Omega Seamaster 300 quit working - trash it?

Is there a good watch forum where people do trades?
I don’t know of a forum that allows you to list a watch for sell/trade on the same day you join.

eBay is your best option.

Like 2
You can also sell on Reddit r/watchexchange if you don't want to pay the eBay fees. Although I doubt you'll get a lot of interest with prior transactions.

Like 1
If you buy on eBay, it’s easy to sell too- you already have an account. If you use the mobile app it walks you through how to list an item and even find comps. As said above, just list it honesty as not working and take as many sharp and well lit images as they allow to post for free. You will get market rate for it there less the 15-20% of flesh eBay tacks on- but that’s better than giving it away (unless to me- I do take charity).

Like 1
What Dan S said. Remember a fool and his money are soon parted.

Is there a good watch forum where people do trades?

Whilst you can't sell on OF you could buy and offer the SM300 as a trade/part ex. If you find something you like
in one of the sales forums you can PM the seller and make an offer.

As a very new member you may find it more difficult. A seller will no doubt ask for a lot of references, maybe a face to face meeting or some other way to ensure everything is above board before even considering any deal
Edited:

Like 1
This is a perfect example of the disposable mentality so rampant with everything these days, even with a classic and well made SMP classic.

I wish we can go back several decades where there was a maintenance and fix-everything approach to most things.

Like 1
Hopefully nobody is foolish enough to send the OP any money.

Sending money “seems exhausting”, I sent him magic beans instead.

Like 3
OP bear in mind that the movement in a Sub/Explorer is no more robust that a SM300. My Explorer is currently away for a full service as it wasn't running. The parts are more expensive that those for the 1120 caliber in the Seamaster, and it's costing me around £1300.
All mechanical watches need servicing, generally every 5-8 years. If this isn't done and they're used until they stop, the servicing cost are usually much higher than for a preventative service.

Like 3
I am not trolling - if it doesn’t work it’s just a brick, imo. Waiting 26 weeks and spending $700 for a $1,500 watch seems exhausting. I may throw it up on FB yardsale or eBay ask a few hundred for it or throw it in with a trade. I would like to get a Rolex Polar or Submariner and now just might be the time to do it.
And if you don’t take care of those, they will die too.

Like 1
I think you can get this serviced for less than $700... I wouldn’t go to omega on something like this but rather a trustworthy independent place.

Regardless, if it’s not bringing you joy, sell it on and someone will happily take on the project.

I would look for a similar watch in quartz which will probably be a better option for you, and likely you can pay cash for one with the proceeds of this watch sale.

Like 5
I think you can get this serviced for less than $700... I wouldn’t go to omega on something like this but rather a trustworthy independent place.

Regardless, if it’s not bringing you joy, sell it on and someone will happily take on the project.

I would look for a similar watch in quartz which will probably be a better option for you, and likely you can pay cash for one with the proceeds of this watch sale.
Yeah, but quartz watches need to have the stinkin' batteries replaced, and solar watches need the dang sun! ; )

Like 2

Yeah, if no parts are needed, I think my watchmaker might charge between $300-$500 for servicing something like this.

In part, I do get what the OP is saying. I'm sure many of us have had pieces that we don't care to service. That's just when you put something up for sale or trade.

But I'm nostalgic. If I'd been wearing a watch for years, I'd have trouble unloading it unless it was prohibitively expensive to service.

Like 1
I am surprised there are not 100s of send it to me posts. Then again who knows what the OP inbox looks like.

Of course I self service my own watches, so repair costs are parts availability ...

Like 1
Hopefully nobody is foolish enough to send the OP any money.

My exact thought.

OP post that his watch is trash and wants to donate it. Nothing suspicious about that /s :rolleyes:

Like 4
The obvious conclusion from the above is that the OP has no intention of actually throwing it away. It is just a clumsy way of circumventing the forum rules.

Yeah, if no parts are needed, I think my watchmaker might charge between $300-$500 for servicing something like this.

In part, I do get what the OP is saying. I'm sure many of us have had pieces that we don't care to service. That's just when you put something up for sale or trade.

But I'm nostalgic. If I'd been wearing a watch for years, I'd have trouble unloading it unless it was prohibitively expensive to service.
I think it’s a sliding scale of interest/value/hassle. I have some fun vintage $200 watches I bought running and wore for a few years and they finally started to get flakey. Those end up in a box to either fix or give away- some I have sold here as project watches for cheap and I know a few members who have brought some of my fun dead watches back to life- they had the interest, I didn’t.

I dug my 00’s Tag Carrera and it was worth about what the OP’s watch is worth- but if that had some proprietary parts that only Tag could repair to the tune of $700+, I would have probably just sold it for parts. Since I didn’t love the watch I gave it to a friend who adores it and had it serviced by an independent just for routine maintenance- it was worth it to him.

Like 2
Independent service would be the route I would choose, my last Omega watch serviced this way 18 months ago cost me NZ$160.00 (US$100.00) including a new Rotor and Post. Wait time was less than 5 days to get it back. My independent watchmaker was an Omega qualified repairer.

Shop around for a good independent qualified Watchmaker

Yeah, but quartz watches need to have the stinkin' batteries replaced, and solar watches need the dang sun! ; )
Have you priced getting a replacement sun lately? And only approved watchmakers can buy them through Omega these days -- no more independent suppliers.

Like 1