Forums Latest Members
  1. Watchingwatches3 Jul 26, 2022

Hi guys,

I’m hoping for some help…. I’ve saved up decent money and I’m looking to buy an everyday watch to be the main stay of my watches for decades to come, I think it’ll see probably 95% of the wear.

I’m struggling to choose between the Speedy 3861 or the Rolex explorer 114270.

I doubt I’ll regret either, but I’m slightly put off the speedy because of the water resistance.
    I’m not planning on going swimming with it, but would be nice not to panic if I forgot to take it off whilst bathing my kids or some minor water exposure.

(I suspect there’s tons) but does anyone have any experiences good or bad with wearing the speedy as a daily? I think I’m being over cautious, but would be good to hear from someone with real world experience!

Thanks in advance!

Samir likes this.
  2. fiberguy Jul 26, 2022

A brand new Speedy has more than sufficient water resistance for minor water exposure part of the METAS certification process is a test for water resistance. Copied directly from Omega... "
    To ensure the integrity of our timepieces at depth, not just some but all watches are fully immersed in water and pressure is applied up to the point of the guaranteed water resistance. By submerging each watch in water we have chosen – yet again - to exceed normal testing standards."

3. BarbVl Jul 26, 2022

I will vote for the Speedy..

4. Watchingwatches3 Jul 26, 2022

Thank you, I think I am just being over cautious to be honest.

I’ve gone through a lot of watches, but haven’t spent anything over £2k before so this one is a big decision for me.

5. mrchen Jul 26, 2022

I would have much more fun having a Speedmaster or any chronograph as an everyday than a time-only. I find myself using the chrono all the time for my parking meters and other things in everyday life.

It's not like either of those models are going anywhere, if you love both you'll probably end up owning both eventually one day. It's only 'one or the other' in this one moment. This is me talking from experience.

hanky6 likes this.
  6. Watchingwatches3 Jul 26, 2022

Haha that is a great point!

My doubts on the Explorer are that it may be a bit too boring, plus I kind of like how the speedy is a bit less flashy!

7. crd Jul 26, 2022

I never worry about wearing the 3861 in normal situations

8. Strat25 Jul 26, 2022

To tag on to this thread and not waste space by starting a new one...when buying a new Speedy either Hes or Saph, is there anything I should look for or test with the watch while inspecting it at the AD? I've had several Rolex's and have a vintage 5513 Sub...but recently I sold my BB GMT because I wanted a bit more of an "iconic" or "historic" watch to leave. (hopefully plenty of years into the future lol) I loved the GMT but it just didn't give me that long term watch feel. Its been years since I sat at an AD to look at a watch...probably the last time was my Exp II about 7 years ago (when you could walk into an AD and buy something) and I basically saw the watch I wanted, they sized it, and I walked out. But with the Speedmaster (and not being as familiar with Omega) if I decide to buy one, anything I should pay specific attention to before purchasing? (In the event I do?)

9. blueteg Jul 26, 2022

Have you tried a 114270 on? I have skinny wrists and it felt small and kinda dainty even on my wrist. The Speedmaster will feel much bigger compared to a 36mm Explorer.

The 214270, at 39mm, feels like a more versatile size (unless you have *really* skinny wrists) and more formidable competitor to the Speedmaster.

With all that being said, for a watch that will be your primary/only luxury watch, I would go with a modern Speedy.

Samir and Watchingwatches3 like this.
  10. 7enderbender Jul 26, 2022

Can’t go wrong with either. Both classics in their own right. Both flying under the radar and making excellent day to day watches.
    I’ve worn a Speedy variation as my only watch for a good thirty years. Added some others since but it’s still going strong. I would be conservative with heavy exposure to water, but they are ver solid and can get wet, especially if you’re taking care of it (keeping your arm out of harms way becomes second nature) and get it serviced at reasonable intervals.

11. Watchingwatches3 Jul 27, 2022

I have tried one on and I like the fit of it to be honest.

I’m fortunate to have a 7” wrist which allows me to get away with most sizes I think. Personally I lean slightly smaller usually because I’m in to vintage, so used to wearing 34mm seamasters and things.

Seems like the speedy is winning the vote!

Samir and blueteg like this.
  12. Watchingwatches3 Jul 27, 2022

Thanks for this, good to hear from someone who’s got solid experience living with them day to day.

I am leaning towards the speedy now, the real world experience is a big factor really for me. Last thing I want is a watch I feel I have to baby!

Chronomariner likes this.
  13. zetaplus93 Jul 27, 2022

My experience is from wearing the 114270 as a daily back in 2017 or so (sold after 1 year), and recently got the 3861 sapphire as a daily. My wrist fluctuates between 6.2” and 6.5”.

Hard choice. Overall I think it comes down to which design you like better (and it sounds like it’s the Speedy).

The other big difference is the clasp. The one on the 114270 was atrocious and one reason I sold it. After wearing modern clasps (e.g. 116710, 114200, 3861 sapphire sandwich, and hell even the GS clasps), it was really hard for me to get used to previous generation clasps. I guess some folks find it “charming”, but it wasn’t for me. One way to get around it is to find a modern bracelet/clasp for the 114270 (I did it for my 16570), though I imagine it’d be really hard to source one nowadays.

The 3861 clasp is solid and on par with modern ones, though I’m waiting on the Chronoscope one to come officially to the 3861 Speedy to get some adjustability.

Good luck! Don’t think you can go wrong with either one.

4B8D0955-C578-4E3F-94F2-A14E597890E5.jpeg B30824BE-4DC3-49A7-BCC3-2DA05FF3F857.jpeg

14. Watchingwatches3 Jul 28, 2022

Thanks for this! I think you raise some good points on those clasps and to be fair to Omega, the new speedy clasp looks amazing.

I had seen that chronoscope mod, so thought I may do that later down the road if I start adjusting it frequently.

Did you find the 114270 a bit boring? I wear 3 handers most of the time to be honest, just I think if it was the one I wore 95%, I’d start looking for some sort of complication.

Just another tick in the box of the Speedy really I suppose!

15. zetaplus93 Jul 28, 2022

Honestly I did find it dull after a while, but I chalk it up to being personal preference. I’ve since found that I like watches with bezels of some sort, whether moveable or not (like the Explorer II). But this is rather subjective, so you’d have to decide whether it’s an issue for you or not.

Oh and the watch case itself is rather boring—you can find similar cases in so many designs. It’s just too curvy—I’ve been drawn more towards angular shapes recently. I will say that I do quite like the twisted lyre lugs of the Speedy. Again, this is rather subjective.

Having said all of the above, the applied indices and the rest of the design of the 114270 is rather nice.

16. nlogax Jul 28, 2022

Background: I currently have a 124270 and used to have a 1861, so... moreorless the same stable. I've a skinny wrist - about 16cm - and definitely prefer watches in the 34mm-38mm range these days.

Both are classic designs, complement each other well, so you'll probably end up with both. The Explorer can go anywhere, do anything, goes under the radar and feels premium, a little boring perhaps. The Speedy is a little more casual and to me felt a little more visible to others, a little more exciting to wear but perhaps on fewer occasions.

Watchingwatches3 likes this.
  17. Watchingwatches3 Jul 29, 2022

Thanks for this, it’s sometimes more helpful to know why people sold those watches I think.

I personally sold a BB58 in blue and I’m still not sure exactly what I didn’t like, I think it may of been the colour of the dial wasn’t quite right, definitely prefer black dial watches!

18. Stephanos Jul 29, 2022

They are both great pieces, more than capable to withstand daily wear. Regarding the 3861 water resistance, I don't think you should be worried about it for normal wear/activity.

In the end, I think there are a couple of things to consider while making your decision (having in mind that you can't go wrong with either):
    1. Size: they are quite different as far as size is concerned. Even though both would be comfortable to wear, I think you should consider how each sits on the wrist, especially if they will be on your wrist for most of the time.
    2. Whatever your choice, you will be wondering if you made the right decision, and you are probably going to end up having both in the future haha

I have to say that by two 'go to' pieces are my 3570.50 (I keep changing between bracelet and natos/leather straps) and my 16570 Explorer II. Both are excellent for daily wear.

19. Watchingwatches3 Jul 29, 2022

Haha I’m concerned with how many people say I will end up with both!….. Mega expensive this hobby!

I appreciate your insights, the Rolex does seem a little more dressy, which isn’t really me to be honest.

I guess either is probably the right choice!

nlogax likes this.
  20. Watchingwatches3 Jul 29, 2022

Thanks for this, seems my concerns about water resistance are being too cautious!

Great shout on the size point, I’ll probably end up with whichever I don’t buy first haha!

Great watches by the way! The 16570 is an interesting proposition too…