Omega Speedmaster 2998-3 on an auction last week!

Hi Forum People!

I am trying to learn more about 2998´s, and since they don't appear so often,
it's a bit hard to compare and understand the differences.
This reference is very intriguing with many variations over the production years.
And its a completely different ballpark with these comparing to 105´s and 145´s!
The Forum has had posts with some lovely watches,
and af course there is Speedmaster101.com (thanks there @Spacefruit )!

This auction house had about 120 watches, and there were lots of nice watches (Rolex, AP, Patek etc),
and a few Omega Speedmasters.

And the one that made me interestered was the 2998-3.
And it had a lollipop chronohand!😀
With an extract (from Jan 2023).

They had a very detailed condition report and lots of pictures to download,
and after downloading everything, the fun part begins!

Or maybe not so fun?🙁

I started zooming in on the dial, and the lume plots looked really strange?
The color is to even/consistent, with dirty/moldy/old stains that dont look natural.
And the dial has lots of spots (small warts??) and blemishes...

The hour and minute hands have had work done, and possibly wrong for this reference?
Zooming in closely - the minute hand seems to be slightly curved.
The lume on the lollipop looked to clean and the color to close to the lume plots on the indices.
The subdial hands had also been worked over.

The rest of the watch was in a charming and decent condition, with a flatfoot crown, dirty pushers,
the bezel was worn and so was the case and case back.
The movement was in need for a service,
serial nr was the one on the extract and the bridge was the symmetricle one.

But since I felt that the dial and hands had been worked over, with the dial itself in a poor condition,
I didn't plan to bid on this watch.

I did follow the auction because I wanted to see what would happen with this watch.

So I had the auction going on in the background while doing some paperwork (well...not so smart maybe!),
and the auctioneer was doing his best trying to capture the audience and working them with his charm and panache.
Not like the Golden Boys at Phillips, but doing a good job!
And it seemed to work,
many of the watches where fought over with heavy bidding,
and it took some time since he paused a lot and talked with the audience.

But when it was time for the 2998-3, it got a bit strange,
just a few bids (I think 4 or 5), and then the hammer fell!
NO pauses or charming speaches.
It didnt take long and it was sold for 15120€/16200$, with the premium!
It felt like the auction house knew it had work done with the dial and hands, and they just wanted to get rid of it??
So here are the pictures (lots of them..),
and please do comment about the watch and of course my thoughts (be kind now...😗)?

Cheers!!

But when it was time for the 2998-3, it got a bit strange,
just a few bids (I think 4 or 5), and then the hammer fell!
NO pauses or charming speaches.
It didnt take long and it was sold for 15120€/16200$, with the premium!

Well, another explanation could be that the auction house didn't really respond too well to requests to raise the bid limits above 10k. In my case, it has held me back from bidding. Still a bit sad about that...

It felt like the auction house knew it had work done with the dial and hands, and they just wanted to get rid of it??
How do you mean that?

How do you mean that?
They had lots and lots of pictures that you could download (it is not so common, and you often have to ask for more detailed ones).
And many other auction houses do describe in the condition report that there had been work done, but not here...

Minute AND Hour hand must be slightly curved diagonally. How much longer than the minute track is the tip of the lollipop hand?

To me the watch looks like a bloody belter!
Do you think you were so paranoid that you created problems that didn’t really exist or am I wrong ? It wouldn’t be the first time.😁

To me the watch looks like a bloody belter!
Do you think you were so paranoid that you created problems that didn’t really exist or am I wrong ? It wouldn’t be the first time.😁

Agree. Hence my frustration with not being able to join in the bidding war…

Looks like a nice one at first glance, sub dial hands have been overpainted and perhaps whoever did it attempted to remove some corrosion from the hour/minute hands which is usually a mistake so the surfaces look a bit roughed up. Not really anything sinister.

Pushers and crown are well aged, it has some nice gunk and a grotty old bracelet so probably not assembled in Tuscany which is always a bonus 😁

Minute AND Hour hand must be slightly curved diagonally. How much longer than the minute track is the tip of the lollipop hand?
well... its really hard to see on the pictures....
and the chronohand is longer, but I can't measure...👎

Agree. Hence my frustration with not being able to join in the bidding war…
I was thinking of a flight down to handle the watch....
But you know....??
😗

Apart for the hour totalizer subdial hand which looks to have been tinkered with in the past, the watch looks 100% to me.
Great score whoever ended up buying it!

Apart for the hour totalizer subdial hand which looks to have been tinkered with in the past, the watch looks 100% to me.
Great score whoever ended up buying it!

Agreed ! That was a killer watch, at a bargain price.

@hansaboy :

Edited:

Sorry, I am a bit thick, but has this dial been relumed? Obviously tinkered with as mentioned with the subdial painted hands so it always makes me wonder. Agreed that is was a cracking price though.
I've started collecting folders of images for 2998/105.003's (120+) which have their serials stated so I can compare within case number ranges, which is helping me learn the nuances but still so much to learn!

I think neither the dial nor the hands are relumed.
This lume shape, aspect, and color is common on 2998s.

I think neither the dial nor the hands are relumed.
This lume shape, aspect, and color is common on 2998s.
Ok thanks. Could have gotten a few k more if they gave the case and bracelet a gentle clean? Or is wrist cheese like the barn find cars covered in dust?

has this dial been relumed? Obviously tinkered with as mentioned with the subdial painted hands
Does not look relumed.
Only the hour totalizer subdial hand has some white gunk in the center which suggests it might have fallen out and amateurishly fixed back into place.
The heavily scratched plexiglass (along with bad images) make the whole hand look completely distorted in some angles, but if you look closely at other images, you'd notice that the hand itself looks totally fine (except for whatever's in the center).

Thanks everybody for your comments and answers!

I have come to the conclusion that for this reference, I need to do more homework (lots..!),
and also maybe some help from more experienced Forum members.
Its a bit shameful that I missed out on this one, since it does feel legit!

Once again - thanks for your help, and have a nice and lovely weekend!

🥰🥰🥰
This makes me think that there's way too many beautiful 2998s around these days, and I didn't buy any.
It's something I need to take care of. 😁