OmegaSeiko
·I thought my collecting journey was complete after I purchased a Rolex OP for my 40th. I had my eyes on a Spring Drive Omiwatari, but figured that could wait for 50 as my watch storage was already overfilled. However, my wife recently gifted me a larger 10-slot watch box for our 10th anniversary. This immediately launched me into a research frenzy, originally looking at vintage TAG Heuer Carrera chronographs and eventually finding my way to vintage Seikos.
Since there have been some new purchases, I wanted to record the current state of the collection and share it with the group. Going roughly left-to-right, top-to-bottom:
Omega Automatic ref. 2597-1 - circa 1948
My grandfather’s watch. Cal. 351 bumper automatic that spent years sitting in a drawer before eventually coming to me. Grandpa was an active sailor and boat captain, so this one has lived a considerably more interesting life than I have. The dial may have been refinished sometime in its long history, but I have absolutely no intention of changing it. I had it serviced but rarely wear it out—usually just around the house.
Omega Speedmaster Professional
A wedding gift from my wife (so it’s 10 years old now) and still probably the closest thing I have to a default watch. It has accumulated plenty of scratches and memories and gets worn rather than babied. Usually lives on the bracelet, although it occasionally gets a black Artem sailcloth swapped in.
Rolex Oyster Perpetual 36
Bought for my 40th birthday and now my business and weekend watch. If I’m not wearing my default black shirt/Speedy combo, this is my go-to. The 36mm size has also probably contributed to my recent realization that I really like smaller watches. It gets a ton of wrist time with denim, sport coats, etc. Ironically, despite being one of the watches I wear most, it probably has less sentimental baggage than several of the cheaper watches in the box.
TAG Heuer Carrera Twin-Time
A graduation gift from my late grandmother and therefore another permanent member of the collection. It was worn heavily at first but had been out of rotation for a while until I fitted it with a black matte Omega alligator strap. It’s my default dress-up watch now, despite being a little sporty.
King Seiko 45-7001 - 1969
One of the recent buys since acquiring the expanded real estate and falling into the ensuing vintage obsession. Manual-wind Cal. 4500A, 36,000 bph, no date, Grammar-of-Design case, and a simple silver-white dial. My Seiko “Blue Spark,” purchased so long ago, must have inspired my current preferences. I now spend an unreasonable amount of time searching Japanese auction listings for a blue-dial 56KS Chronometer to pair with this.
Seiko SQ Quartz Day-Date - 1987
My late father’s watch. I remember him giving it to me in church as a kid so I could count down the minutes. The bracelet was stretched out, so I tried a couple of NATOs with gold hardware that I don’t love. I only wear it on Father’s Day and his birthday.
Seiko Turtle
Purchased to replace my SKX007 when it kicked the bucket. I like the design and history, but it’s just too big and chunky for me now. I wear it diving once a year but otherwise use my SPB213 as the default for pool/ocean time. This will probably be the next watch I pass on to my son when I need more space in the box.
Seiko SPB213
140th Anniversary edition. I fell in love with this and purchased it while on the waitlist for my Rolex. I had the dealer throw in this Seiko blue rubber strap as part of the deal, and I think they pair nicely. I was considering a blue Artem sailcloth, but they no longer offer it without a deployant buckle.
Seiko SCVS-013 “Blue Spark”
I believe I procured this one through the forum many moons ago. My wife has since commandeered it, and the strap is now too tight for me anyway. Its time here is limited, as I plan to evict it to my wife’s jewelry box when I need more space.
Seiko Lord Matic 5606-7140 - 1971
My other very recent vintage-Seiko acquisition, and perhaps the watch that best demonstrates how quickly this got out of hand. This dark dial in a cushion case was an impulse buy while I was researching the sharper-cased 5606-7000. Bourbon and watch shopping aren’t the best combination.
It’s nice, but I don’t have an instant love for it yet. Perhaps the new brown leather strap will give it a good spot in my wardrobe, and it can become a nice complement to my fall outfits.
Despite the case being full, it hasn’t slowed down my research for more, and I have a few I’m actively hunting. Specifically blue dial 56KS Chronometer and a Twin-Quartz model TBD. I still have the Grand Seiko and vintage Heuers on my radar as well.
Since there have been some new purchases, I wanted to record the current state of the collection and share it with the group. Going roughly left-to-right, top-to-bottom:
Omega Automatic ref. 2597-1 - circa 1948
My grandfather’s watch. Cal. 351 bumper automatic that spent years sitting in a drawer before eventually coming to me. Grandpa was an active sailor and boat captain, so this one has lived a considerably more interesting life than I have. The dial may have been refinished sometime in its long history, but I have absolutely no intention of changing it. I had it serviced but rarely wear it out—usually just around the house.
Omega Speedmaster Professional
A wedding gift from my wife (so it’s 10 years old now) and still probably the closest thing I have to a default watch. It has accumulated plenty of scratches and memories and gets worn rather than babied. Usually lives on the bracelet, although it occasionally gets a black Artem sailcloth swapped in.
Rolex Oyster Perpetual 36
Bought for my 40th birthday and now my business and weekend watch. If I’m not wearing my default black shirt/Speedy combo, this is my go-to. The 36mm size has also probably contributed to my recent realization that I really like smaller watches. It gets a ton of wrist time with denim, sport coats, etc. Ironically, despite being one of the watches I wear most, it probably has less sentimental baggage than several of the cheaper watches in the box.
TAG Heuer Carrera Twin-Time
A graduation gift from my late grandmother and therefore another permanent member of the collection. It was worn heavily at first but had been out of rotation for a while until I fitted it with a black matte Omega alligator strap. It’s my default dress-up watch now, despite being a little sporty.
King Seiko 45-7001 - 1969
One of the recent buys since acquiring the expanded real estate and falling into the ensuing vintage obsession. Manual-wind Cal. 4500A, 36,000 bph, no date, Grammar-of-Design case, and a simple silver-white dial. My Seiko “Blue Spark,” purchased so long ago, must have inspired my current preferences. I now spend an unreasonable amount of time searching Japanese auction listings for a blue-dial 56KS Chronometer to pair with this.
Seiko SQ Quartz Day-Date - 1987
My late father’s watch. I remember him giving it to me in church as a kid so I could count down the minutes. The bracelet was stretched out, so I tried a couple of NATOs with gold hardware that I don’t love. I only wear it on Father’s Day and his birthday.
Seiko Turtle
Purchased to replace my SKX007 when it kicked the bucket. I like the design and history, but it’s just too big and chunky for me now. I wear it diving once a year but otherwise use my SPB213 as the default for pool/ocean time. This will probably be the next watch I pass on to my son when I need more space in the box.
Seiko SPB213
140th Anniversary edition. I fell in love with this and purchased it while on the waitlist for my Rolex. I had the dealer throw in this Seiko blue rubber strap as part of the deal, and I think they pair nicely. I was considering a blue Artem sailcloth, but they no longer offer it without a deployant buckle.
Seiko SCVS-013 “Blue Spark”
I believe I procured this one through the forum many moons ago. My wife has since commandeered it, and the strap is now too tight for me anyway. Its time here is limited, as I plan to evict it to my wife’s jewelry box when I need more space.
Seiko Lord Matic 5606-7140 - 1971
My other very recent vintage-Seiko acquisition, and perhaps the watch that best demonstrates how quickly this got out of hand. This dark dial in a cushion case was an impulse buy while I was researching the sharper-cased 5606-7000. Bourbon and watch shopping aren’t the best combination.
It’s nice, but I don’t have an instant love for it yet. Perhaps the new brown leather strap will give it a good spot in my wardrobe, and it can become a nice complement to my fall outfits.
Despite the case being full, it hasn’t slowed down my research for more, and I have a few I’m actively hunting. Specifically blue dial 56KS Chronometer and a Twin-Quartz model TBD. I still have the Grand Seiko and vintage Heuers on my radar as well.
