Forums Latest Members

Living in the tropics and watch collecting

1. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 25, 2020

As I guess most of you know, I live in Sai Gon, Vietnam where the weather is either hot and humid or hot, wet and humid.
    I remember reading some years ago in a post contribution by @Spacefruit relating to the damage done to some of his watches whilst in bank storage boxes in Hong Kong from the constantly changing heat and humidity and this got me thinking about my own watches. Not stored in bank vaults but at home facing similar elements.

Hopefully this will be of some use to other tropical WIS.

My solution was to purchase a Camera Dry Box which reduces the moisture content in a controlled environment down to about 25% if you wish. They are relatively inexpensive depending on the size and readily available. Cost ranges from approximately $100 to over $1,000 or more if you want to go to a big double door cabinet.

My first one was a 48 litre unit that I purchased about three years ago and has worked just fine however right from the get go was not big enough. This then forced me to decide which watches got the preferential treatment and was not ideal. I have just recently purchased a 85 litre cabinet which now means I can store all of my watches, associated parts, boxes and some tools in a controlled environment.

This is the two units I currently own and when we eventually build our new house I will be looking to incorporate a big one into the design.

DSC_2111.jpeg

Storage utilisation in the 85 litre. The trays for the watches are the bottom half of two watch carry cases that I used to use when I lived in Saudi (no concerns about humidity there:)). I knocked the pins out of the hinges so that they can easily be assembled again and they work perfect for the cabinet.

DSC_2114.jpeg

The smaller one now houses tools and boxes plus some other miscellaneous items.

DSC_2117.jpeg

2. harrymai86 May 25, 2020

I believe in the same district :) the storage unit looks very nice, mine just stays in a drawer

3. Amg786s May 27, 2020

Thanks for the write up. I’ve found the brand on-line and will be looking into acquiring one