Omega Seamaster 300 quit working - trash it?

I have an Omega Seamaster 300 automatic that I have owned for around 7-8 years. Over the past few weeks it has completely just quit working. I have tried to wind it both clock and counterclockwise, wear it for a few days, and even wear it to sleep. The second hand will move for a few second and then quit. I like the watch and only have around 1,200 in it. At this point, my frustration with it has me thinking it may be time to donate it or trash it and move on. Does anyone have any last ditch trouble shooting efforts before this thing ends up in the garbage?

Thanks!

You could send it to Omega and they can service is for $700. You could then resell it for at least double that. So better than trash, I guess.

or sell it to exelonman, who pretty much only exclusively refurbishes then resells old blue Seamaster Diver 300Ms for some reason
Edited:

Like 5
Well this is a weird post...

The watch you own is mechanical, and like any mechanical object it can work for only so much time until it needs maintenance or repair. I do not know if you bought the watch new 7-8 years ago, but now seems a good time to service it.

If you feel that the service costs are prohibitively expensive, or you don't want to spend any money on the watch, I suggest you put it up on eBay instead of "thrashing" it.

Like 1
Well this is a weird post...

The watch you own is mechanical, and like any mechanical object it can work for only so much time until it needs maintenance or repair. I do not know if you bought the watch new 7-8 years ago, but now seems a good time to service it.

If you feel that the service costs are prohibitively expensive, or you don't want to spend any money on the watch, I suggest you put it up on eBay instead of "thrashing" it.

I appreciate the info. I’m not sure what the watch value would be in its current state but eBay May be the play… I do not see it worth shelling out $650-$700 for a service call when the value is just over double that amount. It may be better to try and donate it for a write-off though.

You could send it to Omega and they can service is for $700. You could then resell it for at least double that. So better than trash, I guess.

or sell it to exelonman, who pretty much only exclusively refurbishes then resells old blue Seamaster Diver 300Ms for some reason

I have box and papers - I’ll look into dumping it on eBay. Disappointing that it only lasted 7 years before crapping out on me.

Like 1
I have box and papers - I’ll look into dumping it on eBay. Disappointing that it only lasted 7 years before crapping out on me.

Stock market: this one stock could double in one year, I think I'll buy some!

Wristwatch: it'll cost me $700 to make back 1400? Forget it.

Like 6
This watch predates the co-axial movement which means it’s lasted a lot longer than 7 years.

It could be a 2531.80 (93-05) which means it’s lasted between 19 and 31 years “before crapping out”.

Like 2
Does anyone have any last ditch trouble shooting efforts before this thing ends up in the garbage?
Yes.!
Send it to me and I will trash it for you free of charge. I'll even pay the postage

Like 13
It may be just be cranky old fart me, but........................

Screenshot 2024-05-13 at 19.17.31.png

Like 19
Either that or it’s a fake.
The watch in the photos is not fake :thumbsup:

The post on the other hand… well, that could be.

:coffee: :cautious:

Like 5
I am not trolling - if it doesn’t work it’s just a brick, imo. Waiting 26 weeks and spending $700 for a $1,500 watch seems exhausting. I may throw it up on FB yardsale or eBay ask a few hundred for it or throw it in with a trade. I would like to get a Rolex Polar or Submariner and now just might be the time to do it.

I am not trolling - if it doesn’t work it’s just a brick, imo. Waiting 26 weeks and spending $700 for a $1,500 watch seems exhausting. I may throw it up on FB yardsale or eBay ask a few hundred for it or throw it in with a trade. I would like to get a Rolex Polar or Submariner and now just might be the time to do it.
So you already have your answer. Stick it on ebay honestly as spares or repair and let the market do its worst. You'll get back your original outlay or thereabouts then can go about your business. The bit that has people scratching their heads and wondering at your motives is the suggestion that it is fit only for the trash. Do you leave your car by the roadside and buy another one when service time comes around?

Like 6
if it doesn’t work it’s just a brick, imo. Waiting 26 weeks and spending $700 for a $1,500 watch seems exhausting
Maybe OF is not for you. Most enthusiasts here are passionate about the hobby, have learnt that not everything is a quick fix and they also know that patience is a virtue. A lesson they have had to learn as part of the hobby
Most serious collectors on OF I would guess have several alternative watches (some many many more !!) to wear whilst another is being serviced and therefore see it as part of watch ownership and not "exhausting" at all.
Good luck with your watch sale and any future new purchase.
In 15-20yrs time (if you're lucky!) if you decide to throw away your Submariner of Polar rather than pay for a service please remember I call dibs :thumbsdown:

Like 7
Just take it to a good watch maker for an overdue service.......it cant be all that exhausting surely!
Oh and the way to tell if a watchmaker is anygood.....he's the one that doesn't cut keys, mend shoes and sell cigarettes from a booth in the shopping mall...... he just does watches!

Like 6
Yeah, I would just toss it. Fortunately Rolex stores are well stocked so you should be able to just pop in and walk out with a Sub or an Explorer II. They will probably run well for 10 years before you toss them in the trash too.

Like 14

Considering that watch is likely from the 90s, I assume you purchased used and it was likely not serviced by the previous seller. So it has likely been running unserviced for over 20 years. Not surprising it stopped working.

Like 4
It may be just be cranky old fart me, but........................

Screenshot 2024-05-13 at 19.17.31.png
Hopefully nobody is foolish enough to send the OP any money.

Like 6
I appreciate all the responses and critiques. I am not a watch aficionado. It appears that the watch needs some TLC or service and I personally would rather move on from it and get something new. It also appears to have value, which is great in its current state. I am not a big eBay selling person; however, I do buy on the site with decent frequency. Is there a good watch forum where people do trades? That may be my best bet in terms of offering it and cash for another watch.

All responses and advice so far are much appreciated.