Forums Latest Members

New (improved) process for Omega Extract of the Archives

1. BatDad Oct 14, 2019

I think this is where my concern lies - there’s a certain amount of ‘comfort’ that I find from the physical extract, the bumf that comes with it, and the physical signature - although I will confess I haven’t (yet) taken a loupe to the ones I have.

My concern is that I fear the PDF is relatively easy to reproduce - but as mentioned earlier in the thread we can ask for the physical. But will we be able to tell the difference between printed at home or printed by Omega?

I also wish I’d ordered a few before the changes.

Fast turnaround is great but I suppose I was looking for a larger online registry as well. Almost like - I’ve paid my 120CHF - I’d like the technical details of my watch publically available. Not that I’m selling any. :), but it means I won’t have to remember or look for the blasted extract in the future. Insurance company - here are my watches. Wishful thinking I know. :)

HDF59350 likes this.
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 14, 2019

I suspect that at this point, they were being signed by autopen.

Only if you keep the envelope in which they were mailed. I know for Longines, they come in a plastic holder, but these can be bought at Staples.

My guess is that most people want exactly the opposite. They would prefer privacy.

Different strokes for different folks.
    gatorcpa

eugeneandresson and BatDad like this.
  3. vitriol Oct 15, 2019

The "Extract from the Archives"
    We have upgraded a special online service for watch enthusiasts who would like to know more about the production history of their OMEGA products that are older than 10 years. [...]

Isn't that somehow new?
    As far as I know an old extract was available only for the watches produced before 2000, looks like now we can get EoA even for a 2008 watch.

4. Caliber561 Oct 15, 2019

I'm pretty sure I've heard the "before the last decade" qualification mentioned before, and it was definitely possible to ask for extracts on early 2000s watches, although very few felt the need to.

5. kov Trüffelschwein. Oct 15, 2019

Yes, this is new.

The legacy Extract from the Archives was available for pre-2000 watches.

It's good news. You now can quickly ans easily check if the Japan Racing Speedy or a Mitsukoshi you're intending to snag is an authentic one or a a creative assembly. ;)

queriver likes this.
  6. 8100_RPM Oct 15, 2019

HDF59350 likes this.
  7. kov Trüffelschwein. Oct 16, 2019

@8100_RPM there is a dedicated thread about the CoA, feel free to share your thoughts there :)

simonsays likes this.
  8. super70 Oct 26, 2019

I’m impressed by the short turnaround time of the request - took only two days for the pdf to be available.

Result is a bit strange, though - I doubt that adding a photo provides a real value add: requested an EoA for a seamaster 176.007, did not put the full ref number to the request, but only „seamaster 176“, and added the photos of the 176.007 in question.
    Received an EoA stating it should be a 176.001 - the ref featuring same dial/movement but no tachy-ring (delivered in 1973, which is pretty unusual, but this will go into a new thread).
    I am positively surprised that the request did not get rejected, because should have been clearly visible from the photo that the movement is sitting in a different case ... maybe the two refs are just too close

9. simonsays Oct 27, 2019

I am surprised that the form went through with an incomplete case reference. Did you withhold the number because you knew the movement was replaced?

10. super70 Oct 27, 2019

Had the gut feeling that this might happen, so i did only specify the family ref - this was my first vintage project 1 year ago assembling a genuine case/dial combination (early 007 with needle pin hands) with an ‚online auctioned‘ 1040 movement ... where the seller was ,absolutely sure it comes from a 007‘
    Will post the full story later in e sep thread, need to take proper fotos first

eugeneandresson and simonsays like this.
  11. hmss007 Oct 28, 2019

I'm wondering if we really have to open the back of the watch and get the serial number off the movement. I have the warranty cards with the serial number on it and opening the back would void the 2-year service warranty I have on it. As an example, I have a 2541.80 (Seamaster Diver 300M Quartz) that I'd love to have an extract from as it should be a birth year watch for my son - circa 2000 per the receipt. Would be great to have this to go with it. My only hesitation is "what if" it isn't from the year it's supposed to be from?

12. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 28, 2019

Can you get the back opened at an OB or AD, and a new gasket installed?

13. hmss007 Oct 28, 2019

My local AD needs to send it out to a trusted watch repair company, I don’t think it’s another AD, to open and maintain warranty.

I would hope the serial number on the warranty card would be enough. Or, would be good If Omega provided a way to get the movement serial number and keep any warranty in tact.

14. kov Trüffelschwein. Oct 29, 2019

You don’t need to open the watch. :)

15. super70 Oct 29, 2019

If you are sure that the warranty papers belong to the watch, no need to open it. Asking for an EoA can be done by the serial specified in the papers without a movement picture.

If you are not sure that papers belong to the watch / the movement ... and want to be 100% sure, than you would need to open it ...

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 29, 2019

For a 25418000, there is no serial number on the movement, only on the case. It should be on the back of the 7 o-clock lug...

Opening up as people are telling you to do, is useless on this watch.

Cheers, Al

kov likes this.
  17. Eve Nov 11, 2019

So they will let you order an Extract for a watch which is not in your possession?

18. kov Trüffelschwein. Nov 11, 2019

It has never been otherwise.

19. Eve Nov 11, 2019

OK, good to know, i had no idea! :thumbsup:

EDIT: but you do state in a comment, that its not your watch, or it doesnt matter?

20. vitriol Jan 2, 2020

Ok, that was incorrect assumption..
    I have 20 year old Diver 300 which I bought without the papers, 80002273 serial. I raised a Customer Service request to Omega and inquired about the details of this watch. Also, asked does it qualify for the Extract of the archives.
    Reply I received is :Wristwatch bearing the serial number 80002273 was handed over to the UK market in 2000, therefore it does not qualify for the extract from the archive service."

So close...:D

Edited Jan 2, 2020
    eugeneandresson likes this.