New speedmaster 3861 SS. Quality control issues.

I agree, but that isn't the buyer's responsibility if the buyer should reasonably be able to assume that they are buying a product free of these issues. The authorized dealer or Omega boutiques actions after the buyer Returns the item are also not the buyers responsibility, they can't control other people's dishonesty.

I do agree that there are problems with generous return privileges absolutely. Each case probably needs to be looked at for its merits...

The problem with that action is what happens to your original watch? Put back in the showcase and sold as a new watch to a future unsuspecting soul? The typical response is, "I don't care as my needs were taken care of", but this is an issue with generous return privileges that are common today. A product can only be new once, once it's out in the wild it is a used article. How many used watches lurk in ADs around the world masquerading as brand spanking new?

Awesome! You really made out I think. Getting a replacement is not normal from what I've gathered. And +.6 a day is nothing. Another thing I love about my Speedy is it's so easy to correct the time because pushing/pulling the crown doesn't move the minute hand if you do it with basic care. Some other watches are so tricky and I like my minute hand perfectly zeroed on the hash. Every 2-3 weeks just pull the crown (yay hacking), wait a few seconds for the universe to catch up and push it back in.

Fully aware. I handled both and I found the sub better. Just my opinion.

A sub May of been better…but the one you get when you do buy one may not …..just saying 😗

Great outcome. There are quite a few of these popping up... I also have had an issue with a 3861. Curious if there's something going on at the assembly line.

For the record:

I bought my hessalite Speedy in August '22. Loved it. Wore it everyday since. Returned it to the dealer today as the chrono had malfunctioned badly. Wouldn't reset.

I had noticed issues over the last year, but wasn't sure if I was imagining it (chrono hand stopping/stalling). But yesterday it gave up the ghost entirely.

Still under warranty of course, so we'll see what they say - if anything - when I get it back.

Updated first post with the outcome.

I read pages 1,2 and 5 of this thread. I'm happy that the OP is now happy. I read a lot of posts on the Rolex forum with the same complaints about dust on the face, misalignments, etc. Some people forget that these watches are largely assembled by hand, and if humans are involved at any point, mistakes can happen. Heck, even if no humans are involved, the machines that assemble the watches were designed and built by humans, and wear out, and so again, mistakes can happen. Until Skynet gets into the watch business...

I think that the fact that Omega and/or the boutique stepped up and made it all OK is what is important here.