Forums Latest Members
  1. topfox59 May 1, 2021

Good morning all and thank you all for allowing me to join the forum.
    My name is Russ and live on the South Coast (England).
    Interested in an Omega, preferably a 1959, the year I was born.
    Realising vintage watches are fraught with issues I thought I would join and see what is being said. I've seen this watch on eBay (124698168326), I didn’t choose it as it’s (currently) ‘cheap’ but because I liked the look and differs in style to my other watches.
    Whats people’s thoughts to the value of this watch?
    Ideally I would like a gold watch as it’s mainly for evenings, but what looks right is more important and happy to be guided by your advice.
    Thanks again and will start reading through the other posts
    Russ

mountainunder likes this.
  2. Fallout Boy May 1, 2021

Welcome Russ (from southern France) , don't hurry , ask the members here before you buy and check similar watches e.g. at Chrono24 by searching the reference number or details of the watch. It takes time to get some knowledge, but it s also fun and interesting :)
    atb and welcome again, Jo

topfox59 likes this.
  3. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m May 1, 2021

Spruce likes this.
  4. topfox59 May 1, 2021

yep that’s the one Paul thanks. Wasn’t to sure if I could post the link, some forums frown on it.
    Russ

p4ul likes this.
  5. topfox59 May 1, 2021

Thanks Jo for the good advice

6. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m May 1, 2021

Yeh, the links become redundant over time but the pics live on.

7. LesXL May 1, 2021

Bienvenue Russ (from Belgium)! Plenty of good reading and advices you can get from this site, and knowledgeable members... But also, we have a great baking, pets, drinking and listening sections among others... And a great Pocket Watch one too!

DaveK and topfox59 like this.
  8. topfox59 May 1, 2021

Thanks all for the welcome. What questions should I be asking re the above watch? It’s currently at £310, what is it’s realistic value?
    I also took advice re Chrono 24 and found this Gold Baume & Mercier. At just over a grand it seems relatively good value for an 18ct watch. I was hoping to keep the budget under £1K though as I need to factor in a possible service.
    I assume there is advice on a good person to service watches?
    Russ
    Russ

31B649C9-D40F-40DA-90D7-080D4575A85E.png
  9. Fallout Boy May 1, 2021

IMO the dial of the Baume is NOT patina.
    Thats often the question: (beautiful and due to age) patina or damaged.......

10. Fallout Boy May 1, 2021

Concerning the Omega: Chronometer w/o second-hand....makes no sense to me. As a ladies watch probably OK.

11. topfox59 May 1, 2021

Thanks Jo, the dial is damaged, especially around the 1 and 2. I’m sure it can be restored but of no value at the price.
    Good point re the second hand, hadn’t considered that.
    will keep checking
    Russ
    PS My daughter has just (indignantly) mentioned why don’t ladies need a second hand

12. Fallout Boy May 1, 2021

Sorry for my words :) I am not a native english spaeker, so I try to explain: the shown Omega is IMO a (beautiful) dresswatch and (hard to explain) men are mostly more addicted to (precise) watches with a lot of features as women. I hope, that explains my words :)
    So the dial w/o a second hand -I assume- is less noticeable, less "attactive" for men. (Like me :D)
    On the other hand: in my possesion are e.g. no Chronographs, only one day-date and no skeleton or moonphase watches....
    cheers

13. Fallout Boy May 1, 2021

The Baume: as a collector I would NEVER NEVER buy a vintage watch with a repainted/dial! If you (must) repaint it, you will at least halve the value.

14. topfox59 May 1, 2021

No offence taken, actually I found it quite amusing

15. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 1, 2021

Dial on the Constellation has been refinished, with no luminous on the dial or hands it should not be marked with T SWISS MADE T.

topfox59 likes this.
  16. iChristos May 8, 2021

Hello & welcome from Belgium !
    I hope that you will find a watch from your birthyear.
    I don't have one in my collection

17. topfox59 May 8, 2021

Many thanks for the welcome - so do I!!