Forums Latest Members

New (improved) process for Omega Extract of the Archives

1. Wryfox Jan 2, 2020

Both of my extracts did not require proof of ownership.

And BTW for these pdf extracts, it is very easy to convert a pdf to jpg, edit it, and convert back to pdf....so the possibility of bad things happening by bad people just went up big time.

2. Radiozoop Feb 13, 2020

Hey guys,

I tried to order an EoA from an Omega boutique here in Florida for an old 321 Chronograph CK2451-7. I have the watch in my possession and came across it at my favorite jeweler and had to get it.

Anyways, after about a month the boutique called me back and said an EoA was unavailable for my particular serial because there was some sort of fire at Omega whereby a bunch of stuff got destroyed. I was obviously disappointed because this watch means a lot to me and I thought it would be cool to have a piece of it’s history.

Does anyone know anything about this or if there is another method to get some paperwork on the watch? It’s quite old (maybe ~60 years) but it does contain a 321.

Radiozoop

C1A06D32-37EB-47C8-AA53-5BD341855A0F.jpeg

3. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Feb 13, 2020

There is a hole in their archives from the fire. That is the only place where you could get info on what watch case a movement was paired with as far as I know.

Radiozoop likes this.
  4. Radiozoop Feb 14, 2020

Thank you. I’m wondering if they’re able to do a CoA instead? I think this would require me to send in my watch but it would be nice to have, even though it’s way more expensive.

5. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Feb 14, 2020

If you really have your heart set on a piece of paper from Omega, are happy paying the price, as well as prepared to let some unknown person fully disassemble your watch to constituent pieces, then perhaps this is the way to go. It’s the last point which would bother me most.

6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 14, 2020

why do you want a COA? It’s easier to have someone here vet it for you. These aren’t faked, and honestly there are people here that can do a better job then Omega then making sure it has the correct parts as fitted by the factory.

7. izydor Feb 16, 2020

I don't know what you've suggested to them, but PDF extract I got in January carries a watermark "DIGITAL SPECIMEN" across the whole page. Perhaps it is some sort of fraud prevention. I'm not happy, because I wanted to print it.

New "birthday card" format isn't really appealing, disclaimer on 1/4 of the extract looks terrible, printed signature says "we don't care that much anymore" and lack of red envelope and all that stuff makes the extract less... personal? It's just a sheet of paper with some info now.
    It's great that you get instant extract online, but I wish paper copy remained as before.

Hint for people getting extracts in the future - provide just a movement #, skip case # (not to be confused with reference number!). It worked for me after 1st attempt failed.

8. kov Trüffelschwein. Feb 16, 2020

That's certainly not what I would call a digital safeguard and it's not what I used to suggest them.

Foo2rama likes this.
  9. MRC Oct 27, 2021

Could have been FTP, introduced 1971.

10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 27, 2021

FTP predates telnet…. Wow.

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 27, 2021

Probably was that.
    gatorcpa

12. MRC Oct 27, 2021

Telnet - RFC 15, September 1969.

In 1970 I was submitting Fortran II (yes 2) coding sheets to the punchers at college and dropping the resulting pack of cards into the IBM 1620 myself. By 1973 I was sending propriety language code sheets to a local punch bureau and carrying a couple of 2000-card boxes to a computer bureau in London to use their CDC6600. A network connection would have been very useful.

And would have saved me the embarrassment of dropping a box of cards on the London Underground with attendant need to pick them up and resequence.

Edited Oct 27, 2021
    kkt likes this.
  13. kkt Oct 27, 2021

Hope you had sequence numbers punched :)

14. SkunkPrince Oct 27, 2021

No removable disk pack or tape drive?

15. MRC Oct 27, 2021

Nope, not for CDC6600, for a customer it was cards in, paper out.. Got both with the first interactive computer I used, 1975 the Prime 300. But I could tell you about removable disk packs, tapes and the London Underground too....

gatorcpa likes this.
  16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 27, 2021

gatorcpa

17. MRC Oct 27, 2021

Yes. Me being at the time principally a Mechanical Engineer on a drawing board but not entirely new to computers and not entirely trusting the process. In fact the cards on the Undergound incident was on the way home so the cards didn't matter much but in the excitement the roll of output drawings I had under my arm were crushed putting creases into them, making them too damaged to copy cleanly. Hey ho, another trip to London, another computer run at at £500 -- I was paid £1750 pa gross at the time.

kkt likes this.
  18. paddymoran Feb 7, 2022

Hi, has anyone recently got an Extract of the Archives? Wondering how long it’s taking at the moment - days or weeks? Thanks a mil, Paddy

19. 140dave Feb 7, 2022

Not sure where you are located, I just got a couple but I am in the US and the procedure here is different than the rest of the world. I submitted for 2 EOAs the week between Christmas and New Years, I just received #1 and am told #2 isnt far behind so around 6 weeks for my physical copies.

paddymoran likes this.
  20. paddymoran Feb 7, 2022

Thanks Dave, I’m in Ireland. If the process in the US differs to Europe maybe your experience will differ but the date of issue on the EOA - was that close to the date that you submitted the requests and did you wait long for the digital documents?