Omega Seamaster 300 quit working - trash it?

Have you priced getting a replacement sun lately? And only approved watchmakers can buy them through Omega these days -- no more independent suppliers.
Look in the sky at night- they’re a dime a dozen- although some may have imploded a few million years ago and we just haven’t gotten the memo yet. Ours is due for an implosion- but only cockroaches and Rolex will live to see that.

Like 2
Look in the sky at night- they’re a dime a dozen- although some may have imploded a few million years ago and we just haven’t gotten the memo yet. Ours is due for an implosion- but only cockroaches and Rolex will live to see that.

Cockroaches : Yes. Rolex : No. Rolex is just a good marketing story. No evolution there ...

Like 2
Cockroaches : Yes. Rolex : No. Rolex is just a good marketing story. No evolution there ...
I literally laughed out loud- no, you can’t keep beating that oyster to death forever.

I literally laughed out loud- no, you can’t keep beating that oyster to death forever.

I have to confess, that I kept a few ... Military Sub is one of them. But still no Evolution, unlike Cockroaches...

I’ve been known to impersonate trash cans…:rolleyes:

Like 1
Independent service would be the route I would choose, my last Omega watch serviced this way 18 months ago cost me NZ$160.00 (US$100.00) including a new Rotor and Post. Wait time was less than 5 days to get it back. My independent watchmaker was an Omega qualified repairer.

Please do tell where you're getting your watches serviced in NZ... my last 5 services all cost around $900 - $1100 NZD... $160??! Is unheard of.

Like 4
Please do tell where you're getting your watches serviced in NZ... my last 5 services all cost around $900 - $1100 NZD... $160??! Is unheard of.

I get a very good price for watch repair and service partly based on sheer volume, with 99% of my purchases getting serviced ( well over 200 watches in the last few years) and he also whilst still working is past the age of retirement in NZ Oh and of course I don't live in Auckland :) seriously though I often show him or tell him of the prices his competitors are charging. He is Omega qualified though he no longer has an Omega account having closed up his main street watch repair shop due to the CHCH earthquakes.

Like 1
I have an Omega Seamaster 300 automatic that I have owned for around 7-8 years. Over the past few weeks it has completely just quit working. I have tried to wind it both clock and counterclockwise, wear it for a few days, and even wear it to sleep. The second hand will move for a few second and then quit. I like the watch and only have around 1,200 in it. At this point, my frustration with it has me thinking it may be time to donate it or trash it and move on. Does anyone have any last ditch trouble shooting efforts before this thing ends up in the garbage?

Thanks!

Thrown it away yet?

I have box and papers - I’ll look into dumping it on eBay. Disappointing that it only lasted 7 years before crapping out on me.

So, what are you thinking about to replace it?
It will have a great movement and the watch will probably outlast you when serviced and maintained in a proper manner.

Are you thinking about moving down to somewhat disposable watches. Something like where a Seiko would be top tier?
Not that i would in any way dispose of a Seiko that i liked:thumbsdown:

Or maybe moving across to an Apple watch for a one watch total solution?

All it needs is some WD40 and it will be as good as new. Don’t pay someone to fix it when repairing it yourself is so easy.

Like 2
All it needs is some WD40 and it will be as good as new. Don’t pay someone to fix it when repairing it yourself is so easy.
Yep. Watchmakers are all shysters, it is like changing the oil on your car: not necessary. Use pliers or a wrench to open the back to allow you to apply the WD40 and Bob is your Mother's Brother. If those fail try a chisel. Job done :thumbsup:

Yep. Watchmakers are all shysters, it is like changing the oil on your car: not necessary. Use pliers or a wrench to open the back to allow you to apply the WD40 and Bob is your Mother's Brother. If those fail try a chisel. Job done :thumbsup:
I’ve always just flooded them through the case tube with the crown unscrewed. Need to pop the Helium relief valve or else the helium can build up too much pressure.

Like 2
I’ve always just flooded them through the case tube with the crown unscrewed. Need to pop the Helium relief valve or else the helium can build up too much pressure.
But always remember to repressurise with Helium afterwards of course*. I mean it goes without saying but you'd be amazed how many noobs forget this! Once you lose the Helium the buoyancy is screwed. Fact.

*This science is © @styggpyggeno1 who is a future Nobel prize winner and no mistake.
Edited:

Like 1
I suspect the OP was hopeful that such quick fix solutions as WD40 etc would've been offered, rather than have us try to offer advice that involved handing the job to someone that knows what they're doing to actually fixing the thing properly.