New speedmaster 3861 SS. Quality control issues.

These threads are frustrating for everyone. The expectation that "this was very expensive for me so it should be absolutely perfect" is a common refrain. Yet things that cost many, many times this amount have many serious flaws. I suspect the OP (like most of us) isn't 100% perfect at their job, yet he probably earns a salary many times the cost of the watch in question. But his work product is probably more than ok -- it's just not 'perfect'. What if their employee require absolute perfection? How long would one remain employed?

I have never seen a car -- even those costing hundreds of thousands of dollars -- that was perfect. $250k for that GT3 RSR? Yeah, sorry about the bolt failure that destroyed your motor... And I have never seen a house that was remotely perfect. Nor a $100 million office building.

Yes, it is frustrating when one spends money and feels all is not as it should be. There have been other reports of dust specs on dials, that have been handled satisfactorily by Omega. And some reports where the watch came back with more dust than when it was sent. Tiny misalignments of chrono hands is not uncommon at all -- and it is not remotely enough to impact the reading. Chasing 'perfection' can be a bitch if one truly expects it is achievable -- especially for a mass-produced item.

OP, here are a few examples of my own. Hand misalignment is common. Both my Sub and Datejust had them as well. Here are a few examples of other watches of mine that have it. I’m sure my 3861 does as well but I’m wearing that one currently so I’m not going to fiddle with the time to show it. You’ll always find misalignment to a degree. Omega will determine if it is in spec or not. But again, that’s what warranties are for.

IMG_3923.jpeg
IMG_3918.jpeg IMG_3919.jpeg IMG_3920.jpeg

Thanks, that offers some clarity. I am more bothered with the leftover specks on the dial than the misalignment issues. My Chrono seconds hand is closer to the 12 mark than the watches they had in stock at the boutique.

You are wrong in your assumption regarding money. The reason why I refer to it as
You are wrong in your assumption regarding money. The reason why I refer to it as "small fortune" is because I respect the money and the time and effort used to earn them and always look to get my money's worth in all purchases. A watch which costs that much should be subjected to succinct quality control, not subpar. Yes, I expect perfection or near to, when spending that amount.

I wanted an Omega for many years. Seamaster was a strong candidate, but I decided against it because I am on the list for a Rolex Submariner, which in my opinion is superior. That, and I didn't want 2 Omega in my 3-watch collection.

Superior? :coffee:

Rolex Submariner, which in my opinion is superior.
FYI, Rolex is also mass produced and considered mid tier just as Omega is. Rolex just spends a lot of money on marketing to make you think they are the best. If you think Rolex makes perfect watches every time, you’re setting yourself up for disappointment. They offer a warranty for a reason.

FYI, Rolex is also mid produced and considered mid tier just as Omega is. Rolex just spends a lot of money on marketing.

Fully aware. I handled both and I found the sub better. Just my opinion.

Yo Scarecrow, your tintin is clearly way out of spec. Happy to dispose of it for you!

Fully aware. I just handled both and I found the sub better. Just my opinion.

Completely respect your opinion here but what was it about the sub that you liked better and did you compare it to the Heritage model or to the diver?

Completely respect your opinion here but what was it about the sub that you liked better and did you compare it to the Heritage model or to the diver?

The bezel can be gripped with ease (on the seamaster I found it very slippery) and has more satisfying clicks, it's thinner, smaller lug to lug and the bracelet is one of the best I've seen.

The bezel can be gripped with ease (on the seamaster I found it very slippery) and has more satisfying clicks, it's thinner, smaller lug to lug and the bracelet is one of the best I've seen.

No doubt - Rawlexx makes a helluva bracelet. And I definitely tend to favor their L2L for my wrist as well.
Under the hood though, Omega kicks the ever lovin' shit out of the big R every time.

Maybe look at a refund of your 3861, get the Subby, and return back to the Professional down the road?

No doubt - Rawlexx makes a helluva bracelet. And I definitely tend to favor their L2L for my wrist as well.
Under the hood though, Omega kicks the ever lovin' shit out of the big R every time.

Maybe look at a refund of your 3861, get the Subby, and return back to the Professional down the road?

No way. I love the moonwatch. Always wanted to go to space and this watch is the closest I'll ever be to that.:rolleyes:

No way. I love the moonwatch. Always wanted to go to space and this watch is the closest I'll ever be to that.:rolleyes:

Well in that case keep it and enjoy it... space has imperfections too.
Tell chicks it's moon dust on the dial and prosper.

I’m sure my 3861 does as well but I’m wearing that one currently so I’m not going to fiddle with the time to show it.
Since time has just rolled over, here is my 3861

IMG_3928.jpeg

I’m personally fine with this as I have my own expectations and understand how these are made. If you can’t stand it, again, that is what warranties are for and as I said, Omega will determine if it is in spec or not. As for the dust, that would also be covered under warranty but you should understand the turn around time frame.

Well in that case keep it and enjoy it... space has imperfections too.
Tell chicks it's moon dust on the dial and prosper.

Yeah, my moonwatch's total entropy is quite high, same with space!

.....I'm convinced it's gold haha

Since time has just rolled over, here is my 3861

IMG_3928.jpeg

I’m personally fine with this as I have my own expectations and understand how these are made. If you can’t stand it, again, that is what warranties are for and as I said, Omega will determine if it is in spec or not. As for the dust, that would also be covered under warranty but you should understand the turn around time frame.

Oh my gourd... sell that thing. The bracelet has tarnished and begun to peel.

Yo Scarecrow, your tintin is clearly way out of spec. Happy to dispose of it for you!
No thanks ;) You’re in for a world of disappointment if you think this is a TinTin btw :eek:

IMG_3790.jpeg

It's clear that you don't know poljot.

No thanks ;) You’re in for a world of disappointment if you think this is a TinTin btw :eek:

IMG_3790.jpeg

After I posted that I queued up a "whoops I done f***Ed up" comment because I realized that as well.:confused:

Edit:

... what model is it?:thumbsdown:

Understood about the thinness of the case and the bracelet and even the lug to lug, but it is kind of wild how often I see the bezel action, which is arguably something most people will never use or will use rarely, listed as one of the top reasons people like the sub. Just goes to show just how powerful tactile feedback is in our evaluation process, I guess.

After I posted that I queued up a "whoops I done f***Ed up" comment because I realized that as well.:confused:

Edit:

... what model is it?:thumbsdown:
Haha well, it is as close to a TinTin as I’ll get. Specially after missing out on this one that was recently sold. I had just missed out as another member was faster.
https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-tintin-needs-repair.143423/

Mine is- I had a brand new unopened TinTin dial.
IMG_3930.jpeg

A genuine TinTin is a 1861 Speedy. So, before they were discontinued, I bought a brand new 1861 Speedy from an Omega boutique, with the intention of modding it. If you notice small details, my 1861 actually had a much larger discrepancy than the OPs misaligned hands… it came with the 3861 DON bezel. I bought it directly from Omega with the incorrect bezel lol. The second I got home from purchasing it, I put it on a strap and immediately went to my watch maker to mod it. Here is a picture of it brand new and on my way to my watch maker.
IMG_3929.jpeg

And the same picture as my above comment, for quick comparison.
IMG_3790.jpeg

I had him replace the bezel with a correct DNN 1861 bezel and sold the DON bezel. Also had him modify the movement to have a metal brake instead of the plastic, and fit an aftermarket sapphire back.
IMG_2984.jpeg IMG_2008.jpeg IMG_2009.jpeg

So yeah, as this is the same exact reference as the TinTin, this is as close as I’ll get to one. And that’s perfectly fine by me. I have zero intentions of letting this one go.
Edited:

That's super cool. I appreciate you sharing your story! Where did you get the tin tin dial?

Haha well, it is as close to a TinTin as I’ll get. Specially after missing out on this one that was recently sold. I had just missed out as another member was faster.
https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-tintin-needs-repair.143423/

Mine is- I had a brand new unopened TinTin dial.
IMG_3930.jpeg

A genuine TinTin is a 1861 Speedy. So, before they were discontinued, I bought a brand new 1861 Speedy from an Omega boutique, with the intention of modding it. If you notice small details, my 1861 actually had a much larger discrepancy than the OPs misaligned hands… it came with the 3861 DON bezel. I bought it directly from Omega with the incorrect bezel lol. The second I got home from purchasing it, I put it on a strap and immediately went to my watch maker to mod it. Here is a picture of it brand new and on my way to my watch maker.
IMG_3929.jpeg

And after
IMG_3790.jpeg

I had him replace the bezel with a correct DNN 1861 bezel and sold the DON bezel. Also had him modify the movement to have a metal brake instead of the plastic, and fit an aftermarket sapphire back.
IMG_2984.jpeg IMG_2008.jpeg IMG_2009.jpeg

So yeah, as this is the same exact reference as the TinTin, this is as close as I’ll get to one. And that’s perfectly fine by me. I have zero intentions of letting this one go.