New speedmaster 3861 SS. Quality control issues.

That's super cool. I appreciate you sharing your story! Where did you get the tin tin dial?
I bought it three years ago from another member on here

I wanted an Omega for many years. Seamaster was a strong candidate, but I decided against it because I am on the list for a Rolex Submariner, which in my opinion is superior. [/QUOTE]

Really, you are so funny, I find Rolex themselves arrogant and unpleasant. From my own experience with a 16610LV, I found the following:
• You could see the dial centre had a uniform dent.
• The crown wasn’t as smooth as the Omega
• The watch gained 2 seconds everyday.

As a side note and someone who was a moderator on a totally different form in the past I can't help but note that there are a lot of nitpicky complaint threads like this specifically about the current gen moonwatch, and I'm having difficulty deciding whether or not this is simply because that watch is so popular and many new people are getting into Omega, or if it is because that it is a common trolling tactic the Omega community deals with.

No implications meant vs you here, OP- just wandering thoughts on that topic.
I don’t think these types of posts are trolling. It’s the same as any online review. You’re mostly hearing from the people that are either really happy or really pissed. You never hear from the vast majority of happy customers. I don’t think it’s unfair for people to be nit picky when dropping that kind of coin on a watch. I also realize, mostly from my experience here, that perfection is not a reasonable expectation.

That's a fair assessment and probably accurate.

I don’t think these types of posts are trolling. It’s the same as any online review. You’re mostly hearing from the people that are either really happy or really pissed. You never hear from the vast majority of happy customers. I don’t think it’s unfair for people to be nit picky when dropping that kind of coin on a watch. I also realize, mostly from my experience here, that perfection is not a reasonable expectation.

Agreed, but my house is not a million dollar mansion. This watch however is the equivalent of that, in the watch world.

Not a very good analogy as home prices vary by location. A million dollars gets you an old 1500 sqft condo in Los Angeles. ::bleh::

Not a very good analogy as home prices vary by location. A million dollars gets you an old 1500 sqft condo in Los Angeles. ::bleh::

I also don't think it's a very good analogy because I don't even think a multi-million dollar home is going to escape all issues you run into with slightly unlevel floors or walls that aren't perfectly plumb or straight...

Love the screen name btw

The deeper you get into this bizarre world of watches, you learn that there is no such thing as perfection... at any cost. I found debris in a factory fresh Royal Oak... which costs ~5x a Speedmaster. I've seen several Rolex watches with flaws... even in the ceramic bezels. We all have different levels of tolerance for such flaws... but if perfection is what you expect, then you will likely be disappointed than not.

My new Speedmaster 3861 had something under the dial, too. It went back to the service center… twice. And it came back with something different under the crystal in different spots both times. My dealer just swapped it with another one in their case and I’ve been happy ever since.

I totally understand the frustration, though. When I got my speedmaster I felt all the same things when I saw the spec of dust under the crystal.

To OP: Watch brands have themselves to blame to some extent for marketing their pieces as precision instruments, painstakingly handmade pieces of craftsmanship, etc. but as many have pointed out, the sorts of imperfections you‘ve pointed out are very common and within tolerance (with the exception of the debris/mark on the dial - that’s just not right).

I have a Speedy whose chrono hand rests to the left side of the 12 o’clock hour marker. I had several watchmakers look at it, including one that worked at OMEGA, and all said it was “within tolerance” according to OMEGA factory standards. Mine is way worse than yours!

Here's my 3861 at 2 o'clock. The angle isn't the best, but you can see it looks pretty much spot on.

My chrono hands align slightly to the right as well. Now I’m disappointed because I thought I had a piece unique :(

My new Speedmaster 3861 had something under the dial, too. It went back to the service center… twice. And it came back with something different under the crystal in different spots both times. My dealer just swapped it with another one in their case and I’ve been happy ever since.

I totally understand the frustration, though. When I got my speedmaster I felt all the same things when I saw the spec of dust under the crystal.
The problem with that action is what happens to your original watch? Put back in the showcase and sold as a new watch to a future unsuspecting soul? The typical response is, "I don't care as my needs were taken care of", but this is an issue with generous return privileges that are common today. A product can only be new once, once it's out in the wild it is a used article. How many used watches lurk in ADs around the world masquerading as brand spanking new?

Here's my 3861 at 2 o'clock. The angle isn't the best, but you can see it looks pretty much spot on.

That looks pretty spot on to me. The dot over 120 seems to be lined up with the 30 minute mark, 00 minute mark and the dot below 60. Unless photo angle is misleading.

For reference here's a picture of it with the chronograph hand in its starting position. I tried to take the photo as straight as possible. 20230507_161632.jpg

For reference here's a picture of it with the chronograph hand in its starting position. I tried to take the photo as straight as possible. 20230507_161632.jpg
If you really want to take a straight picture, put the watch on the table, get a glass and put your phone in top of it.

Yep, that's bang on straight to the naked eye. I'd be happy with that. That's what I expected mine would be.

If they’re willing to exchange it that may be your best bet. The junk on the dial is definitely not cool. Not trying to rub it in but I just eyeballed mine and it’s pretty much spot on. Picture is off center and crooked because I rushed it so that’s why the minute hand looks a little off. That’s something I love about this watch is the precision of how it’s bang on every hash on the dial.

CA00250E-A6E2-48F7-AC88-2D31156915A5.jpeg

If they’re willing to exchange it that may be your best bet. The junk on the dial is definitely not cool. Not trying to rub it in but I just eyeballed mine and it’s pretty much spot on. Picture is off center and crooked because I rushed it so that’s why the minute hand looks a little off. That’s something I love about this watch is the precision of how it’s bang on every hash on the dial.

CA00250E-A6E2-48F7-AC88-2D31156915A5.jpeg

Yeah, that seems spot on. Makes me feel worse about mine :unsure:

Yeah, that seems spot on. Makes me feel worse about mine :unsure:
I’m sorry, that wasn’t my intention. The fact that your OB offered an exchange puts you way ahead though. That is a rare offer. Typically you’d be looking at a long warranty service. Many threads on the subject. Go get a new one and inspect it. Maybe you ask for a return if possible if you’re not satisfied. Then you can try again after some time. Definitely a crappy customer experience but ultimately I hope you can get a satisfactory watch.

The problem with that action is what happens to your original watch? Put back in the showcase and sold as a new watch to a future unsuspecting soul? The typical response is, "I don't care as my needs were taken care of", but this is an issue with generous return privileges that are common today. A product can only be new once, once it's out in the wild it is a used article. How many used watches lurk in ADs around the world masquerading as brand spanking new?

I didn’t share the entire story… the service center scuffed the hesalite crystal pretty badly, too. My AD took pictures of the watch before sending it out and confirmed the crystal was scratch free. So there’s no way they were going to sell it as new to someone else.

They told me they would send it back to Omegas service center and would deal with all of that on their own. Which is the right way to handle the situation.