Forums Latest Members

New speedy 3861 - upgrade or not?

1. Major74 Mar 31, 2021

Hello, new to the forums. I've been a member on watchuseek for a few years and lurker at omegaforums. It's time i made an acconut and my first post.

The new 3861 is obviously an upgrade from the previous 1861 and has been a hit generally among fans and others too. If it's your first speedy, I think it's a no brainer to go for the 3861 as the price increase justifies all the upgrades. I am particulary a fan of the concentric circles, bracelet and how overall it's actually more accurate the original 1969 moonwatch with its case shape however if you have a 1861, should you sell and upgrade to 3861 or keep the 1861 for whatever reasons you may have? My question is how many of you are smitten enough to sell your 1861's to purchase the 3861.

Personally I think the new watch is great but having a 1861, I can't see myself purchasing a 3861 because for me the upgrade aren't substantial enough to warrant the extra costs+ loss from selling the 1861.

Although I am curious about the bracelet. Contrary to many other WIS, I like the 1861 bracelet design, feel and comfort but the endlinks protrusion is disgusting on my 6.5inch wrist. it's just about "okay". I may consider the 3861 bracelet on my 1861 watch once i've seen some more info/videos on the matter. Just not a fan of the last link "notched" (like the absurd iphone's notch) at the clasp if you use the largest microadjustment.

Would love to hear your views on the matter.

and a picture just for fun

[​IMG]

Edited Apr 1, 2021
    Samir and split-time like this.
  2. Donn Chambers Mar 31, 2021

Welcome to the forum and kudos for posting a pic with your first post. And an avatar to boot. You obviously lurked longer than I did before your first post. :)

I’ve got an 1861-powered Speedmaster and have no intention of selling it to get a new one. Might pick up a 3861 later once Omega releases a version I like, but until then, I am quite happy.

Samir, owl., reemas and 4 others like this.
  3. gbesq Mar 31, 2021

I like the 3861, but given my preference for vintage, I have no intention of selling my 861 models to finance an upgrade. I was never a fan of the 1861, especially with the modern bracelet — too heavy, too clunky, too blingy.

Samir, owl. and worldwidewes like this.
  4. Evitzee Mar 31, 2021

I have many 1861s and an 861, and an Apollo 11 50th, I feel no need to upgrade anything. All are good.

owl., Pun and Pazzo like this.
  5. marcn Enough space to say witty Mar 31, 2021

TL;DR: I’ll likely sell my 1861 now that I have the 3861.

For me, while I enjoyed my year+ wearing my 1861, I never fell in love with it. I was fortunate to pick up a 3861 shortly after they arrived at OBs, and it was a different story right away.

I have only nits to pick with my 1861: it was always a bit of a pain (literally) to wind, never loosening up as others have experienced, and in winter months with my messed up old-guy painful fingertip splits, it wasn’t pleasant. Others report pretty decent accuracy with their 1861s, but mine was underwhelming, though I could’ve gotten it adjusted, instead I just adapted and set it regularly.

The 3861 has noticeably less resistance winding, and the accuracy is phenomenal, holding steady now at ~+1.5s/d

The 3861 is a dream for me, and I can’t see parting with it. The 1861 works great for others, but it’s never going to see wrist time on me again.

Samir, owl., Dor_42 and 5 others like this.
  6. OmegaFan503 Mar 31, 2021

I just went for the new bracelet. It works just fine on the 1861. Definitely an improvement over the non-tapered and protruding bracelet.

And I was lucky enough that I do not need the last hole on the clasp so it looks good!

IMG_20210330_100924.jpg IMG_20210329_183903.jpg
    Samir, owl., Pazzo and 1 other person like this.
  7. Eve Apr 1, 2021

I know many here prefer the hacking seconds and whatever "improvements" the 3861 supposed to bring. Only time will tell how reliable new movement is. I personally dont care for those "improvements" and would prefer the good old 1861 over 3861 as i prefer the classical swiss lever escapement. But i understand that for the brand, the movement update was already overdue, so it is what it is..

For the watch itself, i had a chance this week to try on the new 3861 Saphire Version at an AD (unfortunatelly they didnt have the Hesalite to try). I must admit, i really liked the watch. The dial has a deeper black colour, the step dial, the bracelet, etc. The watch on the bracelet felt considerably lighter than the previous version. Maybe when the Hesalit version gets available i will try it on, altough i am not a big fan of all the text going on, on the caseback.

So i think it was a mistake to try it on, as now i want one :D but i will still take my time and think it over, if i really need it.

Good luck!

Edited Apr 1, 2021
    Samir and owl. like this.
  8. YY77 Apr 1, 2021

I was unfamiliar with non hacking only until I got the A11 50SS which got the movement upgrade to hacking compared to the 1861. Since then I've gotten an El Primero and with changing to daylight savings time last week thought it's actually an advantage to have non hacking as I balance the gain/loss in the best position overnight.

Eve and STANDY like this.
  9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 1, 2021

Have the 1861 in 3 Speedmasters a 2013 and both the Speedy Tuesday’s.

No need for a 3861 and probably if and by the time I do all the teething issues the 3861 is having (ie wheels scraping and needing replacement ) will have been fixed.

Pazzo likes this.
  10. Major74 Apr 1, 2021

I'm loving all different opinions on the thread. I just came across the whole "controversy" of the sharp edges of the watch. Late to the #sharpgate because I obviously live under a rock but wow seriously? Haha, it gave me a good laugh.

To be completely transparent, I got "ripped off" on my purchase of the 1861 in 2017 as I walked into OB in london and paid full MSRP. This was my first "high end" luxury watch purchase so I was young, naïve and completely showed my cards as I wanted the watch that day. I later found out other people were able to get 15-20% discounts and felt ripped off. Haha never mind, lesson learned. The watch was bought to mark my graduation from university and I bought it that day so I could wear it to the ceremony later in the day. Besides the logical reasons I stated in my initial post, I have sentiment invested in my 1861 so a big reason I wouldn't "upgrade" but I know a lot of people who are wanting to pick up a sapphire version of the 3861 and keeping their 861/1861 hesalite versions. If they do bring out other versions I like in the future, I may jump on that.

Since I haven't tried the 3861 for myself, I am going to check it out eventually. Unfortunately my AD/OB where I got my 1861 has shut down since the whole covid lockdown so I will need to find a new AD/OB after establishments start opening up with lockdown easing. More so, I wanted to try the bracelet that comes on the 3861. I wonder if the AD/OB will allow the bracelet to be installed my 1861 and size the bracelet to see if I need to use that last hole on the clasp as this is a make or break feature for me. I would not bother with the new bracelet if I have to see that ghastly "notched" link. I suppose I could just ask to size the 3861 to my wrist and see about the "notched" link as I doubt the dimensions of bracelet would change much with 3861 as opposed to the 1861 on the same bracelet.
    Anyone else in the same boat? Tried to confirm about notch link before purchasing?/what method did you use to determine if it worked for you?
    Also for anyone interested/reading in the future. At the time of writing this, the price of the bracelet is £585 in the U.K.

Thank you for the lovely welcome. Yeah, was just being lazy to make an account but definitely have been lurking for years on and off.

Agreed. If I had a 861, I wouldn't even think about the "upgrade".

Thank you for your insightful view. I had hypothesised most 1861 owners would be in the same boat as me with feeling the upgrade was unnecessary hence your interesting opposing view was a nice fresh change. I am lucky, I haven't had to deal any of those shortcoming of the 1861 but I can see how all those small things may not feel substantial but together may make a big difference for some individuals such as yourself. Congratz on the new watch, wear it in good health.

Awesome pictures. it looks great. What do you think of the area where the lugs meet the end link? On another thread, in some others pictures, it looks like there is some overhang as the lug to lug on 1861 is a little longer?
    It's lovely that you did not need the last hole on the clasp. It really is a make/break feature for me hence the reluctance.
    Pardon me for being so forward but what is your wrist size?

Interesting, I didn't know the 3861 had such problems, I know a few teeth problems are to be expected as with most new products in their initial launch but considering the design is straight up 1861 with "upgraded non changable parts", i wouldn't have imagined much (I could be wrong on this...)

owl. and Raym0016 like this.
  11. Capt Cave Man Apr 1, 2021

Firstly, welcome aboard @Major74

For me, being relatively new to watch ownership and Omega, my first and only Speedy is currently an A11 50th Cal. 3861.

The only 'vintage' Speedy I'd eventually like to own would be a Cal. 861 145.022-69 Straight Writing...

12. gnuyork Apr 1, 2021

Can't help you here, my first Speedmaster is the 3861 and I LOVE it. I tried on the 1861 and I could easily have lived with that, but I'm glad I held out for the new one. As marcnorth mentioned, with the new bracelet it wears lighter, the watch case is also slightly thinner too. I have a smallish wrist and it wears beautifully and feels great. Non protruding end links is a great benefit with the new bracelet, as is the lightness and comfort.

I'm not aware of any teething problems as mentioned by STANDY, unless he was referring to the razor sharp shark's teeth issue. ::rimshot:: I'd be interested to see what they may be. So far no issues with mine though, worn daily since Jan 28th.

Edited Apr 3, 2021
    Samir likes this.
  13. YY77 Apr 1, 2021

Check this post.

M'Bob and gnuyork like this.
  14. amfalconer Apr 1, 2021

I've no intention of chopping my 1861 in, I get that the improvements and upgrades to the 3861 this run more than skin-deep, I'm a bit wary of potential teething issues with the later movement, and whilst I like the new bracelet, I find the taper a bit too exaggerated, and, most-likely would be unlucky enough to be stuck with the 2nd micro-adjustment on the clasp. Instead, I might treat myself to the Forstner 1450 when it finally gets released

I also prefer the muted anthracite colour of the dial on the 1861 to the 3861's darker dial - would prefer the concentric subdial rings to be visible on mine though.

15. fc3861 Apr 1, 2021

Hello and welcome! I'm new to the forum as well but have been an Omega fan boy forever.

I recently bought the new 3861 and I'm totally in love with it. I never owned the 1861 but years ago a friend let me borrow a really old Speedy for a while (I'm not sure which reference it was) and the 3861 reminds me very much of the previous version before the 1861.

I just wanted to make a couple of comments on topics that came up so far.

First, I would not feel like you got ripped off because you paid full retail at an Omega Boutique. I've had experience buying from the discount dan gray market websites of other products, not just watches and I'm here to say that there are benefits to purchasing from the Omega Boutique directly. I recently had a mishap with my brand new 3861 that literally made me sick to my stomach (see my thread on the topic) and I was very thankful that I had purchased it from a boutique because the support they gave me and the discounts on the parts to get it back to normal was well worth more than any savings I may have received from buying gray market. So, I guess it's only a ripoff if you're really careful and have the good luck to never have any problems with your watches.

Second, it sounds like you purchased your 1861 to commemorate a significant milestone in your life which you will never forget. I would treasure and cherish that watch and hand it down to your next generation some day. I wouldn't ever sell that watch just to upgrade to the latest. If you really love the Speedmaster, I would just save up and just buy the 3861 because the look and feel of it is great as well as the accuracy of the new movement is phenomenal. There are many reasons to get the new version however, I still would not sell your 1861 to fund it.

Enjoy your Speedy in good health and best regards!

FC

Samir, Major74, Alfista88 and 3 others like this.
  16. fc3861 Apr 1, 2021

Oh, one more thing, I was able to get a good fit without using the notched link/micro adjust because the links on the new bracelet are very small - I believe there are 12 on each side. I have a big wrist and just dropped one link on the 6 o'clock side and have been very happy without the need for the micro adjust.

17. PhilF Apr 1, 2021

I recently upgraded for the following reasons:

The accuracy and lack of hacking frustrated me
    I'm around a lot of magnets and my 1861 seemed to get magnatized frequently
    The large links and lack of micro-adjust, unable to get a comfortable fit
    Really found the 3861 sapphire's display back very appealing
    Liked the lower case height and design, wears smaller on the wrist
    Found the retro styling of the face appealing, but still the familiar face I love
    Got an excellent trade on my 1861 full kit
    And finally (wait for it.....) it's our 50th anniversary and my wife wanted to get me something significant that I could wear every day.
    So, a lot of boxes got checked, plus a very pleasant buying experience with my AD.

18. gnuyork Apr 1, 2021

Thanks!

YY77 likes this.
  19. gbesq Apr 1, 2021

Nice. And happy anniversary!

PhilF likes this.
  20. rfcs Apr 1, 2021

I own and will keep the FOIS with the 1861. I use it mostly on Tuesdays or weekends with a Napa leather NATO strap. This piece should hold value and is a legacy to pass on.

Twocats likes this.