someone who breaks in and is looking for an arrow pointing at the expensive goods to snatch. This will let them grab all 10 watches in one fell swoop and bolt out the window with them.

My motto is "rocks and socks". i.e. put rocks in the watch box and watches in the socks drawer, and you should be safe.

Unknown-9.jpeg

After:

Unknown-7.jpeg

(Before):

Unknown-8.jpeg

After:

What a brilliant idea! I see those boxes all the time but they are much too small for my tools, but I love the boxes. Watch storage! Brilliant idea!

Lots of ways of storing on this thread.

From a technical perspective, is it best to store watches flat or curled? Face up or side up (and which side)? or does it not matter...

Lots of ways of storing on this thread.

From a technical perspective, is it best to store watches flat or curled? Face up or side up (and which side)? or does it not matter...
I don't think it matters to have the watch face any way but I prefer to have them curled (on leather strap) since it makes the strap form better around the wrist.

Can anybody point me in the direction of a two or three watch display box in the style of a Wolf Savoy?
Something pretty classy looking
Thanks

In the process of setting my new larger dry box up. Not pretty or even expensive but a necessity when you live in the tropics.

IMG_8093.jpeg

IMG_8091.jpeg

and the older smaller one will now become storage for straps and maybe some boxes and other spillover items.

IMG_8097.jpeg

So I'm looking for a good recommendation on a watch storage box. I have a few winders, and I would like to have this one strictly for storage. Could anyone make any recommendations on a storage box. I'm thinking about going with an aluminum glass topper, but I can't find one built to the standards I like.
Same here, particularly the cushions, they are too small most of the time. i have large wrists (20cm) and they fall of the cushions, but i like them to be snug....

In the process of setting my new larger dry box up. Not pretty or even expensive but a necessity when you live in the tropics.

IMG_8093.jpeg

IMG_8091.jpeg

and the older smaller one will now become storage for straps and maybe some boxes and other spillover items.

IMG_8097.jpeg
Sorry if this is a noob question, but is this some kind of a temperature controlled unit? I live in a very hot/ arid country and have often thought if I need some kind of temperature controlled unit. Can you please elaborate on the brand/ specs etc. regards

Sorry if this is a noob question, but is this some kind of a temperature controlled unit? I live in a very hot/ arid country and have often thought if I need some kind of temperature controlled unit. Can you please elaborate on the brand/ specs etc. regards
I did a short write up the other day. They are more for humidity control in a tropical environment but they do seem to also cool. Maybe a by product of dehumidifying.
The ones I use are Eureka brand but there are plenty to choose from.

write up post below:
https://omegaforums.net/threads/living-in-the-tropics-and-watch-collecting.114327/

Cheers