Forums Latest Members

New (improved) process for Omega Extract of the Archives

1. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Aug 9, 2019

Hi OF

From the threads earlier this week, I believe I jumped the gun with ordering extracts (i.e. I did it before people started posting, early on August 6th). Well, seems the team is seriously on the ball, as I just received (after what, 3 days?!) the following email ...

upload_2019-8-9_15-48-56.png

If you will notice what it says in the middle of the page ... extracts now available in pdf from your account :eek:.

So, taking a look I see ...

upload_2019-8-9_15-50-54.png

You will notice the new text at the top, which is correct : it serves as no guarantee of anything, other than what info they can correlate with what data I provided. I did not send in my watch (I guess I could have) but I did send in the pictures. The paper copy is in the post, so will confirm that its identical...however, I don't see why it wont be.

Also, we get Mr Protopapas signiture :thumbsup: Again, will confirm once the paper one is in hand.

Well done Omega Brand Heritage team, this is outstanding.

Edit : the paper copy came 2 weeks later, it is much reduced in volume and size, and has a printed signature as per the pdf.

Edited Aug 24, 2019
  2. kov Trüffelschwein. Aug 9, 2019

I am really happy to see that the process went away from Raynald's manual signature. Not that I don't like to have his name or signature on my extracts but, to me, it just doesn't add any value... And it usually delayed the whole process by days... erk, no... by weeks (!)

At the end, the new process will provide the same relevant and interesting data, faster, which will not only help to confirm you've bought exactly what you've been thinking to be buying; but also eventually help to (quickly) get some reassurance before you buy.

Well done OMEGA, that's for sure one great improvement. :thumbsup:

Wryfox, DaveK, KingCrouchy and 5 others like this.
  3. ext1 Aug 9, 2019

Wow, an extract for a 2998!! What did you do to Clooney! :p

I do like the changes you've outlined above, but, I don't like how they have now a bunch of reasons they can not issue refund for. Some good some bad I guess... but I think this way it definitely makes project watches harder...

eugeneandresson likes this.
  4. abrod520 Aug 9, 2019

Yet for us in the States, we still have to fax it in and then pray for communication

5. kov Trüffelschwein. Aug 9, 2019

At least you don’t have to fax your posts to OF anymore, that’s already a huge leap for you the ´Muricans ;)

Tuna Cowboy, Foo2rama and kkt like this.
  6. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Aug 9, 2019

That’s pretty cool. :cool:

Thanks for posting that, @eugeneandresson. :thumbsup:

I wonder if I can obtain an Omega red envelope that houses the paper Omega extract...I have the paper Omega extract that came with my recently acquired 1964 Echo Whiskey but the Omega red envelope was not able to be located. It wouldn’t hurt to ask...so I’ll ask Omega if they would be willing to send me an Omega red envelope for an extract from 2015. I’m guessing that Omega Brand Heritage should be contacted. Does Omega Brand Heritage have a specific way to contact them? I didn’t see any contact info previously posted here.

eugeneandresson likes this.
  7. kov Trüffelschwein. Aug 9, 2019

@Mad Dog I can send you one of those envelopes if you don't get it from Omega. I have a box full of them somewhere ;)

kkt, Als 27, Speedmasterfan88 and 3 others like this.
  8. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Aug 9, 2019

In all honesty @Mad Dog I have only tried (and succeeded) to contact them once. I did it by phoning the number published on the website. That got me through to a receptionist. I spoke to her briefly, and she put me through ...

Edited Aug 9, 2019
    Mad Dog likes this.
  9. simonsays Aug 9, 2019

The disclaimers are a bit of an eyesore, funny to put them in pride of place.

jaguar11 and JanV like this.
  10. ICONO Aug 9, 2019

I have called them a number of times…from Reception onwards, they immediately convert to spoken English

They are friendly, open, and enthusiastic…and are happy to spend time talking …they actually get the ‘passion’ towards the Brand

pdxleaf, Caliber561, Mad Dog and 3 others like this.
  11. JanV Aug 10, 2019

So Omega, if your watching, please, pretty please can you change the location of the disclaimer? :thumbsup:

E7512194-EFC5-40AF-BE20-FA608C1226BA.jpeg
    kkt, Tet, jaguar11 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Sgt_Bilko Aug 10, 2019

Perhaps I should drink my first coffee before posting, but surely making these digital just means it will be 2 minutes before every con artist suddenly has an extract from the archives to prove the authenticity of their "Omega". Knowing that Omega now makes these available in PDF will make it that much easier to pass off as legitimate. Every "recently serviced" Omega on eBay will soon come with a certificate of authenticity as well.

13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 10, 2019

The fine print is fairly detailed.

Screen Shot 2019-08-10 at 5.42.59 PM.png

and I suspect that there are already bogus extracts based on original paper copies out in the wild.

Foo2rama and Lucasssssss like this.
  14. Sgt_Bilko Aug 10, 2019

Not many will read the fine print. They'll just see a convenient PDF extract from the archives "proving" this $300 Omega with the same serial number left the factory in 1987. No doubt there are a few dodgy copies of the paper ones around, but this just made it too easy. It needs some means of cross checking.

15. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 10, 2019

Well just ask "the seller" for a copy of the original paper version.

And as it's only available via a persons Omega account, I doubt that it'll be all over the internet, but as with everything nowdays, trust no one.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  16. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Aug 10, 2019

@Sgt_Bilko Read the disclaimer at the top of the new extract very carefully (perhaps after a second coffee). I agree with it, and I can imagine why it was done too, based on all the shenanigans of recent times.

Regarding pdf’s...I see that as a convenience more than anything else. I keep scanned copies of all my old extracts along with pictures of the watches, a lot of sellers take pictures of their extracts for sales adds, I don’t see how this is any different or impacts fraudulent people differently in anyway than what’s already available on the internet ...after all it’s the paper one which counts at the end of the day...

Wryfox likes this.
  17. Sgt_Bilko Aug 10, 2019

I scan all watch related documents these days like servicing and purchases for back up purposes as well. My problem with this is that it will surely be abused on a far larger scale to pull the wool over peoples eyes and that may actually undermine Omega in the long run.

It would have been far more impressive if they had installed some kind of digital safeguard that could be cross referenced, so people could know the document came from Omega and had not been edited. I am not sure what that system would be, but technology exists to prove the authenticity of digital products.

BatDad likes this.
  18. kov Trüffelschwein. Aug 10, 2019

I have had a conversation with them and gave them a couple of examples of how such a safeguard could easily be implemented. My district government has implemented it in a really simple and efficient way on all official documents they issue. I used it as example to get Omega inspired ;) ...hope it will go beyond just inspiration somewhen :)

BatDad, Longbow, gostang9 and 2 others like this.
  19. Sgt_Bilko Aug 10, 2019

To give a simple example, Bitcoin wouldn't exist without digital authentication. Unless Omega takes concrete steps, those PDF extract archives may just facilitate the market for fake vintage watches.

20. AriTheWatchmaker Aug 11, 2019

Was very excited when I got the email that the extracts were available again, but hen sad to see the dead web page link from omega, and no instructions for USA owners how to get the dang paper.
    Still have to fax (hello 1990!) them somehow? I have not found info except an offer from another OF member last month.
    Is there a sticky about it now?