Forums Latest Members
  1. Engee Nov 1, 2019

I saw this on a well known internet trading platform and have been looking at it with increasing levels of interest and suspicion. It’s an early automatic version, mid-size and pretty much everything checks out except

1 the lume infill on the hands is missing, they’re hollow. I realise that lume can go but surely it’s painted onto a solid piece of metal?

2 the bezel looks a bit shiny and the numbers are close to the inner ring, even touching in the case of the “20”, or so it seems. I’m thinking the bezel may have been repainted but it’s pretty good if it has and the rest of the watch looks in nice condition so I wonder why only the bezel would need such work.

Am I rightly suspicious or just paranoid (again)?

200A3CD3-25A4-4051-9745-9413CD3622EA.jpeg
  2. padders Oooo subtitles! Nov 1, 2019

Pre Bonds are always tatty. That bezel is fine. The hand lume is painted onto a frame. What you see there is what remains when it falls or is knocked out. You can’t get replacement tritium hands now but you could have those relumed. I’ve had a couple of those. They are not as nice to own as to look at. If you must have one, the full size is worth seeking out.

Edited Nov 1, 2019
    Engee likes this.
  3. Engee Nov 1, 2019

Thanks Padders, so paranoid (again)! What do you mean by they look nicer than they are to own? Are they difficult to keep well maintained? Also, I know that the full size versions are more collectible, but I’m not a fan of large watches so I think this size is right for me.

4. jaguar11 Nov 1, 2019

Just an old watch with character.....

Engee likes this.
  5. padders Oooo subtitles! Nov 1, 2019

Maintenance is the same as any 1980s-90s ETA based Omega but case parts are very hard to come by, even within the authorised network so it pays to seek out a tidy one. The organic design is dated, it makes the bezel very difficult to grip so more style over function. The bracelets are light weight and rattly even when brand new. The mid size has very little dial area as a lot is robbed by the bezel, the full size is only around 39-40mm so not all that massive by modern standards. By all means scratch the itch if you want one but don’t be fooled into thinking it’s like a Bond but cheaper, they are a lot less nice and feel built to a lower price point. All IMHO of course!

madjestikmoose and Engee like this.
  6. michael22 Nov 1, 2019

Maybe the owner thought it would look newer with skeletal hands.:whistling:

Engee and padders like this.
  7. Engee Nov 1, 2019

Thank you again, that’s all very helpful food for thought. I don’t want to buy something if I might lose interest in it quickly. I don’t have any modern “chunky” watches with numbered / rotating bezels, largely because I don’t much like them as much as classic simple watches, but I’m keeping an eye out for one to add a little variety to my collection. I’m sure there will be days when I feel like a doing a bit of weightlifting. ;)

8. michael22 Nov 1, 2019

I tried that.
    Impossible to get used to the modern chunk.

Engee likes this.